Forum Index > Support & Feedback > Blocking responses?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Scrooge
Famous Grouse

Scrooge
Famous Grouse
PostThu Aug 14, 2008 10:33 am 
We have a way to "Ignore" users, although I'm not quite sure what that accomplishes. How about something that will "Block" particular users from posting to a thread we've started? Like spam blocking or unwanted caller blocking. I'm getting really ticked at Angry Hiker jumping in with his stupid one liners, after I've spent great time and trouble to prepare a carefully crafted report. You seem to have found a way to tone down some of the other "troll-like" members. How about giving us the ability to apply such restraints individually?

Something lost behind the ranges. Lost and waiting for you....... Go and find it. Go!
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
kleet
meat tornado

kleet
meat tornado
PostThu Aug 14, 2008 11:19 am 
While you might not appreciate a certain poster's comments, many others on the site probably do. When you post a TR, you're laying it out there for everyone to see and comment on, and perhaps not all will respond the way you want them to. I would venture to guess that most posters are happy to see that people are actually reading their TRs. I don't feel that TAH's comments took anything away from your TR. If you don't want TAH to post in your TRs, a sincere PM requesting that he refrain might do the trick. And the "Ignore User" feature really does work, if you're interested in avoiding the aggravation a certain poster's commentary brings you. Another option, I guess, is for us to lock your TR immediately after you post it, but I doubt you want that.

A fuxk, why do I not give one?
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostThu Aug 14, 2008 12:20 pm 
I like it. Could be a lot of fun messin' with Workman, Knot, Jeep, etc. on the next gun thread. Seriously though, I think kleet's suggestion is on the mark.

The Angry Hiker
SAR Blacklistee

The Angry Hiker
SAR Blacklistee
PostThu Aug 14, 2008 12:53 pm 
I have to agree with Scrooge on this one. I'm sick of posting a trip report only to find 20-30 one-liners in reply - or even the occasional two-liner, which is which is twice as bad as a one-liner. Three-liners are three times as bad as one-liners, but only one-third as bad as the nine-liners. Half the time, the comments aren't as congratulatory or appreciative as I deserve, or I just get a little thumbs-up emoticon. I got three thumbs-up in a row once and it almost put me over the edge. One more, and they woulda found me running naked down I-5 with a samurai sword. I wish there was some way to make people post exactly what I want to them to post, and in a manner I would prefer that it be posted, so that I don't have to strain my index finger using the little wheel on my mouse to scroll past their remarks.

joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostThu Aug 14, 2008 1:07 pm 
Tom wrote:
I like it. Could be a lot of fun messin' with Workman, Knot, Jeep, etc. on the next gun thread. Seriously though, I think kleet's suggestion is on the mark.
biggrin.gif I like it. In the meantime, I've in fact used the handy "ignore" button for at least one such poster and it has worked out fine... TAH - perhaps you could craft a style guide for TRs and we will all of course comply!

kleet
meat tornado

kleet
meat tornado
PostThu Aug 14, 2008 3:00 pm 
The Angry Hiker wrote:
I'm sick of posting a trip report only to find 20-30 one-liners in reply - or even the occasional two-liner, which is which is twice as bad as a one-liner. Three-liners are three times as bad as one-liners, but only one-third as bad as the nine-liners.
Holy chit! He's channelling Quark now!

ree

ree
PostThu Aug 14, 2008 3:06 pm 
The Angry Hiker wrote:
I got tree thumbs-up in a row once and it almost put me over the edge. One more, and they woulda found me running naked down I-5 with a samurai sword.
So that's what happened to Starjumper....! I like the suggestion of locking your own thread. lol.gif up.gif

David¹
Token Canadian

David¹
Token Canadian
PostThu Aug 14, 2008 3:34 pm 
I'll take any & all responses to my trip reports - sarcastic & otherwise My most recent unloved report and one from Karen² BTW - I think Angry Hiker is a riot & is certainly giving Kleet & Gil a run for their money as funniest NWHiker

Warning! Posts may contain traces of sarcasm. Hiking Website: http://members.shaw.ca/karenanddavid/Index.htm
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostThu Aug 14, 2008 3:56 pm 
I've never understood the ignore button. why would I not simply use my brain and ignore who I choose, just like in real life?

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostThu Aug 14, 2008 4:36 pm 
As far as Scrooge's concern, I can somewhat understand where he is coming from because not everyone is a regular here and not everyone knows that a certain poster is putting on an act. Even I am not 100% sure when the act is on or off - it isn't always obvious outside of the TRs. I don't think said poster should assume everyone here will automatically get it. It may actually turn some people away who are new here or not familiar with the act so I would be somewhat cautious about overdoing it, particularly when there is not sufficient context.

David¹
Token Canadian

David¹
Token Canadian
PostThu Aug 14, 2008 6:21 pm 
You think the Angry Hiker has a Stephen Colbert issue? He's pretty over the top and the avatar & sig are pretty silly as are most of his comments. I don't know that he's posted on any 'newbie' trip reports - perhaps he should take note of that and self moderate. He could also add a sig line like my own as a warning. BTW Scrooge is the one with a Stephen Colbert issue. He's a mad genius but most people just think he's a little mad

Warning! Posts may contain traces of sarcasm. Hiking Website: http://members.shaw.ca/karenanddavid/Index.htm
Scrooge
Famous Grouse

Scrooge
Famous Grouse
PostThu Aug 14, 2008 8:02 pm 
Something is seriously wrong with nwhikers. Why does every serious thread have to deteriorate in seconds into wisecracks or oneupsmanship or juvenile irrelevance. EXAMPLE: Workman's spotted owl thread nwhikers has a chatroom and it has "Thread Length". Plenty of scope for quick wits and funny people without any need to play games in the other forums, where their "jokes" only detract.

Something lost behind the ranges. Lost and waiting for you....... Go and find it. Go!
kleet
meat tornado

kleet
meat tornado
PostFri Aug 15, 2008 7:22 am 
Probably too late for those of us who've been here a while, but maybe we need to have a sticky in the Support Forum for new users with these warnings.

ree

ree
PostFri Aug 15, 2008 7:57 am 
I'd much rather get a teasing quip than no comment at all on my trip report. All of us have very different senses of humor. If you don't want anyone to tease you, or make jokes on your trip reports, why don't you write a disclaimer, asking for only serious commentary? Honestly, you could just LIGHTEN UP, and join in on the fun. up.gif That would be the best solution. up.gif smile.gif

ActionBetty
Im a dirty hippie!

ActionBetty
Im a dirty hippie!
PostFri Aug 15, 2008 8:09 am 
Is this thread for real ?

"If you're not living good, you gotta travel wide"...Bob Marley