Forum Index > Trip Reports > Mt Baring – 8/17
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
11th Essential

11th Essential
PostWed Aug 20, 2008 9:42 pm 
Had great trip up Mt Baring last Sunday. Have eyed that peak for quite some time and it is always a very impressive sight from Rt 2 and from Barclay Lake. Didn’t have any luck generating interest on my Partners post, but my friend Eric and his buddy Jay were up for it. up.gif We started out from the Barclay Lake trailhead, followed the old road for about 100 yds. First came upon an avalanche chute with debris across the old road. We were only at about 2,200 ft and this debris still had patches of snow buried in it. About 20 yds past this chute we came upon the small creek that marks the trail. As advertised, the trip starts out as a steep climbers path. The path was fairly easy to follow plus had a bit of flagging.
What, you can't see the path ?
What, you can't see the path ?
It is steep though, with nary a switchback, and after a brutal hour of scrambling uphill we gained the ridge top at around 4,000 ft.
Eric coming up the climbers path
Eric coming up the climbers path
We then followed the ridge with nice views, and enjoyed a very welcome breeze as it was beginning to get pretty warm.
View of Baring from along the ridge
View of Baring from along the ridge
Eventually we came upon a cliffy area and the path traversed around it and then it was another steep climb up to regain the ridge at around 4,800 ft. Once gaining the ridge we had a clear view of the gully and the notch between the 2 peaks.
Gully to the Notch
Gully to the Notch
Starting up the gully
Starting up the gully
Midway up the gully
Midway up the gully
This gully was surprisingly clear of snow with only one snow patch to cross.
Crossing the snow patch
Crossing the snow patch
We got up to the notch in about 45 min
From the Notch, looking at the W ridge
From the Notch, looking at the W ridge
and then took a serious lunch break before pushing on to the summit.
Rest break above the Notch
Rest break above the Notch
Flowers up high
Flowers up high
This final path weaved through shrubby trees and rock field. Then with a little class 3 scramble we gained the summit.
Route finding
Route finding
Scramble to the summit
Scramble to the summit
Scrambling route
Scrambling route
From the top we had fairly good views. The humidity and clouds put a haze on everything but that didn’t diminish our exhilaration to have reached the top, 6,125 ft. It had taken us 5 hrs from the time we left the car.
Jay on the summit
Jay on the summit
All smiles on top
All smiles on top
Me on the summit
Me on the summit
On top
On top
Was easy to retrace out track all the way down and only took 3 hrs to make it back to the car.
Me heading down
Me heading down
The last part, from the ridge down to the old logging road, was the worst part as the heat and humidity made it feel like we were descending into a tropical rainforest. I think we sweated just as much going down as we did during the ascent of that section.
Finally down off the trail
Finally down off the trail
This was definitely one of the tougher hikes I’ve done this season. But now every time I drive out Rt 2 I’ll be able to look up at Baring and think, “I done that one…” dance.gif

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
ajax
stronger than dirt

ajax
stronger than dirt
PostWed Aug 20, 2008 10:35 pm 
Thanks for the tr. I think Baring would be a very rewarding summit, with its prominence to Highway 2 and the valley. Is that scrambling route picture as vertical as it seems? I'm trying to determine whether I'd be able to summit this one.

Bryan K
Shameless Peakbagger

Bryan K
Shameless Peakbagger
PostThu Aug 21, 2008 12:14 am 
I really want to summit Baring. My attempt in 2006 fell a bit short due to time constraints followed by a very fast descent down a section below the 4000' ridgeline. Thanks for the pics up.gif

11th Essential

11th Essential
PostThu Aug 21, 2008 7:31 pm 
Adam - the Scrambling Route pic is probably a bit deceiving due to the angle. There were only a few short sections that were pure class 3, holding on with both hands, and exposure was not bad at all. If you are comfortable scrambling up the haystack on Mt Si, then you would have no problem with the bit of scrambling needed to get up to the top of Baring. Getting up (and then down) the steep climbers path between the start of the hike and the top of the ridge at 4,000 ft was probably the tougher part of the trip. Good Luck up.gif

wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostThu Aug 21, 2008 8:15 pm 
up.gif up.gif Sweet, I was reading about that peak, and others in the area the other day. Nice pics /TR.

Living in the Anthropocene
rdyhiker

rdyhiker
PostThu Aug 21, 2008 8:29 pm 
Nice trip. up.gif And report.
11th Essential wrote:
Adam - the Scrambling Route pic is probably a bit deceiving due to the angle. There were only a few short sections that were pure class 3, holding on with both hands, and exposure was not bad at all. If you are comfortable scrambling up the haystack on Mt Si, then you would have no problem with the bit of scrambling needed to get up to the top of Baring. Getting up (and then down) the steep climbers path between the start of the hike and the top of the ridge at 4,000 ft was probably the tougher part of the trip. Good Luck up.gif
Always thought Baring was out of my league, but your description has me re-considering... and I'm looking for a tough, but doable, dayhike idea at the moment. How does the steepness of the climbers' path compare to say, Mailbox or Teneriffe?

11th Essential

11th Essential
PostFri Aug 22, 2008 6:50 am 
rdyhiker wrote:
Nice trip. up.gif And report. Always thought Baring was out of my league, but your description has me re-considering... and I'm looking for a tough, but doable, dayhike idea at the moment. How does the steepness of the climbers' path compare to say, Mailbox or Teneriffe?
Patti - sort of picture the steep part of those slopes, but going virtually straight up. Now the path does zig and zag around trees at times, and there are other times when little vegatation assist comes in handy. The only sure way to know what it's like is to check it out biggrin.gif .

Bloated Chipmunk
Cock Rock Searcher

Bloated Chipmunk
Cock Rock Searcher
PostFri Aug 22, 2008 10:11 am 
rdyhiker wrote:
Always thought Baring was out of my league, but your description has me re-considering...
ditto.gif Baring is now officially added to my to-do list. up.gif

Home is where the hiking is. "Peaks that have come and gone four times should halt a man in his steps." -- William O. Douglas A balanced diet is a margarita in each hand.
rdyhiker

rdyhiker
PostFri Aug 22, 2008 10:24 am 
11th Essential wrote:
Patti - sort of picture the steep part of those slopes, but going virtually straight up. Now the path does zig and zag around trees at times, and there are other times when little vegatation assist comes in handy. The only sure way to know what it's like is to check it out biggrin.gif .
That's pretty steep, alright. agree.gif Sounds doable though. Likely not in the same amount of time you did it, but doable. smile.gif I imagine the descent is even more tough than the ascent... ? If I can find a partner willing to punish their quads, I just may take your advice and check it out, Tom. Thanks.

rdyhiker

rdyhiker
PostFri Aug 22, 2008 10:27 am 
Bloated Chipmunk wrote:
ditto.gif Baring is now officially added to my to-do list. up.gif
(Note to self: check for new posts before you post a response.) BC: maybe we should tackle this one together?

braincloud
Summit Seeker

braincloud
Summit Seeker
PostFri Aug 22, 2008 11:40 am 
Every time I'd hike Barclay when I was younger I'd always look up in awe at Baring and wonder how hard it would be to bag it. Added to list.

MyCrookedPath.com The light at the end of my tunnel is a police car.
Bloated Chipmunk
Cock Rock Searcher

Bloated Chipmunk
Cock Rock Searcher
PostFri Aug 22, 2008 1:18 pm 
rdyhiker wrote:
BC: maybe we should tackle this one together?
Sure, although I'm a pretty slow-ass hiker. embarassedlaugh.gif So as long as you don't mind that, it's cool. biggrin.gif My next couple wknds. are already booked though...so maybe sometime after LDW...

Home is where the hiking is. "Peaks that have come and gone four times should halt a man in his steps." -- William O. Douglas A balanced diet is a margarita in each hand.
EastKing
Surfing and Hiking

EastKing
Surfing and Hiking
PostFri Aug 22, 2008 11:01 pm 
Mt. Baring is on my list too. I have two weeks off in September and hope to bag a lot of peaks!! up.gif up.gif

YouTube | SummitPost Saw the depths of despair. Now I am salvaging what time I have left on Earth.
tigermn

tigermn
PostSat Aug 23, 2008 12:26 am 
Baring Hmm.... By looking at that thing you'd think it is near impossible....

EastKing
Surfing and Hiking

EastKing
Surfing and Hiking
PostSat Aug 23, 2008 1:05 am 
I heard from some reports it is just Class 2. Kind of hard to believe when you are looking at the mountain.

YouTube | SummitPost Saw the depths of despair. Now I am salvaging what time I have left on Earth.