Forum Index > Pacific NW History > Info wanted on 1962 F-102 fighter jet crash on Peninsula
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Schroder

Schroder
PostMon Aug 11, 2008 8:34 am 
John had a couple of hulls & parts at his house. I don't know what happened to them after he died.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Snow_Knot

Snow_Knot
PostMon Aug 11, 2008 10:50 am 
Schroder wrote:
John had a couple of hulls & parts at his house. I don't know what happened to them after he died.
Im not sure, I remmember surplus OH-58 airframes sitting around at East Station.( the one on three lakes) Im not sure if they ever made it to Taylors landing, or just got traded off for other stuff. We both know what a wheeler/dealer John could be. Im also sure that for years to come people are going to find stuff hidden all over the place. I know that they were cleaning up skymotive once, found cases of C-rations ( all just in nasty shape), old radios, and all sorts of strange odd's-n-ends. I would not think twice if someday someone says they find a 1000 sets of surplus military snowshoes in a cave around Monte Cristo. biggrin.gif I know that Taylors is starting to look more like a DRMO surplus yard now. That little Bell 47 is something I wish I would have gotten a chance to get a better look at.
Schroder wrote:
There is/was a plane that sat up on Green Mtn for over 40 years. I'm not sure if it's still there.
That might fun just to do a little more looking into. The stuff I have marked on some of these old map's is not that exciting, Lake Isabel, out around Haystack, stuff like that. Im sure most of them have been recovered.

"Pinky, are you pondering what I'm pondering?" Well, I think so, Brain, but "apply North Pole" to what?
Once Lost

Once Lost
PostWed Aug 13, 2008 2:08 pm 
2 dumb questions....where is Green Mountain located? Do you know if the plane wreckage on Green Mtn. is civilian or military?

Schroder

Schroder
PostWed Aug 13, 2008 2:17 pm 
Once Lost wrote:
2 dumb questions....where is Green Mountain located? Do you know if the plane wreckage on Green Mtn. is civilian or military?
It's not a dumb question there are at least as many Green Mtns as Red Mtns around here. The one I was referring to is on the Mountain Loop Hiway. It was a military plane. I don't know much more than that but the Sheriff's deputies used to talk about it all the time.

Jeepasaurusrex

Jeepasaurusrex
PostWed Aug 13, 2008 3:37 pm 
Sounds like a good enough excuse to go find it. biggrin.gif

"I would like to see things from your point of view, but I cannot get my head that far up my butt"
car68
Out on the skids

car68
Out on the skids
PostWed Aug 13, 2008 4:25 pm 
In May of 1976 I went to a plane crash on Denny Mtn that killed 6 people. When the mission was over and I went back to school, (I was still in High School) one of my teachers started giving me grief for missing classes. So I told him that I was hauling bodies off a mountain. He got real quiet and said he knew them. They were school teachers. He never gave me any grief after that.

I'm the guy 911 calls.
Snow_Knot

Snow_Knot
PostThu Aug 14, 2008 12:53 am 
car68 wrote:
In May of 1976 I went to a plane crash on Denny Mtn that killed 6 people. When the mission was over and I went back to school, (I was still in High School) one of my teachers started giving me grief for missing classes. So I told him that I was hauling bodies off a mountain. He got real quiet and said he knew them. They were school teachers. He never gave me any grief after that.
I have a story pretty darn close to that same situation, but it was for me missing 2-a-days for football, when the two cross country kids died on Mt Dickerman. Honestly I did not have the best grades, but I never got any lip about missing any class when I was out with SAR again. Honestly, I got a better "Education" about the real world my first 2 years in SAR then I ever got out of the school system. I will start doing a little snooping around about the crash up on Green Mountian, and see what I can find.

"Pinky, are you pondering what I'm pondering?" Well, I think so, Brain, but "apply North Pole" to what?
car68
Out on the skids

car68
Out on the skids
PostThu Aug 14, 2008 8:03 am 
Yesterday I had plenty of time to kill so I poked around the NTSB website. I discovered that if you enter missing for city location it will return reports of missing aircraft. Since 1962 there are 188 in the USA still missing. That does not include military and I'm sure the actual number is higher. It shows 3 here in Washington as still missing. It's like a classic mystery and I'm sure that's why some of us are fascinated with plane wrecks. Where did they go, how did they crash, who were they and so on. I remember one we went to in 76 or 77 that was a missing family from Canada. Had been missing something like 19 or 20 years until a hiker stumbled across the wreckage. My memory is a little hazy on that one but I do recall removing the bones from the wreckage. It was fascinating then and I still find it interesting. I agree with your comment about education and It's funny in a way that I'm doing again with the SO after so many years. Life seems to go in a full circle.

I'm the guy 911 calls.
cye

cye
PostThu Aug 14, 2008 11:17 am 
Green Mountain
There was an Army Air Corp plane that crashed on a "Green Mountain" in September of 1941 while searching for a missing B-18 Bolo bomber. I am not sure if this is the right Green Mountain or not but I believe it was northeast of Seattle. Both occupants of the plane survived and walked out which means the wreck must have been fairly intact. I am not sure what type of plane it was but it was probably some type of trainer, maybe a T-6 Texan or BT-13 Valiant. The missing B-18 Bolo was found a couple weeks later in the Olympics on the Southeast side of Mt. Constance, a long way from it's last reported position. It was never explained how the plane got that far off course.

Once Lost

Once Lost
PostThu Aug 14, 2008 2:10 pm 
Cye- Craig's database has a PT-17 crash listed on 9/22/41, however the location is listed as 'Grass Mountain'. Not sure if the location was listed correctly, or if this is a different aircraft than the one you mentioned. edit: I re-read your post and see that the crash you mentioned had 2 survivors, the one I mentioned was fatal for Hubert Croteau, most likely this was a separate incident.

cye

cye
PostThu Aug 14, 2008 3:17 pm 
Green Mountain
I'll go through my research material later today and find the exact date and names of the two survivors. I think it was a few days prior to September 22nd but my memory could be failing.

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostThu Aug 14, 2008 4:45 pm 
There's a wrecked Vultee BT-13 (Vibrator) crashed up on Crosby (Boner lake area). Ive got a couple hours on those buggers. Shake rattle and role. http://www.warbirdalley.com/bt13.htm

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
cye

cye
PostThu Aug 14, 2008 9:18 pm 
PT-17
Yes, I do have memory failure along with some conflicting information. The PT-17 accident and the mishap I mentioned are one in the same, September 22nd, 1941, which was incidently the same day the missing B-18 was found. I am going by newspaper accounts that say the PT-17 crashed on Huckleberry Mountain (not Green Mountain like I thought) near Enumclaw and that Pilot, 2nd Lieut. Hubert Croteau and Observer, Private Adene Jones escaped injury and hiked to safety. I can find no Washington State death record in 1941 for a Hubert Croteau. I did however find a mention of a pilot, Capt. Hubert P. Croteau, who was shot down and taken prisoner by the Germans in Sept. 1942. He belonged to the 12th Bomb Group which had been stationed at McChord Field in 1941 at the time of the PT-17 accident. I am pretty sure this is the same guy. Well anyway, I guess I have no idea what kind of plane crashed on Green Mountain. That will teach me to do a post purely by memory!

Schroder

Schroder
PostThu Aug 14, 2008 9:43 pm 
I'm remembering a few more: There was a CH-47 from Whidbey that crashed into to a rock wall by Perfect Pass when they were flying in to Mt Challenger to rescue an injured climber. They were caught in a whiteout. The crew chief survived & he was thousands of feet from the wreck & no one could figure out how he got there. I think this was around 1980. There's still a lot of wreckage up there. One of the more famous ones was Wing Luke's plane that disappeared heading east to west over the mountains in 1965. The wreckage was found in 1969 on the east wall of Gunn Peak. There was that WWII fighter plane that was found about 10 years ago & it wasn't disclosed until a couple of years ago after they removed the remains. That was in the Pasayten Wilderness.

Jeepasaurusrex

Jeepasaurusrex
PostThu Aug 14, 2008 9:55 pm 
You talking about the P-38 up on Baker? There is a PBY on Dolbergs Hill outside Granite Falls. I have searched lots of maps and cannot locate Dolbergs hill.

"I would like to see things from your point of view, but I cannot get my head that far up my butt"