Forum Index > Trip Reports > Eightmile Mtn. 7996' 08.23.08
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Bloated Chipmunk
Cock Rock Searcher

Bloated Chipmunk
Cock Rock Searcher
PostTue Aug 26, 2008 12:03 am 
Surprisingly after last wk.’s well-publicized Mt. Phelps adventure I was able to sucker in another few peeps to accompany me up Eightmile Mtn. I advertised it as a day hike w/a nice easy trail to Eightmile Lk. & then some bushwhacking & scrambling up the nearby summit of Eightmile Mtn. Main lessons learned here: 1) It is not a day hike, unless you are super fast &/or start super early 2) Bushwhacking adds a lot more time than you think 3) “Easy ridge walk” means different things to different people 4) Todd, MountainMan, & Obitonykenobi have incredible endurance, patience, & powers of forgiveness. So here the story begins. I dragged myself outta bed @ 5AM & met Obi & MountainMan @ Obi’s place in Ballard ~6AM. We were soon on our way, though after several blks. I realized I’d forgotten my NWFP. doh.gif It only took a second for Obitonykenobi to pipe up & suggest we make a quick return for his pass, so we did. A few mins. later we were once again on our way. But wait! Obi realized he had forgotten his boots & camera. D’oh! doh.gif We returned quickly, meanwhile I tried calling Todd (we were to meet him @ the Monroe P&R) to tell him we’d be late but alas he had already left home so there was no answer. We got the last items & were on our way, finally, & witnessed a nice sunrise. up.gif Soon we were in Monroe, where we found Todd waiting @ the entrance to the P&R to make sure we didn’t miss it. From there he offered to be the driver. After piling into Todd’s car, we each took a slice of his home baked banana bread & were off. But wait! Obitonykenobi wanted to make a coffee stop. rolleyes.gif I used this opportunity for a piss break while the caffeine addicts got their fix. Once again we were off, not stopping until near Leavenworth. Todd wanted to swing by the Lk. Augusta trailhead on the way, hoping to find his fleece jacket in the parking lot. No such luck – all we found were freshly cut grass & a couple peeps unloading several horses from trailers. We drove back down the rd. & into L’worth where we made a quick check @ the ranger station. No fleece there either. down.gif @ this point Todd announced that his mind was @ rest regarding his fleece; he had accepted the fact that he’d never see it again. frown.gif We made our way up the Icicle Crk. Rd. to the Eightmile Lk. trailhead, which was jam-packed w/cars & one dumbass in front of us who almost decided to park right in one of the entrance/exit lanes of the lot. shakehead.gif They soon came to their senses & got out of the way. We parked on the shoulder which was about the only place left. We quickly donned the hiking boots, sunscreen, hats, & packs & were on our way up the trail. The temperature was very comfortable & soon I zipped off the legs of my pants. The others were content in long pants, fearing sunburns. cool.gif
The views from the beginning of the trail...
The views from the beginning of the trail...
Todd on bridge
Todd on bridge
Fire weed
Fire weed
The trail to little Eightmile Lk. is very easy & gives views up the valley to some of the mtns. of the Stuart/Enchantment range. Once @ the lk., we came across a very lg. group of maybe 20 hikers just sitting around along w/2 rangers. Obitonykenobi asked one of the hikers “Is this one big group?” The chick hesitated for a moment & sheepishly replied “Well..yes, but we’re not legally supposed to be this big.” Evidently the rangers must’ve caught them & was sorting out the situation. embarassedlaugh.gif Meanwhile we took a quick break for some photographs of the lk.
Little Eightmile Lk.
Little Eightmile Lk.
Little Eightmile Lk.
Little Eightmile Lk.
MountainMan & Obitonykenobi @ Little Eightmile Lk.
MountainMan & Obitonykenobi @ Little Eightmile Lk.
Trail junction
Trail junction
It’s a short distance w/a couple hundred elevation gain between Little Eightmile & big Eightmile Lk. & soon we found ourselves @ the shores of the latter where we all made a quick jaunt to the backcountry toilet (separately, of course) & had a quick bite to eat. While I was @ the pisser someone decided that we’d have lunch @ the far end of the lk. so we’d have a rest & thus more energy for the off-trail section of the hike. So, we hiked on the length of the lk. & had a leisurely lunch creekside. Here MountainMan tested his new water filter & Obitonykenobi took pictures. Todd had fun straddling a log & I had fun watching him. hockeygrin.gif
Eightmile Creek
Eightmile Creek
Todd, Obitonykenobi, & MountainMan having lunch by the creek
Todd, Obitonykenobi, & MountainMan having lunch by the creek
Creek
Creek
Obitonykenobi in the creek
Obitonykenobi in the creek
Obitonykenobi prepares for photography
Obitonykenobi prepares for photography
MountainMan & Obitonykenobi rig up MM's new filter
MountainMan & Obitonykenobi rig up MM's new filter
Todd straddles a log
Todd straddles a log
Who says men don't read the instructions?
Who says men don't read the instructions?
Time was of the essence so after realizing we should speed things up, we were off. From this point on up it would be off-trail/bushwhacking which would be slow going. Very slow going. shakehead.gif At 1st it wasn’t bad – somewhat open forest with some blowdowns to go over, then a meadowy area that almost had a boot path through it. @ this point we had started to angle to the SW, in the direction of the ridge between Eightmile Mtn. & the pointy peak to its south.
The beginning of the off-trail section
The beginning of the off-trail section
Todd in the meadow area w/our route above & beyond
Todd in the meadow area w/our route above & beyond
Todd & MountainMan in the meadow area
Todd & MountainMan in the meadow area
But soon the interesting part began. We got ourselves into some brambles & went Rambo-style. dizzy.gif We reached some areas where we had to crawl under low branches & we couldn’t tell where we were going save for Todd & MM’s GPSs. @ one point MM climbed a tree to get a better view of what lie ahead. The answer: More brushy crap. down.gif However, we could head to the trees slightly to the north & follow that up for awhile, which would likely be easier than the low brush. So after MM & Obi filtered more water, we got into the tall trees & headed up a very steep slope for awhile.
Bushwhacking!
Bushwhacking!
MountainMan is MonkeyMan (scouting our route from high in a tree)
MountainMan is MonkeyMan (scouting our route from high in a tree)
MountainMan & Tony filtering water
Soon we reached a gully, which looked nasty. eek.gif It was possible to follow it up for awhile, but the map indicated a dead-end cliff @ the top of it, still short of the summit & not very close to the ridge where we intended to go. Plus, 3 of us were a little gully shy after the Mt. Phelps incident. embarassedlaugh.gif We went up the gully only a short distance before turning left/southish to obtain a little ridge angling toward the summit. @ this point it was getting pretty late in the day & we knew we had awhile to go before getting to the top. Nevertheless we pressed on, taking short breaks for water/food/breathing. Nice shadows were forming on the nearby Mt. Stuart & others. up.gif
Eightmile Lk.
Eightmile Lk.
Views on the way up
Views on the way up
Tony in the gully
Tony in the gully
Obitonykenobi coming up the ridge
Obitonykenobi coming up the ridge
Boulder field
Boulder field
Stuart range
Stuart range
Nice shadows
Nice shadows
Mt. Stuart
Mt. Stuart
We reached a boulder field & turned more westish. The boulders were for the most part stable so the travel was easier & a bit faster. We heard pikas & marmots & managed to spot one of the pikas but it was too fast for the cameras, of course.
Boulders
Boulders
MountainMan, Obitonykenobi, & Todd coming up the rocks
MountainMan, Obitonykenobi, & Todd coming up the rocks
Todd & Obitonykenobi fell behind a bit while MM & I finished off the boulder field & finally hit the ridge between Eightmile Mtn. & the little double peak to its SW. Wow!! What a drop off on the other side!! hairy.gif Views were great! We saw Mt. Daniel, Glacier Pk., Mt. Baker, Mt. Rainier, Mt. Adams, & many others. @ this point we were expecting an “easy ridge walk” as indicated in other reports. WTF? confused.gif Where?! The ridge @ this point was knife-edged with a 2K+ drop to the west & the big drop off to the east where Todd & Obitonykenobi were picking their way up. Sunset was approaching (OK, it pretty much already happened) so we paused only briefly before continuing on up the ridge. This part involved some interesting maneuvers up the rocks, dizzy.gif @ one point a squeeze between two balanced rocks which I sincerely hoped were securely planted in the ground. paranoid.gif I looked back & Todd & Obi had reached the ridge & had serious reservations about going up the way I had & thus decided to backtrack slightly & take the route just below the ridge.
Ridge
Ridge
View down the other side of the ridge
View down the other side of the ridge
Ridge scramble
Ridge scramble
Obitonykenobi & Todd on the ridge
Obitonykenobi & Todd on the ridge
Spires on the ridge
Spires on the ridge
After a short bit of this we angled NE a bit, off the very crest of the ridge & away from the drop off to a less exposed scramble up the rocks. We could tell we were approaching the top of something, which MM’s GPS indicated was the summit. Soon we crested it & @ last reached the south edge of the summit. From here, it truly was an “easy walk” across it – the summit is broad & flattish. We made our way to the north end of it where there was a summit cairn but we found no register. We took a few summit photos & waited for Todd & Obitonykenobi. The light was quickly fading so we busted out the headlamps. After a few more minutes & the others not showing up, I grew concerned. frown.gif We headed back down a bit & I whistled for them. We found them a couple hundred ft. shy of the summit & Todd asked what was up. I told him we got to the summit & waited for them & then I asked if they were still coming up. Todd replied that Tony had temporarily gotten into a “predicament” & thus they held their position. strange.gif They sounded ready to head back down, evidently not too worried about making that last 200’. Plus, it really was getting dark! rolleyes.gif
The last bit to the top
The last bit to the top
MountainMan checking GPS on summit
MountainMan checking GPS on summit
Summit of Eightmile Mtn. w/Mt. Stuart behind
Summit of Eightmile Mtn. w/Mt. Stuart behind
So, we all started heading down, knowing it would be a long hike in the dark. Thankfully we were all prepared with warm (or warmish) clothes & lights. MM had the brightest light & therefore led the way, helping to supplement others’ lights. We stuck close together & MM & I often waited for Todd & Obi to catch up through the boulder section. We kept a close eye on MM’s GPS for the route down, only veering off slightly from time to time & generally taking the path of least resistance. We neared the lower ridge & took a quick snack break. We were all running out of food pretty quickly & knew to ration it to make it last as long as possible. The stars above were amazing! So many to see w/o the light pollution of the city. If we had more time the others may have set up their cameras for some star photos, but that clearly wasn’t happening tonight. I decided that after the Phelps & Eightmile adventures, we could call this group SNAB – Saturday Night After Burners. embarassedlaugh.gif We got to the ridge & followed it down what seemed like forever before finally reaching the nasty gully traverse. We must’ve taken a slightly different way as it looked different & had one particularly hairy spot w/a little ledge to balance on. eek.gif The moon was up & providing a little light, though periodically it would be shrouded by a thin layer of clouds. After the gully we went through some trees & found a rock field which was fairly easy to go down. We really wanted to avoid the nasty brush section we had come up, & for the most part was successful w/that. We had some brief encounters w/low branches & a side creek but eventually made it back into the forest & went in a more northeasterly direction. Lots of blowdowns to climb over & the temperature was dropping. I finally broke down & put on my last layer of clothing, which definitely helped. We were all pretty silent @ this point & sort of like zombies in the dark forest, too tired to complain about our extremely long “day hike”. Hours later we finally reached the main creek, where we promptly turned north. We imagined all the peeps camped @ Eightmile Lk. waking to distant snapping & cracking of twigs & imagining bears approaching their tents. We hoped the noise wouldn’t carry that far but who knows. It was almost sunrise when we reached the south end of the lk., & @ this point I was REALLY tired & was a stumblin’ fool. I felt as though I was dreaming, that there was no way I was still hiking this trail. But no, the others reassured me that this was no dream, I was still hiking on an adventure started long ago. By the time we reached the north end of the lk. a beautiful sunrise was forming. We took a break to check cell service & snap photos of the brightening sky. I managed to send a text to a friend I was supposed to go on another hike with that day, & asked her to relay a msg. to my brother (who was in town from NM & hoping to hike w/me on Sunday as well) to let him know I was OK & that I was still on the previous day’s hike. Not long later she texted back that she’d do so. smile.gif Then raz2sea called saying he was sick & unable to make the hike. No worries, I wouldn’t be able to make it either! lol.gif
Sunrise
Sunrise
Sunrise on Eightmile Mtn.
Sunrise on Eightmile Mtn.
Eightmile Lk. & Mtn. to the right
Eightmile Lk. & Mtn. to the right
Morning light on Eightmile Mountain
Morning light on Eightmile Mountain
The last 3 miles to the trailhead felt about as long as this trip report. shakehead.gif It went on & on & on. Poor Tony was stumbling all over the place & no longer cared much about seeing a bear. I was tired & one of my knees hurt but I just tried to ignore it. MountainMan was reaching the end of his rope as well. Todd however seemed to have hit a 2nd wind & wasn’t doing too bad, which was good since he still had a long drive ahead of him. The sun was higher up in the sky now & it was getting warm enough to take off my jacket & fleece. Not long later we reached the trailhead @ last. What a relief! Our 22.5-hr. hike was finally over! I couldn’t wait to sit down. We piled into Todd’s car & 3 of us promptly went to sleep (Todd being the awake one, of course). I woke up when he stopped @ the gas station @ the end of the Icicle Crk. Rd. where he filled up & forcefully cleaned the windshield. Next stop was the Nason Ridge rest area for free cookies & an attempt to clean all the pitch off our hands from all the veggie belays. I washed about 3Xs but it didn’t do much good. From there we all conked out until Todd reached Monroe & pulled into the Mexican place for lunch. hungry.gif We got seated by one of the front windows & not far from a crying baby which was especially annoying w/how tired I was. crybaby.gif Thankfully the family left soon thereafter, but only to be replaced by another family. down.gif For once I didn’t order a margarita (or 2) b/c I had to drive from Monroe to Seattle & I knew even 1 drink would put me to sleep. zzz.gif With full bellies we drove over to the P&R where we said our goodbyes to Todd & we got in my car & I dropped off Obitonykenobi & MountainMan in Ballard. Then, off to home where my brother was waiting & I had a long story to tell. redface.gif

Home is where the hiking is. "Peaks that have come and gone four times should halt a man in his steps." -- William O. Douglas A balanced diet is a margarita in each hand.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Movenhike
\m/..mmmmetal\m/

Movenhike
\m/..mmmmetal\m/
PostTue Aug 26, 2008 12:34 am 
WTF? 22.5 hours to summit 8mile? should I re-read? Nice pictures though, All in all looked like a fun time.

"Make it your Friend" -John Bull
Obi Tony Kenobi
Waterfall Crazy!

Obi Tony Kenobi
Waterfall Crazy!
PostTue Aug 26, 2008 12:44 am 
Eminem's Mountain
Well little did we know that we were about to get ourselves into a day hike that was going to go wrong, but because of the people I was hiking with, we all made it home safely even if it was 36 hours after we started. It all started with little clues that I guess were trying to tell us something. MountainMan and Bloated Chipmunk met me at my place in Ballard at 6am and off to pick up Todd we went, except we had to go back after going 15 blocks away, not once, but twice. First to pick up my Forest Pass because Chipmunk forgot hers, and then to go pick up my hiking boots because I forgot them. I guess those were our first to hints of things to come. We met up with Todd at the Monroe Park and Ride and then headed to the Lake Augusta trailhead to see if we could find Todd's lost green fleece. I wasn't there and it was either eaten by horses thinking it was grass or the lawnmower man shredded it to pieces. We gave the Leavenworth Ranger Station a try, but we had no luck recovering his fleece. We finally got to the trailhead and at 10:30 we started hiking the Eightmile Lake Trail, our final destination- Eightmile Mountain. When we got to Little Eightmile Lake, we came across a huge group of idiots that don't know how to read trailhead signs in regard to group sizes. The group was about 35 people big and there to greet them was two Forest Service Park Rangers to stop them. I spoke to one of them and it seems the group wasn't too happy with the Rangers, but hey, the rules are there to protect our trails from groups like these.
Little Eightmile Lake
Little Eightmile Lake
After taking a few picture off we went to Eightmile Creek to eat our lunch and then make our way up Eminem's neighborhood.
MountainMan, Todd, and Bloated Chipmunk having lunch
MountainMan, Todd, and Bloated Chipmunk having lunch
Eightmile Creek
Eightmile Creek
Small Falls on Eightmile Creek
Small Falls on Eightmile Creek
We went upstream Eightmile Creek through lots of blow down trees and when we reached the clearing, we headed north towards Eightmile Mountain. There to greet us was Rambo. No, not Sylvester Stallone, but heavy thick brush that made bushwhacking feel like if were traversing the Jungles of Vietnam. After making it up 1,500 feet or so, I suggested we head east towards the trees since where there are trees, usually the ground is more open. We then got to a spring and we decided to refill with water and good thing we did. Later a bee was buzzing around me and MountainMan shooed it away and instead decided to fly up his hiking pants and sting him in the knee. Later I got stung by something right above my ankle that left me with a burning sensation for a while. I guess Eminem decided to make the summit to his mountain as rough as his neighborhood street.
Todd below Eightmile Mountain
Todd below Eightmile Mountain
At around 5,000 we then headed back in a westerly direction to cross the gully. Crossing it was not fun and the rock was loose all around it with a very loose soil that almost felt like powdered sugar, no doubt the work of snow. After crossing the gully carefully we headed towards the large talus/boulder field around 5,700 feet between the summit of Eightmile Mountain and the peak west of it. The boulder field was very unstable and we had to be careful of where we put our weight for the fear of letting some boulders loose. At around 6,000 ft, being 4:30, Todd mentioned "when do we turn around?" Bloated Chipmunk's response was "When we get to the summit!" Later I said "I think we have hit Bingo time, the sun won’t be up much longer." At around 8pm we hit the ridge and that is where I called it quits. I had made it to 7746 ft, 250 ft from the summit. I was disappointed not to make the summit, but by then I was thinking safety and wasn't going to let Summit Fever over take me. I took a look at that ridge and knew it was a class 2 or 3 scramble, took a look behind me and saw that the sun was now below the mountain range and that was it for me. Just took a few pics of Mount Stuart and Glacier Peak and started making my way down to meet Todd who had also decided not to go up. We waited for a while for MM and BC to come down from the summit, and then we became a little uncomfortable. We started yelling BC's name together and blew my emergency whistle and no response. 30 minutes must have gone by and we decided to go a bit east below the ridge to wait for them. They finally showed up to our relief and determined the only way down was the way we came up. They were hoping for an easier way down via Lake Caroline, but the only way down there was by doing it the Lemming way.
Mount Stuart
Mount Stuart
Ice Cliff Glacier on Mount Stuart
Ice Cliff Glacier on Mount Stuart
Sunset over Glacier Peak
Sunset over Glacier Peak
Glacier Peak
Glacier Peak
By now it was 9:30 and Jupiter was bright and the stars started shinning. In my head I started asking myself what have I gotten myself into? Next the Milky Way came into view. Now before I left, something told me to grab my headlamp "just in case." Good thing I did because that was the only way off that mountain. Todd had to be at work by 5 am, so he needed to get off that mountain. I seriously considered making a case to just spending the night up there and finding a large boulder area for where to make a shelter, but Mountain Man kindly reminded me that we were close to 8000 ft and that wouldn't be smart, which reminded me that it was suppose to rain on Sunday and the last place we would want to be was up on the mountain were we would be an easy target for lighting, so staying up there was not an option. Plus as the night went by the beautiful view of the star was slowly disappearing as the clouds started moving in. so we all got our headlamps and started making our way down heading east. We wanted to avoid crossing the gully where we did earlier and here and there we would hear a boulder come loose and make noise as it tumbled down only to go silent for a few seconds and then hit the ground far below to continue its riot down the mountain side. We all stayed cool helping each other and then we saw a light across the valley at Mount Stewart. It was a backpacker and I decided to shine our lights in his/her direction to let that hiker know we were up on the mountain. The way I saw it was if something was to happen to us and friends and family started getting worried and they called SAR for not being back from a day hike at a reasonable time, that hiker would have noticed our lights and told the rescue parties he/she saw lights that night from across his camp. We finally got to the gully and then really carefully crossed it. My heart was racing knowing one bad step could be it, but we all helped each other and we continued on taking breaks. By now it was around 1:30 am and we were only at 6000 ft. We headed to the trees making a slow easterly descend to hopefully end above the lake and miss the Rambo area all together. Wishful thinking! We hit Rambo and we had no choice but to go in it. At around 3:30 we hit the trees again and it was blow down galore everywhere along with its special guest, Devil's Club and some other plant I nicknamed Devil's Babies. Was it painful going through those and all you could hear was ouch, ouch, ouch from the Devils and dead tree limbs poking you. Next we heard a tree branch snap at a distance and I knew it wasn't me and Chipmunk heard it too. That's when I said let stay rally close because that can be a bear. Just in case I had bear spray in my daypack. Todd and Mountain Man continued leading the way with their GPS units. They would each check each other’s route down to make sure we were in the right heading leading the way. We made sure we took little breaks here and there just enough to rest, but not get too cold. At around 4:30 am we finally hit Eightmile Creek. We followed it down till we hit its inlet into Eightmile Lake. Was that a sight to behold, never have any of us been so happy to see a lake again. It was just before 5 am and as we walked down the trail we made a stop near the outlet of Eightmile Lake to rest. Who would have thought we would see the sunrise twice- when we woke up to go on our hike and when we were heading out of our day hike. At 9:30 we finally go to our car. The hike back I could not walk straight dozing off as I hiked and seeing things (a rock would look like a tent for example). I didn't care to see my first bear in the wild anymore roaming the hills. Chipmunk and MountainMan were also dong the zombie walk. The only way I could explain Todd's walking abilities was because of his weird working hours at work.
Sunrise over Eightmile Lake
We made our way home and made a stop in Monroe to eat some food to quench our hungry bellies. At 3:00 I was finally home. My first stop was the bathtub and then naps on the sofa. After it was all over, I couldn't help but laugh at our adventure. I think we all learned our lesson and for me, those 10 Essentials are no longer unwanted weight and waste of space anymore. We all had emergency blankets just in case, but thankfully it never came to that. If I ever get stuck in a situation like this again, I hope I'm with Bloated Chipmunk, Todd, and Mountain Man, it was a pleasure getting stuck up there in that Mountain with them and not another set of people who may not have had such cool heads and would have not listen to everybody’s advise. The reason we got down safely was teamwork. We all worked together and made sure we were all ok. On a personal note, this was the highest I have ever climbed/hiked up to and the most elevation gain ever. Can't wait for more adventures with such a fine group of hikers!
Mount Stuart Range
Mount Stuart Range

gone

gone
PostTue Aug 26, 2008 12:48 am 
Unreal. I can't even imagine going sunrise to sunrise like that. I've never had to fight through that kind of overwhelming exhaustion before on the trail, and am not sure I could. So glad you all made it out safe. Congrats on making the summit (and making it back safely)! up.gif The colors in those sunrise shots of Eightmile Lake are just incredible. Can't wait to see all the other pics.

Stefan

Stefan
PostTue Aug 26, 2008 1:14 am 
Whoa. 22.5 hours. Are you sure? Sunrise to sunrise. That is a whole new ball game.

Art is an adventure.
Obi Tony Kenobi
Waterfall Crazy!

Obi Tony Kenobi
Waterfall Crazy!
PostTue Aug 26, 2008 1:29 am 
Stefan wrote:
Whoa. 22.5 hours. Are you sure? Sunrise to sunrise. That is a whole new ball game.
Yup, 22.5 hours, unless we were kidnapped by aliens and led to believe we were hiking all that time.

Kat
Turtle Hiker

Kat
Turtle Hiker
PostTue Aug 26, 2008 5:38 am 
Holee crap, batman! I would have bivied for sure - not by decision, by dropping comatose in my tracks! lol.gif Well that's an adventure you guys will remember for a long time! Glad you made it out safely - I'll bet you will all agree on a turnaround time next adventure wink.gif

Scrooge
Famous Grouse

Scrooge
Famous Grouse
PostTue Aug 26, 2008 6:17 am 
confused.gif How was that possible? Whatever happened to "turn around time"? Whatever happened to judgment and good sense? crazy.gif

Something lost behind the ranges. Lost and waiting for you....... Go and find it. Go!
Opus
Wannabe

Opus
Wannabe
PostTue Aug 26, 2008 8:09 am 
Wow, that brings a new meaning to "dayhiking" - the whole day hiking! dizzy.gif And I thought my Mt. Daniel dayhike was long last year. Glad you guys came out of it safely.

wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostTue Aug 26, 2008 8:23 am 
It's a great peak, and I remember Steve saying, "we walked right up from the lake with no problem", then he added, "in the 60's", well the avalanche swathe has changed considerably since, the slide alder is tall, godzilla - like, and the trees stacked up like match sticks, but it offers a diverse experience, we had a great time early season. Eightmile Spring 08

Living in the Anthropocene
tigermn

tigermn
PostTue Aug 26, 2008 8:58 am 
Yikes..... Yea no turnaround time? Glad everyone made it back. There must be an easier way up that thing?

wamtngal

wamtngal
PostTue Aug 26, 2008 9:14 am 
Holy crapola! eek.gif That was some adventure...

Opinions expressed here are my own.
joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostTue Aug 26, 2008 9:36 am 
Glad you made it back w/o injury and w/o having anyone calling out SAR for you. It is interesting to note some details in the report Wilderness linked to, particularly the fact of snow (which can cover a LOT of tough travel, both rock and brush) and that the ridge was "easy scrambling" rather than an "easy ridge walk," and it also left me wondering if you guys found the spot where they said they found it critical to hug the side of some rock formations in order to avoid some horrendous brush.

Bryan K
Shameless Peakbagger

Bryan K
Shameless Peakbagger
PostTue Aug 26, 2008 10:47 am 
BC is like the Siren of the mountains, she lures men into the mountains with her pretty face and voice then kicks their butts into oblivion!!!!! lol.gif lol.gif lol.gif

tigermn

tigermn
PostTue Aug 26, 2008 12:59 pm 
Sounds like there wasn't a designated "leader"/"organizer" to keep things moving enough and have a turnaround time/plan etc. I would have turned around long before, but I'm about as conservative as they come I guess... I carry the headlamp, but that's in case I really get in trouble, get hurt or something and really get stuck out there. Granted a planned night hike is one thing but...... rolleyes.gif shakehead.gif OK off the soap box. Glad everyone made it back OK (eventually). I guess I'm not sorry I missed this one smile.gif