Forum Index > Trip Reports > Olympic Mountains Traveling Summit and Lake Register
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
wiki summary

wiki summary
PostSun Aug 17, 2008 12:54 pm 
Homes of the Olympic Mountain Traveling Summit and Lake Register: Oly the 1st: Buckhorn - Goats Gone Wild and HJT, retrieved by MtnWkr Oly Peak - MtnWkr, retrieved by Adrewzki Moose Peak - moosefish, retrieved by Ancient Ambler & Mtn John Grand View Peak - Ancient Ambler & Mtn John, retrieved by bobbi Mt. Jupiter - bobbi, retrieved by seattlehikertoo Mt. Rose - seattlehikertoo, retrieved by NWtrax Mt. Ellinor - NWtrax, retrieved by Shoo fly Colonel Bob - Shoo Fly (until it went missing in action) Oly the 2nd: Mt. Townsend - HJT, retrieved by HJT Welch Peak - HJT, retrieved by Jennifer S. and bobbi Maiden Peak - bobbi, Jennifer S, Jen's kids, Debbie, Cindy, retrieved by reststep Elk Mountain - reststep, retrieved by Captain Jack and Silly Traveller Blue Mountain- C.J./S.T., retrieved by Timmie and crabio Mount Zion - Crabio and Timmie, retrieved by ScottM Mt. Angeles - ScottM, retrieved by HJT Obstruction Peak - HJT, retrieved by bobbi, cindy songbird, & susie Ridge To Mt. Baldy - bobbi, Lisa & Neil, Debbie, retrieved by greendog Mt. Walker - bobbi, HJT, Lisa & Neil, retrieved by ADrewzki. Lower Lena Lake - ADrewzki, retrieved by Mossy Mom Ralph's New Place up on the Hill - Mossy Mom, retrieved by Olympic Hiker North Summit, Mt. Townsend - Olympic Hiker - retrieved by HiT Mt. Ellinor - HiT Oly the 3rd: Mt. Walker, North Summit - Hesman, retrieved by Ranger Rock Lower Lena Lake - Ranger Rock, retrieved by meck Mt. Muller - meck, retrieved by bobbi Lake Angeles - bobbi - retrieved by reststep Tyler Peak - reststep - retrieved by seekapeak Cub Peak - seekapeak - retrieved by meck Mt. Rose - meck - retrieved by Old Mountain Man Mt. Ellinor - old mountain man Missing in Action once again Oly the 4th: Valhalla Peak - reststep - retrieved by bobbi, blaze, bonita Eagle Point - bobbi & bonita - retrieved by Hesman Obstruction Point - Hesman - retrieved by meck (former) Lake Mills - meck - retrieved by bobbi Striped Peak - bobbi & Blaze - retrieved by reststep Green Mountain (Olympic National Park between Deer Park and Maiden Peak) - reststep - retrieved by reststep Silver Lakes Peak Buckhorn Wilderness (Peak 6030 above Silver Lake) - reststep: retrieved by bobbi, Michelle, and Cindy Bogachiel Peak-bobbi and Cindy E, retrieved it since no one else wanted to get it! Glines Canyon-bobbi * retrieved the register and placed it somewhere else. let me know if interested or just end it! Please link to OMTSR TR's to this thread if they are not posted within the Olympic Mountains Traveling Summit Register thread.

Wiki summmary last edited by bobbi on Wed Jan 03, 2024 7:53 am (this post can be edited by any member)
Back to top Reply to topic
seattlehikertoo

seattlehikertoo
PostSat Aug 09, 2008 6:32 pm 
Ok, sounds good...Thanks
smile.gif ...Looked at a map of Jupiter trail...Looks like I can take the 1040a ferry. This way, I don't have to reschedule my meeting, and still make it back before dark. I figure it's another 1.5 hours to get to the trailhead once I am off the ferry. I'll start hiking by 1p to 130p. That will be plenty of time. I'll bring extra essentials in case I get into trouble since I will presumably be by myself.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
bobbi
stillaGUAMish

bobbi
stillaGUAMish
PostSat Aug 09, 2008 7:16 pm 
seattlehikertoo: you do know it's NOT ON JUPITER YET! i am going to place it on tuesday. i'm just double checking because from your previous post it looks like you are talking about monday. please remember: the register stays on the olympic mountains

bobbi ૐ "Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting. So…get on your way!" - Oh, the Places You’ll Go! By Dr. Seuss
GeoTom

GeoTom
PostSat Aug 09, 2008 7:35 pm 
bcfc53 wrote:
please remember: the register stays on the olympic mountains
What if one were headed to Greece? Could they place it on Mt. Olympus* over there? hmmm.gif *I have no plans to actually do this.

Knows literally nothing
bobbi
stillaGUAMish

bobbi
stillaGUAMish
PostSat Aug 09, 2008 7:40 pm 
unless the mt. olympus in greece is part of the olympic mountains, i say yes, but, it's not, so no. biggrin.gif

bobbi ૐ "Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting. So…get on your way!" - Oh, the Places You’ll Go! By Dr. Seuss
reststep

reststep
PostSat Aug 09, 2008 8:10 pm 
Some likely candidates for the Olympic Mountains Traveling Summit Register (OMTSR). Hawk Peak Cloudy Peak Petunia Peak Mt. Fricaba Hal Foss Peak Reggie Peak Copper Peak Mt. Stone (That would be a long day hike however) Mt. Gladys Elk Mountain Tyler Peak Baldy Gray Wolf Mt. Angeles Mt. Crag That should keep us busy for the remainder of the year. This register hasn't been on Welch Peaks yet either so I suppose that is a candidate.

"The mountains are calling and I must go." - John Muir
seattlehikertoo

seattlehikertoo
PostSun Aug 10, 2008 12:15 am 
Yes, I know you meant Tuesday. That is the day I am going. Monday, I had thought about doing either Mt Daniel, or perhaps convincing my brother to climb the Brothers. The Brothers are out now and so is Daniel mad.gif bawl.gif Tuesday looks like the better day weather-wise. I've never done Jupiter, so great, I'll knock that one out and hope I can sneak away again Thurs, or Fri. hockeygrin.gif

bobbi
stillaGUAMish

bobbi
stillaGUAMish
PostSun Aug 10, 2008 8:02 am 
so, when will you be attempting to come to jupiter? i hope after tuesday so that OM could at least sleep a night on the mountain. otherwise you'll have to hike in slowly biggrin.gif with me. i'll make a gesture of placing OM on the summit agree.gif , and then you can take it and place it elsewhere. cool.gif my understanding again from HJT and Goats Gone Wild is that OM is to be placed for the time being on easier day hikes 14 miles RT or less. the brothers may be too much for now shakehead.gif

ADrewzki
Snow angels are hot

ADrewzki
Snow angels are hot
PostSun Aug 10, 2008 8:13 am 
I dunno what an "easy hike" is but when I retrieved it off 6559 in near Buckhorn, my GPS said it was 8.15 miles one way to the trail with 6200ft in elevation change. I wouldn't say I'm the best hiker in the world and I was traveling light, but it was doable in a day. Took about 10 hours and one sprained knee. biggrin.gif

reststep

reststep
PostSun Aug 10, 2008 8:52 am 
You would want to get an early start if you were going to do Fricaba in a day. You could do the approach up Milk Creek however. That might cut a couple of miles off.

"The mountains are calling and I must go." - John Muir
ADrewzki
Snow angels are hot

ADrewzki
Snow angels are hot
PostSun Aug 10, 2008 3:11 pm 
HJT wrote:
By easy, I mean that no technical climbing is involved.
Oooh. Well why didn't you say that in the first place? I had a funny idea to get the register and then find a way to float it out to the middle of a lake.

ADrewzki
Snow angels are hot

ADrewzki
Snow angels are hot
PostSun Aug 10, 2008 4:58 pm 
HJT wrote:
Can't think of every "rule" the first time around. It's a work in progress.
Excuses excuses. biggrin.gif lol.gif

seattlehikertoo

seattlehikertoo
PostMon Aug 11, 2008 8:29 pm 
Correction...you are the second best hiker Drew...but I agree. 14 miles is too short. That would disqualify Jupiter since it is 14.4 round trip unless you know a shorter steeper way. Looks to me like there is another way up the south face. Is this true?

seattlehikertoo

seattlehikertoo
PostMon Aug 11, 2008 8:46 pm 
Thanks HJT...Is that technical? Ok, enough of the ragging on each other, myself included...I haven't gone back and looked at all the rules, but since it wasn't my idea I will only suggest the following modification. 1) 17 miles round-trip limit since that would include ADrew's expedition 2) Brothers SHOULD BE included since I am told it is non-technical, and doable in a day for the very fit. However, subsequent placement must be on a LESS demanding hike of 10 miles or less and 3500 ft of gain or less. 3) Non-technical per 2 4) One week hold time max. If I can adhere to it from Seattle, people on the peninsula can. This will ensure that more people get a chance to place it. 5) You must post a photo of where it is on the summit

seattlehikertoo

seattlehikertoo
PostMon Aug 11, 2008 9:46 pm 
Nevermind about the cliffs route. I just researched it. It's technical according to what I read.

ADrewzki
Snow angels are hot

ADrewzki
Snow angels are hot
PostTue Aug 12, 2008 6:33 pm 
14, 15, 16, 17 miles. Whatever. I never thought of that 14mi as a hard number, more as a "guideline." And honestly, if I didn't want to hike past 14mi, I didn't have to. If someone wants to get the register, they will get it regardless of how far it is. I would definitely draw the line at 20 miles but 14 give or take is fine. If it's too far, wait for the next peak. biggrin.gif