Forum Index > Trip Reports > Pea Soup Lake (ALW - 8/15/08)
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
GaliWalker
Have camera will use

GaliWalker
Have camera will use
PostSat Aug 16, 2008 9:38 pm 
Aug 15, 2008: Pea Soup Lake I’ve waited a long time for this one. Ever since I saw the first photos of Pea Soup Lake I have lusted for it. Unfortunately, it isn’t that easy to get there: last year I had toyed with attempting to get there via Jade Lake, but the route was just too long. So, all winter long I researched alternate routes, finally coming up with one I was happy with. Last week I made my 1st attempt. 3hrs of futile brush-bashing in extremely wet conditions left me dispirited, but I did end up scoping out the correct route. (I must really thank Randy here, who not only confirmed my route this past week, but also took the time to address some of my questions/concerns. I blessed him all day.) Friday’s forecast was sunny and hot (Thank God, I wouldn’t have to deal with wet brush again!), so everything was set. An early start had me hiking from the Deception Pass trailhead by 4:50am. 1hr 50min later I reached Deception Pass and then headed south on the Pacific Crest Trail. Eventually, I reached the jump-off spot and was soon brush-bashing to make a 4,400ft meadow...and this wasn’t your ordinary garden-variety brush either: I think I only touched the ground about half the time, spending the rest suspended in branches over an unseen floor. Mercifully, it was short and I was out of it in about 30min. The meadow was quite pretty with snow-melt streams cutting through it. Also, absence of the bushy stuff was most welcome! Unfortunately, I was soon back in the brush as I ascended the next ridge where I was able to pick up an old, faint trail. I was able to stick to this trail almost all the way up the ridge. Soon things began to open up and I was gawking at stupendous views of Mount Daniel, towering above a lovely, secluded basin. The basin was almost entirely enclosed by towering cliffs; numerous waterfalls thundered into it, and then gathered themselves to form the roaring creek which cuts the PCT lower down. A steep climb took me to more open terrain and gorgeous meadows. Again, rushing streams lent music and drama to the area and it was difficult to remember that the main course was still to come. Finally, I crested a saddle and there it lay: Pea Soup Lake, a dream come true. This lake is just stupendous. The water color changes with the light, all possible shades of blue and green are represented. Mounts Hinman and Daniel are an awesome presence on one side, while Lynch and Diptop Peaks are a somewhat lesser one on the other. Ice chunks floated on the lake surface; in fact, I could periodically hear the crashing sounds of more chunks calving off the Lynch Glacier and dropping into the lake. Precious flowers sprouted amidst the rocky terrain, lending yet more color and atmosphere. I wandered partway up the slopes trying to get as much out of the experience as I could. Eventually, it was time to say goodbye, but my photographs will keep the day forever in my memory.
Dawn over Hyas Lake
Dawn over Hyas Lake
Start of the climb
Start of the climb
Morning light spilling into the meadow
Morning light spilling into the meadow
Secluded basin
Secluded basin
Pond reflection
Pond reflection
Bench over Hyas Lake
Bench over Hyas Lake
Perched above the cliffs
Perched above the cliffs
Almost in reach
Almost in reach
Tenuous life
Tenuous life
Snow-melt pool (1)
Snow-melt pool (1)
Snow-melt pool (2)
Snow-melt pool (2)
Fragile heather
Fragile heather
Reflections
Reflections
Sentinals
Sentinals
Shoreline to Mount Daniel
Shoreline to Mount Daniel
Rocks and Hinman
Rocks and Hinman
Cliffs
Cliffs
Clinging on
Clinging on
Colors
Colors
A dream attained
A dream attained
Cumulative stats: - Distance: ~16mi - Elevation gain: 5,250ft (High point: 6,300ft) - Hiking time: 12hr 45min - Trip time: 17.5hrs Trip notes: - Lots of bugs. - Brush-bashing in hot conditions isn’t fun, but better than when it’s wet. - Lost the trail (on the upper ridge) twice on the way down – each time resulted in icky descents. - 5 liters of water and 1 liter of gatoraide consumed (still ran out).

'Gali'Walker => 'Mountain-pass' walker bobbi: "...don't you ever forget your camera!" Photography: flickr.com/photos/shahiddurrani
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Movenhike
\m/..mmmmetal\m/

Movenhike
\m/..mmmmetal\m/
PostSat Aug 16, 2008 9:53 pm 
Supreme up.gif up.gif up.gif up.gif

"Make it your Friend" -John Bull
Grizzy
Yellow Cedar Hugger

Grizzy
Yellow Cedar Hugger
PostSat Aug 16, 2008 10:05 pm 
Gorgeous! up.gif up.gif up.gif up.gif up.gif

All the birds have flown up and gone; A lonely cloud floats leisurely by. We never tire of looking at each other - Only the mountain and I. ~Li Po~
silly_traveler
~ roaming ~

silly_traveler
~ roaming ~
PostSat Aug 16, 2008 10:26 pm 
WOW Gali! NICE work agree.gif up.gif That's one pretty lake cool.gif

♫ You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. And you're the one who will decide where you'll go. Oh the places you'll go. - Dr. Seuss
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostSun Aug 17, 2008 8:06 am 
Nice work Gali. I accessed PeaSoup via Jade lake when I did it. I think I'd do that again as you get to see Marmot and jade. Nice pics.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
GaliWalker
Have camera will use

GaliWalker
Have camera will use
PostSun Aug 17, 2008 8:09 am 
Thanks guys. This one meant a lot to me. (Only the first sights of Cyclone Lake and the Enchantments compare, though this was a lot harder.)
Backpacker Joe wrote:
Nice work Gali. I accessed PeaSoup via Jade lake when I did it. I think I'd do that again as you get to see Marmot and jade. Nice pics.
I visited Marmot and Jade last year (why doesn't anyone ever mention stunning No Name Lake?) and they are really beautiful. I looked longingly towards Pea Soup, but it was just a bit too far then.

'Gali'Walker => 'Mountain-pass' walker bobbi: "...don't you ever forget your camera!" Photography: flickr.com/photos/shahiddurrani
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostSun Aug 17, 2008 8:30 am 
Yes No name is nice, but not compared to Jade...... Its a bloody pond.... HA! hockeygrin.gif

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Gil

Gil
PostSun Aug 17, 2008 9:18 am 
Cool! up.gif

Friends help the miles go easier. Klahini
peltoms

peltoms
PostSun Aug 17, 2008 9:34 am 
Great job reaching the lake via that route. My first two visits were via that route, but since 1986 I have always traversed from Peggys Pond. I was on the glacier the day before you looking at the lake which this year is 25 years old at its current size. Though it lost the Pea Soup Color around 1990.
Lynch Glacier, Pea Soup lake
Lynch Glacier, Pea Soup lake
Probing lower section Lynch Glacier
Probing lower section Lynch Glacier
Did you notice the terrible condition of the forest above Hyas Lake.
Sick trees above Hyas Lake
Sick trees above Hyas Lake
We were so hot on leaving the area had to swim at the best swimming hole in the area.
Cle Elum River swimming hole at bridge to Cooper lake
Cle Elum River swimming hole at bridge to Cooper lake

North Cascade Glacier Climate Project: http://www.nichols.edu/departments/glacier/
Scrooge
Famous Grouse

Scrooge
Famous Grouse
PostSun Aug 17, 2008 9:44 am 
Peltoms said
Quote:
(Pea Soup Lake) lost the Pea Soup color around 1990.
Is that a sign of a stagnant glacier?

Something lost behind the ranges. Lost and waiting for you....... Go and find it. Go!
GaliWalker
Have camera will use

GaliWalker
Have camera will use
PostSun Aug 17, 2008 9:52 am 
Backpacker Joe wrote:
Yes No name is nice, but not compared to Jade...... Its a bloody pond.... HA! hockeygrin.gif
Tom, I agree that Jade is prettier (and of course, much larger) than No Name...but in its defence smile.gif :
How much prettier do you need to be?
How much prettier do you need to be?
peltoms wrote:
Did you notice the terrible condition of the forest above Hyas Lake.
Yes, quite saddening. frown.gif By the way, thanks for the aerial perspective! up.gif (PS. I always enjoy your reports and comments.)

Randy
Cube Rat

Randy
Cube Rat
PostSun Aug 17, 2008 9:57 am 
Great work GaliWalker! Glad everything worked out. I was there yesterday and it was as fantastic as ever.

Joe

Joe
PostSun Aug 17, 2008 9:59 am 
No Name is also pretty in the fall
noname_lake8
noname_lake8

Joe
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostSun Aug 17, 2008 9:59 am 
This is one of our favorite areas. The Lynch Glacier used to cover about half of Pea Soup Lake giving it the color. One of my favorite camp sites is on the knoll above On Eman Lake. There are a number of alternative routes but this is not the time or place for such discussions. Does anyone know if the tress are infected with the same beetles that are killing pine forests in B.C.?

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
GaliWalker
Have camera will use

GaliWalker
Have camera will use
PostSun Aug 17, 2008 10:10 am 
Randy wrote:
Great work GaliWalker! Glad everything worked out. I was there yesterday and it was as fantastic as ever.
up.gif