Forum Index > Pacific NW History > Info wanted on 1962 F-102 fighter jet crash on Peninsula
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostThu Aug 07, 2008 9:32 am 
Schroder wrote:
I have more than my share of aircraft stories. I've witnessed 3 mid-air collisions; once I was driving down the road and a light plane cratered straight down in the road less than 100 ft in front of my car; and I was a passenger in 2 helicopter crashes. I'm not a pilot.
So, youre a KAT and youve used up two of your nine lives. Best stay out of them whirly birds there Mr.. With that said, Id like to offer a prayer and respect to the nine men who died yesterday in a helicopter crash on the way to fight a fire. God bless all of them.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Schroder

Schroder
PostThu Aug 07, 2008 9:32 am 
I should probably finish the story I started on the C-141. The upper Dungeness was closed by the Park Service until that fall and troops from Fort Lewis, among others, were used all summer to remove every scrap of wreckage they could find. I understand from people who went into the site the following year that they did an excellent cleanup job & no trace of the crash was evident. I was there as a civilian - in Mountain Rescue. We participated until we could establish a landing zone for the military to get their personnel in.

Jeepasaurusrex

Jeepasaurusrex
PostThu Aug 07, 2008 11:33 am 
Schroder wrote:
I have more than my share of aircraft stories. I've witnessed 3 mid-air collisions; once I was driving down the road and a light plane cratered straight down in the road less than 100 ft in front of my car; and I was a passenger in 2 helicopter crashes. I'm not a pilot.
Had my fair share also. I was the 2nd on the scene of a experimental aircraft crash in Concrete. Guy tried to do a low altitude roll, stalled inverted and hit a big fir tree head on. He survived with only two broken wrists. Crashed in a Huey in Germany. We were doing a maximum performance takeoff out of Bamburg, when the #1 hanger bearing failed on the tail rotor drive shaft. The CW3 flying the bird did a great job keeping it upright, all the way to the ground as we were spinning like a top. The tail boom impacted a light pole, then the side of a house before we finally came to rest across a big drainage ditch. The nose was on one side, the beginning of the tail boom on the other. The skids never touched the ground! I tried to open my door, it was jammed. I pushed out the emergency exit window and dove out, forgetting to unhook the ICS cable from my helmet. Remember that scene from FogHorn LegHorn where the dog runs barking at him until he hits the end of his leash? Yup, that was me. biggrin.gif That was my only injury from the crash... mild case of whiplash.

"I would like to see things from your point of view, but I cannot get my head that far up my butt"
Schroder

Schroder
PostThu Aug 07, 2008 11:56 am 
My memory is getting bad. The crash was on 21 Mar 1975.

Schroder

Schroder
PostThu Aug 07, 2008 5:01 pm 
That was quite a Huey crash, JSRex. I was fortunate to miss out on a similar experience with the Snohomish Co SAR helicopter because I got caught up in traffic and they left without me. They flew up to Glacier Peak to pick up an injured climber near the top and when they were taking off, they touched the tail rotor into the snow. Next they hit the main rotor and flipped upside down, sliding down the Dusty Glacier into a crevasse. No injuries. The Huey was a total loss & we had to work for about 3 years without a helicopter.

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostThu Aug 07, 2008 7:01 pm 
Thank goodness for the lack of injuries. Remember the UH-60 Crash Hawk that augered in on top of Mt. Shasta a few years back?

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Jeepasaurusrex

Jeepasaurusrex
PostFri Aug 08, 2008 7:45 pm 
Schroder wrote:
That was quite a Huey crash, JSRex. I was fortunate to miss out on a similar experience with the Snohomish Co SAR helicopter because I got caught up in traffic and they left without me. They flew up to Glacier Peak to pick up an injured climber near the top and when they were taking off, they touched the tail rotor into the snow. Next they hit the main rotor and flipped upside down, sliding down the Dusty Glacier into a crevasse. No injuries. The Huey was a total loss & we had to work for about 3 years without a helicopter.
I remember that crash. The helicopter was recovered and rebuilt and is still flying today. up.gif What was amazing about the blackhawk crash, was the structural integrity of the crew compartment. It is one well built helicopter. We had one crash out in the Mojave desert at NTC. The cleared the top of a ridge with about 90% of the helicopter, but the tail wheel and tail boom hit the ridge causing the aircraft to nose over and slide down the side of the mountain. The pilots doors were both ground off the side of the helicopter and it was a total loss, but everyone walked away. Who can forget Anthony Reece's last crash? Did everything he could to keep the aircraft off the people on the ground after the engine ingested some ice off the top of the bubble.

"I would like to see things from your point of view, but I cannot get my head that far up my butt"
Schroder

Schroder
PostFri Aug 08, 2008 7:57 pm 
Jeepasaurusrex wrote:
I remember that crash. The helicopter was recovered and rebuilt and is still flying today. up.gif
Unfortunately not. It was a model H Huey & was a total loss. A couple of years later SAR got a model B Huey from the army surplus program & Highline Community College rebuilt it.

Jeepasaurusrex

Jeepasaurusrex
PostSat Aug 09, 2008 11:35 am 
Ah, thats the one I was thinking of. I knew the college had rebuilt one. Have quite a few hours in an H-model. Would love to fly in a B-model just for nostalgic reasons. biggrin.gif

Snow_Knot

Snow_Knot
PostSun Aug 10, 2008 1:34 pm 
Schroder wrote:
Jeepasaurusrex wrote:
I remember that crash. The helicopter was recovered and rebuilt and is still flying today. up.gif
Unfortunately not. It was a model H Huey & was a total loss. A couple of years later SAR got a model B Huey from the army surplus program & Highline Community College rebuilt it.
I did my first short haul/Rapp training on that B mod. smile.gif I have been on 815, and 816 ( I dont know if 815 is the same bird that is now Snohawk 10, or it it is the one that crashed after it was sold.) I saw the pic's of the glacier crash, and heard the story a few times. But I dont remmember who was on that bird when it slid. I would assume Tom, or Lee. but the crew slips my mind. I was in SAR in the late 80's to late 90's. I have been thinking about getting back into it, But work pretty much takes up most of my time, and I still am involved in SAR missions to a small extend as a dispatcher. I helped offload the last couple of birds, and parts with John when they came in. I remmember trying to find places to put the spare blades. They ended up in a barn off of three lakes ( Where the Snohomish Unit used to meet up) DS had a bird in his pasture for a bit also. Do you know what ever bacame of the old Bell? Schroder, were you around when the two planes mid-air'd over Snohomish west of Harvey field?... That was a huge mess of wreckage.

"Pinky, are you pondering what I'm pondering?" Well, I think so, Brain, but "apply North Pole" to what?
Schroder

Schroder
PostSun Aug 10, 2008 3:09 pm 
There were 2 mid-airs and I saw them both happen. The first was 2 small planes over the powerlines & 1 of them went into a barn; the second was a commuter plane & a Cessna that went down by the tracks. I watched someone fall to the ground strapped to their seat from that one. It took me a long time to get aboard another plane after that sight. I was about 500 feet away from the first crash when it happened & I was getting to the scene just as my pager went off. Tom and John were in the Huey when it crashed plus 3 others from Marysville that I won't name here (plus the injured climber). Each person got a piece of the main rotor as a souvenir.

Snow_Knot

Snow_Knot
PostSun Aug 10, 2008 11:06 pm 
Schroder wrote:
There were 2 mid-airs and I saw them both happen. The first was 2 small planes over the powerlines & 1 of them went into a barn; the second was a commuter plane & a Cessna that went down by the tracks. I watched someone fall to the ground strapped to their seat from that one. It took me a long time to get aboard another plane after that sight. I was about 500 feet away from the first crash when it happened & I was getting to the scene just as my pager went off. Tom and John were in the Huey when it crashed plus 3 others from Marysville that I won't name here (plus the injured climber). Each person got a piece of the main rotor as a souvenir.
I was at the mid-air for the Twin vs single eng. I also saw the pilot you saw strapped in the seat ( In the ditch )... That entire scene was a mess. I was also around for the cessna that went into prospect peak. Im looking at some of the old SAR maps, and I have a few grid's for some of the old plane crashes in this county. Im really starting to feel older then I am. biggrin.gif

"Pinky, are you pondering what I'm pondering?" Well, I think so, Brain, but "apply North Pole" to what?
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostMon Aug 11, 2008 8:14 am 
That 500 series from Hughes (now McDonald) can survive a crash like no other whirly bird! They're the best.

Schroder

Schroder
PostMon Aug 11, 2008 8:30 am 
Snow_Knot wrote:
Im looking at some of the old SAR maps, and I have a few grid's for some of the old plane crashes in this county. Im really starting to feel older then I am. biggrin.gif
There is/was a plane that sat up on Green Mtn for over 40 years. I'm not sure if it's still there. An amazing one that 2 people walked away from was on the west side of Stevens Pass in the early 80's. The pilot had no visibility in very bad weather and pulled back on the stick moments before they hit the trees, bringing their airspeed almost to zero. There was not much damage to the plane either.

Jeepasaurusrex

Jeepasaurusrex
PostMon Aug 11, 2008 8:30 am 
Snow_Knot wrote:
Do you know what ever bacame of the old Bell?
LOL.. funny story about that bird. One Saturday morning, we're eating breakfast at about 8am. We lived south of Snohomish in Clearview at the time. We hear this helicopter flying right over the house. So we step outside to see what all the commotion is about. They are hovering over my neighbors garden. The neighbor is out there, in his bathrobe pulling marijuana plants out and throwing them over the fence. He had them growing in between his rows of corn. The whole time, the rotor wash is blowing his bathrobe around, and he is buck nekkid under it. The pilot says over the PA "Give it up Dale, its no use, we got ya" rotf.gif rotf.gif rotf.gif