Forum Index > Trip Reports > Olympic Mountains Traveling Summit and Lake Register
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
wiki summary

wiki summary
PostSun Aug 17, 2008 12:54 pm 
Homes of the Olympic Mountain Traveling Summit and Lake Register: Oly the 1st: Buckhorn - Goats Gone Wild and HJT, retrieved by MtnWkr Oly Peak - MtnWkr, retrieved by Adrewzki Moose Peak - moosefish, retrieved by Ancient Ambler & Mtn John Grand View Peak - Ancient Ambler & Mtn John, retrieved by bobbi Mt. Jupiter - bobbi, retrieved by seattlehikertoo Mt. Rose - seattlehikertoo, retrieved by NWtrax Mt. Ellinor - NWtrax, retrieved by Shoo fly Colonel Bob - Shoo Fly (until it went missing in action) Oly the 2nd: Mt. Townsend - HJT, retrieved by HJT Welch Peak - HJT, retrieved by Jennifer S. and bobbi Maiden Peak - bobbi, Jennifer S, Jen's kids, Debbie, Cindy, retrieved by reststep Elk Mountain - reststep, retrieved by Captain Jack and Silly Traveller Blue Mountain- C.J./S.T., retrieved by Timmie and crabio Mount Zion - Crabio and Timmie, retrieved by ScottM Mt. Angeles - ScottM, retrieved by HJT Obstruction Peak - HJT, retrieved by bobbi, cindy songbird, & susie Ridge To Mt. Baldy - bobbi, Lisa & Neil, Debbie, retrieved by greendog Mt. Walker - bobbi, HJT, Lisa & Neil, retrieved by ADrewzki. Lower Lena Lake - ADrewzki, retrieved by Mossy Mom Ralph's New Place up on the Hill - Mossy Mom, retrieved by Olympic Hiker North Summit, Mt. Townsend - Olympic Hiker - retrieved by HiT Mt. Ellinor - HiT Oly the 3rd: Mt. Walker, North Summit - Hesman, retrieved by Ranger Rock Lower Lena Lake - Ranger Rock, retrieved by meck Mt. Muller - meck, retrieved by bobbi Lake Angeles - bobbi - retrieved by reststep Tyler Peak - reststep - retrieved by seekapeak Cub Peak - seekapeak - retrieved by meck Mt. Rose - meck - retrieved by Old Mountain Man Mt. Ellinor - old mountain man Missing in Action once again Oly the 4th: Valhalla Peak - reststep - retrieved by bobbi, blaze, bonita Eagle Point - bobbi & bonita - retrieved by Hesman Obstruction Point - Hesman - retrieved by meck (former) Lake Mills - meck - retrieved by bobbi Striped Peak - bobbi & Blaze - retrieved by reststep Green Mountain (Olympic National Park between Deer Park and Maiden Peak) - reststep - retrieved by reststep Silver Lakes Peak Buckhorn Wilderness (Peak 6030 above Silver Lake) - reststep: retrieved by bobbi, Michelle, and Cindy Bogachiel Peak-bobbi and Cindy E, retrieved it since no one else wanted to get it! Glines Canyon-bobbi * retrieved the register and placed it somewhere else. let me know if interested or just end it! Please link to OMTSR TR's to this thread if they are not posted within the Olympic Mountains Traveling Summit Register thread.

Wiki summmary last edited by bobbi on Wed Jan 03, 2024 7:53 am (this post can be edited by any member)
Back to top Reply to topic
seattlehikertoo

seattlehikertoo
PostThu Aug 14, 2008 1:37 am 
Moose, that is just sick, phat, or whatever other vernacular you can conjure up. Is that a kid pack I see for that trek? nice camera work. I wouldn't complain about those sucker holes. They make for some great shots.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
seattlehikertoo

seattlehikertoo
PostThu Aug 14, 2008 4:23 am 
and here are the photos and a little narration. Btw, bcf, we met only about 1/4 mile from the summit at around 5400 ft... Because of the usual delays, I didn't catch the Kingston ferry
Kingston ferry dock. What is this?
Kingston ferry dock. What is this?
Lone fisherman between the pillars at beginning of Kingston ferry ride
Lone fisherman between the pillars at beginning of Kingston ferry ride
Bird perch at kingston ferry dock
Bird perch at kingston ferry dock
Lone fisherman at beginning of Kingston ferry ride
Lone fisherman at beginning of Kingston ferry ride
until after 10a. The fog was lifting, but I knew that precip was on the way with slim chances for views at the summit. The Mt Jupiter trailhead is at the gated end of Mt Jupiter Rd (how convenient), which switchbacks up through 6 miles (5 of the miles on dirt and gravel) of clearcut forest that was probably filled with 200 foot trees at some point in the distant past. The irony of using the road to go on a 14.4 mile nature hike resonated among my thoughts. The trail starts out at 2000 feet in a horrendous clear cut.
Near the trailhead looking SE across Hood canal
Near the trailhead looking SE across Hood canal
Ironically, I saw a bald eagle in the distance perched in a young tree. This perhaps symbolic of the forest's second life.
Look closely dead center, you'll see a bald eagle (thanks Kate/Bobbi for pointing it out)
Look closely dead center, you'll see a bald eagle (thanks Kate/Bobbi for pointing it out)
The trail climbs steep switchbacks from the get-go for the first half mile gaining over 700 feet.
Hood canal through the Amityville tree (2300 ft/.3 mi)
Hood canal through the Amityville tree (2300 ft/.3 mi)
It dips into the forest briefly, then back into clear-cut for another 1/4 mile or so. You gain the south side of the ridgeline about a mile up the trail at about 2900 ft elev. The trail ascends gradually from here into the forest for the next 1.5 miles mile gaining only 300 ft or so with some 10 to 20 ft dips and rises. You will notice what look like berry patches growing over the trail in sections, slapping your calves a bit. At about 2.75 miles in, you will go around the north side of a little ridgetop where you drop 200 ft or so over the next half mile in a pleasant, but monotonous forest. At about the half-way point after regaining some elevation, you'll come around to the south side of the ridge again. At 4 miles or so and still at around 3450 ft, there is a nice lookout area with views across the Duckabush river valley.
Approx 3250 ft/4 mi looking S across Duckabush River valley. Peakaboo view of Hood canal. Beautiful moss and wildflowers.
Approx 3250 ft/4 mi looking S across Duckabush River valley. Peakaboo view of Hood canal. Beautiful moss and wildflowers.
Approx 3250 ft/4.0 mi looking ESE along the ridge line. Trail runs around these 2 minor summits.
Approx 3250 ft/4.0 mi looking ESE along the ridge line. Trail runs around these 2 minor summits.
Approx 3250 ft/4 mi looking S across Duckabush River valley. Glimpse of Hood canal off to left (SE).
Approx 3250 ft/4 mi looking S across Duckabush River valley. Glimpse of Hood canal off to left (SE).
A little ways past that, I saw some wildflowers I hadn't seen or noticed before.
Wildflowers and ferns at 3400 ft/4.25 mi
Wildflowers and ferns at 3400 ft/4.25 mi
Wildflowers at 3400 ft/4.25 mi
Wildflowers at 3400 ft/4.25 mi
At about 4.25 miles you will head around the north side of another ridgetop, again, climbing back up to around 3450 ft. The next 1/2 mile takes you back to the south facing side again. The monotony of of all these flat stretches and ups and downs (I estimate 500 ft of elevation lost on the way up), however, is designed to lull you to sleep before an incredibly long stretch of Rhododendrons lining the trail. They are thickest from about 5 to 6 miles up the trail or between 4100 ft and 4400 ft elev. The only problem was they weren't in bloom.
Rhodies at 4100 ft/5.6 mi
Rhodies at 4100 ft/5.6 mi
Rhodies at 4400 ft/ 5.8 mi
Rhodies at 4400 ft/ 5.8 mi
The berries are coming out as well.
Berries again and again
Berries again and again
The berries are coming.
The berries are coming.
Berries under Rhodies
Berries under Rhodies
We are talking about 1.5 miles of Rhodies literally reaching across the trail. Above the rhodies, from about 6 mi on there were some nice patches of wildflowers and cliff formations.
Slanted tree surrounded by Wildflowers in the fog at 4600ft/6.1 mi
Slanted tree surrounded by Wildflowers in the fog at 4600ft/6.1 mi
Cliffs and wildflowers 4700 ft/6.2mi
Cliffs and wildflowers 4700 ft/6.2mi
Cliffs and wildflowers 4750 ft/6.25 mi
Cliffs and wildflowers 4750 ft/6.25 mi
Cliffs and wildflowers 4800 ft/6.3 mi
Cliffs and wildflowers 4900 ft/6.4 mi
Cliffs and wildflowers 4900 ft/6.4 mi
Cliffs at 5000 ft/6.5 mi
Cliffs at 5000 ft/6.5 mi
Lone yellow wildflower in hardy evergreen at 5100 ft/6.6 mi
Lone yellow wildflower in hardy evergreen at 5100 ft/6.6 mi
Daisies lining the trail at 5250 ft/6.75 mi
Daisies lining the trail at 5250 ft/6.75 mi
Wildflowers growing between rocks at 5350 ft/6.85 mi
Wildflowers growing between rocks at 5350 ft/6.85 mi
Wildflowers growing between the rocks at 5375 ft/6.9 mi
Wildflowers growing between the rocks at 5375 ft/6.9 mi
Rocks and scree dispersing the wildflowers 5385 ft/6.9 mi
Rocks and scree dispersing the wildflowers 5385 ft/6.9 mi
Sedum on the rocks?? 5400ft/nearly 7 mi
Sedum on the rocks?? 5400ft/nearly 7 mi
The last 1/4 mile to the summit is steep. The views are probably great, but I saw lots of fog,
Great camping spot just below summit
Great camping spot just below summit
Summit flowers growing better than in my yard
Summit flowers growing better than in my yard
Summit-Mt Rainier is out ther somewhere
Summit-Mt Rainier is out ther somewhere
Spire on west summit in the fog
Spire on west summit in the fog
Summit wildflower-I have this in my yard.
Summit wildflower-I have this in my yard.
More summit fog
More summit fog
Summit-Mt Rainier between the cloud layers
Summit-Mt Rainier between the cloud layers
Summit-I'm guessing SW view?
Summit-I'm guessing SW view?
Summit-I'm guessing W and SW view?
Summit-I'm guessing W and SW view?
and of course, the summit register.
Self-portrait holding the register
Self-portrait holding the register
Summit register 5701 ft/7.2 mi
Summit register 5701 ft/7.2 mi

moosefish
I am the fish

moosefish
I am the fish
PostThu Aug 14, 2008 7:07 am 
seattlehikertoo wrote:
Is that a kid pack I see for that trek?
The kid pack stayed at home with the kids this time, though I am contemplating a return at least to Moose Lake with my five year old daughter.

bobbi
stillaGUAMish

bobbi
stillaGUAMish
PostThu Aug 14, 2008 7:39 am 
only 1/4 mile and steep? super agree.gif although it seemed like a mile or more and straight up smile.gif the unknown wildflower is twinflower, my fave! (i'm a twinless twin frown.gif ) the sedum on the rocks ~ rockcrop i took the same photo of the fireweed by the ghost tree
mt. jupiter
mt. jupiter
great shots of the ferry landing ~ black and white photos are underused agree.gif easy picking for berries and OM!

bobbi ૐ "Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting. So…get on your way!" - Oh, the Places You’ll Go! By Dr. Seuss
bobbi
stillaGUAMish

bobbi
stillaGUAMish
PostFri Aug 15, 2008 7:54 am 
["seattlehikertoo"] Hello OM followers, The summit register has been placed on the summit of Mt Rose just beyond the "EL 4300" sign at the beginning of the outcropping. It is located in a hole under the surface of the rock to the LEFT of my pack in the picture.
Rose080814 031
Rose080814 031
Rose080814 032
Rose080814 032
Rose080814 033
Rose080814 033
Traffic was terrible getting over there, and I didn't start up the trail until 2p. Traffic was terrible on the way back as well = more time in the car than on the trail. mad.gif rant.gif Brief TR coming with pics.

bobbi ૐ "Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting. So…get on your way!" - Oh, the Places You’ll Go! By Dr. Seuss
bobbi
stillaGUAMish

bobbi
stillaGUAMish
PostFri Aug 15, 2008 7:57 am 
OM's home #6: Buckhorn - Goats Gone Wild and HJT, retrieved by MtnWkr Peak 6559 - MtnWkr, retrieved by Adrewzki Moose Peak - Moosefish, retrieved by Ancient Ambler & Mtn John Peak 6701 - Ancient Ambler & Mtn John, retrieved by bcfc53 mt. jupiter - bcfc53, retrieved by seattlehikertoo mt. rose - seattlehikertoo

NWtrax

NWtrax
PostFri Aug 15, 2008 10:06 pm 
in other news.... the register is now on Mt Ellinor. If you keep going when reaching the summit, it is between the big split rock at the end. had two wonderful hikes today! i'm now spent and will try and get some pics up tomorrow. a few folks are spending what must be a lovely dueling show between the sunset and a near full moon by the summit.

bobbi
stillaGUAMish

bobbi
stillaGUAMish
PostFri Aug 15, 2008 11:44 pm 
OM's home #7: Buckhorn - Goats Gone Wild and HJT, retrieved by MtnWkr Peak 6559 - MtnWkr, retrieved by Adrewzki Moose Peak - moosefish, retrieved by Ancient Ambler & Mtn John Peak 6701 - Ancient Ambler & Mtn John, retrieved by bcfc53 Mt. Jupiter - bcfc53, retrieved by seattlehikertoo Mt. Rose - seattlehikertoo, retrieved by NWtrax Mt. Ellinor - NWtrax

bobbi
stillaGUAMish

bobbi
stillaGUAMish
PostSat Aug 16, 2008 5:50 pm 
NWtrax, way to move OM!! up.gif up.gif can't wait to see your photos!! agree.gif

mossy mom

mossy mom
PostSat Aug 16, 2008 6:49 pm 
bcfc53 wrote:
OM's home #7: Buckhorn - Goats Gone Wild and HJT, retrieved by MtnWkr Peak 6559 - MtnWkr, retrieved by Adrewzki Moose Peak - moosefish, retrieved by Ancient Ambler & Mtn John Peak 6701 - Ancient Ambler & Mtn John, retrieved by bcfc53 Mt. Jupiter - bcfc53, retrieved by seattlehikertoo Mt. Rose - seattlehikertoo, retrieved by NWtrax Mt. Ellinor - NWtrax
Figures the register moves down here while I'm out backpacking and now it is too hot to go hiking. Still an early morning run up Ellinor might be fun...

bobbi
stillaGUAMish

bobbi
stillaGUAMish
PostSat Aug 16, 2008 8:26 pm 
awaken early and go get it on mt. ellinor, pest up.gif

reststep

reststep
PostSun Aug 17, 2008 9:46 am 
Kitsap Monday hikers mountain goat section is going to Ellinor tomorrow. I wonder if they will find it.

"The mountains are calling and I must go." - John Muir
mossy mom

mossy mom
PostSun Aug 17, 2008 10:06 am 
bcfc53 wrote:
awaken early and go get it on mt. ellinor, pest up.gif
I decided to spend the entire day doing housework instead. My husband did not clean up after himself at all while I was out backpacking for 5 days. I've got a lot of work to do. The house really stunk with 5 days worth of dirty dishes and used teabags and who knows what else lurking in the bottom of the sinks. Looks like it was a good idea to stay home, thunder is booming here: STRONG THUNDERSTORMS AND A STORM IN THE FORECAST By Dedrick Allan 17/08/2008 The air mass was becoming increasingly unstable over the area and is expected to become even more so tonight. The thunderstorms that develop tonight will pose a risk of dime size hail or larger. The area east of the Olympic Mountains will have the greatest threat of experiencing strong thunderstorms tonight. It is possible that the risk of strong thunderstorms could continue through the day Monday. A strong and wet storm system more typical of autumn will begin late Tuesday and continue through Wednesday morning. This system promises to bring significant rainfall to the area for this time of the year. Rainfall amounts of one to two inches are possible on the southwest facing slopes of the Olympics. Elsewhere, a quarter to three quarters of an inch is possible with some sites on the coast receiving near an inch.

NWtrax

NWtrax
PostSun Aug 17, 2008 11:19 am 
Get it while it's HOT! I made it over to the trailhead for Mt. Rose a little after noon. Made my way up, up, UP, and got the register around two o'clock. Jogged back to the car and had a cold beer (green lakes organic - deschutes brewery - bend, or) respectively smile.gif I saw no one else on the trail at all, but the sign in showed someone had came and left behind me. Got over to the upper trailhead of Ellinor about 4:15, there were i think 3 or 4 other cars. I started to feel the elevation of the day catching up to me almost immediately. I was a little short on water and i don't think the beer was doing me any favors. The flys got really bad near the juncture for the summer and winter routes. Applied some juice which kept them from biting, but were constant company all the way up. Spirits were lifted as i got higher up into some of the flowers. And i got another boost when greeted by a couple goats at the summit. It was a little hazy, but still nice views out an across the Olympics, down to the lake, and throughout hood canal and the sound. I saw a couple ladies set up for the evening just below Ellinor, and another gentleman i met just as I was coming down to the ridge had plans to camp up there as well. He was followed by two couples that were coming up just for the sunset and full moon. As I was driving back home along hood canal, it looked like they were getting quite a show. I had a great time moving the register forward and reading about some of the other journeys. I have some pictures up here .... http://www.flickr.com/photos/nwtrax/