Forum Index > Trip Reports > grand valley & olympic mountains traveling summit register
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
bobbi
stillaGUAMish

bobbi
stillaGUAMish
PostWed Aug 06, 2008 8:25 pm 
i had planned on heading to the obstruction peak area to retrieve the olympic mountains traveling summit register on moose 'mountain' but Ancient Ambler and MtnJohn beat me to it and placed it on grandview peak, peak 6701 by grand pass. i had to make a quick change of plans with my hiking buddies and decided to overnight at grand lake. no sooner had i walked to the WIC office to get my permit, a friend called and said that another friend had the group site on moose lake for tuesday evening. the more the merrier! the catch to this invite? 5 teenage boys and parents! huh.gif eek.gif
grand valley 8.5-6.08
grand valley 8.5-6.08
well, 3 of my buddies decided nope, no can do an overnighter with 5 teenage boys so they opted to do a day hike to grand lake instead, leaving my friend and i to have 'fun' with the boys!! shakehead.gif we all met at the visitor center by 9 am tuesday and followed susie and kate to the ridge. on our way to hurricane ridge we noticed the smell of burnt something. after some waiting for construction, we make it to the ridge. susie got out of her car and started @!#%& rant.gif she apparently left her emergency break on some of the way up the ridge road! shakehead.gif debbie who was going to ride back down with susie was hesitant. we hung out for a bit debating if her brakes will make the trip along obstruction point road and back. we voted yes, let's get on the trail as the temperature was rising! we made it to a packed parking lot-got our packs on. as with most of my hikes, we had to have some 'proof' of our hike so it was stop and go for photo moments.
grand valley 8.5-6.08
grand valley 8.5-6.08
grand valley 8.5-6.08
grand valley 8.5-6.08
well, after we got to the junction of grand lake and beyond to moose lake, we stopped and snacked on our lunch, then my friend and i said our goodbyes to the others.
grand valley 8.5-6.08
grand valley 8.5-6.08
we set up camp and waited for the rest of the group! they staggered in slowly and surely. i was getting restless so by 3pm, cindy and i got going to grand pass and to peak 6701 to retrieve the olympic mountains traveling summit register that AA left on the 2nd of august.
grand valley 8.5-6.08
grand valley 8.5-6.08
grand valley 8.5-6.08
grand valley 8.5-6.08
grand valley 8.5-6.08
grand valley 8.5-6.08
grand valley 8.5-6.08
grand valley 8.5-6.08
on the way we met several day hikers. i asked each one if they've been to peak 6701 and if the register was still there. yep! i figure if someone made a sneaky attempt and took off with the register, why bother heading to the peak agree.gif after we crossed this snow 'field'
grand valley 8.5-6.08
grand valley 8.5-6.08
cindy said she didn't like the looks of the trail for the return and opted to sit and wait for me to retrieve the register alone. i boogied to the pass, hung a right and made my way to the summit of peak 6701. this photo looking back on the way trail to the peak.
grand valley 8.5-6.08
grand valley 8.5-6.08
i took mandatory photos then it was time to return
olympic mountains traveling summit register
grand valley 8.5-6.08
grand valley 8.5-6.08
grand valley 8.5-6.08
grand valley 8.5-6.08
grand valley 8.5-6.08
grand valley 8.5-6.08
grand valley 8.5-6.08
grand valley 8.5-6.08
grand valley 8.5-6.08
grand valley 8.5-6.08
grand valley 8.5-6.08
grand valley 8.5-6.08
grand valley 8.5-6.08
grand valley 8.5-6.08
there were so many wildflowers but here are a few
elephant head
elephant head
old man whiskers
old man whiskers
bog orchid
bog orchid
jeffrey's shooting star
jeffrey's shooting star
gentian
gentian
we got to moose lake and snapped these photos
grand valley 8.5-6.08
grand valley 8.5-6.08
grand valley 8.5-6.08
grand valley 8.5-6.08
we got back to camp by 6pm and the teenagers apparently went fishing at grandlake, caught 11 brook trout, cleaned it even, and dinner was going to be served shortly! hungry.gif
grand valley 8.5-6.08
grand valley 8.5-6.08
grand valley 8.5-6.08
grand valley 8.5-6.08
this was my first mountain lake trout!! delicious! the boys were sure taking a long time to get settled when it was time to get to bed but the funny part was hearing Nick yell from his tent to his mom, "where's my pillow!" huh.gif finally, all was quiet until 5:30 am when our resident deer family returned, with buck chasing doe, teenagers buck and doe, and twin fawns! i quickly got my camera but too late. by 6:30 they returned and i managed to take this photo of the buck from my tent
grand valley 8.5-6.08
grand valley 8.5-6.08
after breakfast and other small talk, cindy and i got our gear and headed out.
grand valley 8.5-6.08
grand valley 8.5-6.08
we returned on the grand valley trail. it was hot at noon and the switchbacks on the rock slide area were cooking us. thank goodness for some creeks as we soaked our hats and shirts to keep us cool cool.gif the mosquitoes were awful but it was a beautiful hike and camping with 5 teenage boys. who knew! wink.gif

bobbi ૐ "Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting. So…get on your way!" - Oh, the Places You’ll Go! By Dr. Seuss
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
goats gone wild
Mr. Goat

goats gone wild
Mr. Goat
PostWed Aug 06, 2008 9:42 pm 
Good going, bc! Way to solo summit and camp with five smelly boys. winksmile.gif dizzy.gif biggrin.gif Your pictures of Grand Valley are indeed GRAND! I especially like the reflection in the lake. up.gif

.....leaving me wanting to return over and over in what ever capacity that may be, even if one day my knees are too old and I can only see the mountains from my porch. Jason Hummel
Tag Man
side hiller

Tag Man
side hiller
PostWed Aug 06, 2008 9:48 pm 
Good job bcfc53! Looking forward to seeing where the register ends up next. Those trout look good!

TPayne

TPayne
PostWed Aug 06, 2008 9:50 pm 
bcfc53 wrote:
teenagers apparently went fishing at grandlake, caught 11 brook trout
When Bryan and I were heading the day before you, we met a guy carrying a pole, we asked him if he caught anything, said "Nope, can catch fish everywhere else but here..." Either he's a really bad fisherman or was tellin us lies.

bobbi
stillaGUAMish

bobbi
stillaGUAMish
PostWed Aug 06, 2008 10:21 pm 
goats, you're back! where's your TR? thanks, it would have been great if cindy joined me to the summit but she was tired and got 'spooked' about the sketchy and slippery (dry dirt) trail. tag man: check out the Olympic Mountains Traveling Summit Register thread. i posted a photo of the next possible home of OM! tom: the boys fished grand lake and only stopped fishing because of the time. this morning after breakfast they headed out again and were successful in bringing back more trout for lunch!

bobbi ૐ "Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting. So…get on your way!" - Oh, the Places You’ll Go! By Dr. Seuss
Ancient Ambler

Ancient Ambler
PostThu Aug 07, 2008 6:23 am 
Great TR and pix, bcfc53. Sorry to move the "cheese" on you and force a change in your plans, but I figured more folks could get at the register on 6701 than on Moose, plus the payoff in views from 6701 is even better than from Moose. Looks like you had a grand old time, 5 teenage boys notwithstanding. I look forward to your TR from Jupiter. When are you heading up?

bobbi
stillaGUAMish

bobbi
stillaGUAMish
PostThu Aug 07, 2008 8:18 am 
AA-the trail to peak 6701 was a walk in the park agree.gif in honesty, i was glad that you got the register off moose 'mountain'. most likely i'll head jupiter on friday.