Forum Index > Food & Grub > Farmer's Market
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
PetDrAndrea
Penguin of Death!

PetDrAndrea
Penguin of Death!
PostSat Aug 16, 2008 11:12 pm 
I have to crow because I went to the Moscow farmer's market for the first time today...and got probably 5lbs of produce for $7 and some change! $2 for a pound of heirloom potatoes! And then we just had a bunch of said delicious, locally grown, organic veggies for dinner and it was delicious. Even the squash which I normally hate. I am going back every weekend... This is a rallying cry to NWHikers to head out to farmer's market and support their local food sources. It is a very delicious cause to rally behind! Also, read "Animal, Vegetable, Miracle," by Barbara Kingsolver which inspired my trip to the market in the first place...
Gorgeous harvest
Gorgeous harvest
Sliced artwork
Sliced artwork
Yummmm
Yummmm

For animals, the entire universe has been neatly divided into things to (a) mate with, (b) eat, (c) run away from, and (d) rocks. -Terry Pratchett
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostSat Aug 16, 2008 11:40 pm 
up.gif We get veggies from a CSA called the Root Connection down the hill a couple miles from us. The Sammamish Valley is claimed to be one of the 10 most fertile valleys in the nation. No matter - the veggies are awesome. They have u-pick basil, chard, parsley, flowers, and a few other things, which fills in nicely if you have some slack weeks (like this year, due to the cold start to summer). CSA = Consumer Supported Agriculture. We buy a share at the start of the season, and share in the risk of the farm. We get a weekly allotment. Seattle Tilth has a good page on ways to buy local food, including CSAs, farmers markets, and farm stands near Seattle.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostSun Aug 17, 2008 5:43 am 
I'm afraid my "carbon footprint" would be too big to go to a farmers market. It would be a 60 mile drive. I'll be attempting to grow my own next year. I say attempting because the property is rocky, and is one of the few that still has trees on it. We "ate local" a lot when I was growing up, and I hated my mom's canned stuff cuz she boiled it till it was mushy and slimy. Yuck.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
ActionBetty
Im a dirty hippie!

ActionBetty
Im a dirty hippie!
PostSun Aug 17, 2008 7:40 am 
mmmmmmmmmmmmmm veggies up.gif up.gif We have some pretty good farmers markets around this aways...lots of taters biggrin.gif

"If you're not living good, you gotta travel wide"...Bob Marley
Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostSun Aug 17, 2008 7:57 am 
PetDrAndrea wrote:
Yummmm
Yummmm
Ok, so i gotta ask. Whatcha makin with this? Wanna share the recipe? Stew? Thanks

It's pretty safe to say that if we take all of man kinds accumulated knowledge, we still don't know everything. So, I hope you understand why I don't believe you know everything. But then again, maybe you do.
PetDrAndrea
Penguin of Death!

PetDrAndrea
Penguin of Death!
PostSun Aug 17, 2008 9:11 am 
Newt wrote:
PetDrAndrea wrote:
Yummmm
Yummmm
Ok, so i gotta ask. Whatcha makin with this? Wanna share the recipe? Stew? Thanks
Since I was so excited by these gorgeous taters I wanted everything to be simple. I sauteed half an onion and about 5 cloves of garlic, added the thinly sliced taters, summer squash, and carrots and just cooked them up! I occassionally added some water so nothing would burn. And I seasoned with salt, pepper, a bit of brown sugar, a dash of cinnamon, and some garam marsala. It was fabulous!

For animals, the entire universe has been neatly divided into things to (a) mate with, (b) eat, (c) run away from, and (d) rocks. -Terry Pratchett
Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostSun Aug 17, 2008 6:06 pm 
Thanks. I just might have to give that a try. Looks good from here.

It's pretty safe to say that if we take all of man kinds accumulated knowledge, we still don't know everything. So, I hope you understand why I don't believe you know everything. But then again, maybe you do.
JPH

JPH
PostMon Aug 18, 2008 10:49 am 
We get all of our produce from McPherson's on Beacon Hill. Also, we live only 1/2 mile from there, so it's an easy walk to get stuff. It's awesome! up.gif up.gif