Forum Index > Trip Reports > TNAB makes a claim on Humpback Mnt 9.4.2008
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Go Jo
of the lykkens

Go Jo
of the lykkens
PostMon Sep 08, 2008 7:57 am 
Let's preface this TR with my new mantra ~ When in doubt, always follow the Don. We found what appeared to be the right place and were joined by Eric, Joseph and Matt with Kona as we hit the trail. I had thought I saw Don's rig pull away and up the hill, but after discussion of previous trip reports, etc, we decided we would start here. Trail walking made it a leisurely pace and then we came to our first test, do we follow the road or turn right at the car bumper? Road signage and some exploration by Matt sent us, you guessed it, straight up hill. Must be right, TNAB rarely holds a flat line anywhere.
So up it was and we were loving the soft trail when we came upon the other road. Maybe this is Don's road? Inspection of the ground led me to believe that he was indeed dropping breadcrumbs for us in case we missed the 'huge' cairn that marked the turn to the trail. We threw Kona in the picture for size reference.
We made our way up through beautiful forests and across the ridge with peek-a-boo views of what was to come.
left behind
left behind
As we crossed the final talus field, softly applauding ourselves for leaving the dogs home, the sound of cheering rang through the range. We hardly noticed the wonderful Merlot Joseph had awaiting us, the views were too impressive to pull away from.
faster than a speeding bullet
faster than a speeding bullet
Don was also comfortably seated at the summit offering us salted nuts and a smile that said 'should have followed me'.
don is not a bear
don is not a bear
The cameras immediately came out... as did the cell phones if we're being honest here. Four bars from the top o' the world and everyone took advantage of the chance to let someone else know they were missing out blah.gif
true summit
true summit
getting chilly
getting chilly
Scott & Don played name that peak while we waited for the late start crew to crest the horizon and we watched what appeared to be a SAR helicopter over Granite Mnt. It chilled off quickly and we were excited to see Mark & East King climbing up through the rocks just in time for the sunset.
death defying moves by mark
death defying moves by mark
the only east king
the only east king
We're talking a jaw dropping, never seen anything like this before, totally worth climbing mountains sunset.
Group picture, a nod to Yukon in spirit as the canteen was passed around and then down, down, down.
Humpback Mt Summit Shot
Humpback Mt Summit Shot
I am happy to report that the trip down had nothing to report. My shorts were clean and shiny when we arrived at Pour House. Stats(pulled from another site so please correct me if they are wrong): Distance~approx 3.4miles Elevation Gain~2815ft

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Go Jo
of the lykkens

Go Jo
of the lykkens
PostMon Sep 08, 2008 8:59 am 
"makes a claim" Forgot to mention the gold pans and makeshift miner's abode we stumbled past on the road, heard part of our group dead ended in a mine also. Maybe we struck it rich? guess that will remain our sekret...

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostMon Sep 08, 2008 9:16 am 
A few more pix:
Silver
Silver
The Trinity
The Trinity
The Big Guy
The Big Guy
Another boring sunset
Another boring sunset

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Yet

Yet
PostMon Sep 08, 2008 9:38 am 
I heard about the beautiful sunset. WOW!

gone

gone
PostMon Sep 08, 2008 9:53 am 
Thanks for the report, Jo! Glad you caught a shot of that collapsing, dirt scramble marking the trail's start - I was so surprised to see it that I forgot to take one! Humpback is my new favorite up, up, up hike. I've enjoyed Mailbox since being introduced to it on a TNAB earlier this year, taking three attempts to finally tackle it, but this one beats it hands down. About the same steepness as Mailbox (sometimes better, sometimes worse), but with a mostly rootless, duffy, spongy trail floor that makes coming down a cinch. Add to that a thick forested beauty not found on Mailbox, and you've got a real winner. Now if I can just make it to the top! embarassedlaugh.gif I had hoped for an earlier start, but got out of my office late and wound up leaving just ahead of the group, which caught and passed me just before the upper road around 3,250'. With another hour for rest and fuel, I probably would have made the top, but with the impending darkness and increasing cold, even with Mark's encouragement, I felt like I had to turn around, which I did just after the rocks started at about 4,700'. Even with my elevation head start, I just barely outpaced the group on the way down, arriving at the cars about 5 minutes before everyone else. I can't wait to try this again, maybe this weekend. Some of my slowness might also be attributed to my getting acquainted with a new camera, a Canon PowerShot S5 IS. I spent a lot of time getting used to taking it out and putting it back into my new LowePro bag, as well as playing with the camera's numerous settings. At one point I was standing on my toes (it's that steep) facing straight up the hill trying to get a shot of the group disappearing into the woods ahead of me when both feet slipped out from under me. I hit the ground on both knees and slid downhill about 10 feet while the camera tumbled after me end over end. Luckily everyone and everything survived intact. Here are some shots:
Mossy trail
Mossy trail
Duffy trail
Duffy trail
Forest land marker
Forest land marker
Into the trees
Into the trees
Blue skies between the trees
Blue skies between the trees
Drippy shelf lichen
Drippy shelf lichen
Mountaintop pano view
Mountaintop pano view
Rainier sunset view
Rainier sunset view
I'm skipping Guye to backpack Deception Creek. Have fun and be safe!

Gabigabs
Trail Breaker

Gabigabs
Trail Breaker
PostMon Sep 08, 2008 10:09 am 
Beautiful pics.

Life is simple... Eat, Sleep, Hike!
EastKing
Surfing and Hiking

EastKing
Surfing and Hiking
PostMon Sep 08, 2008 11:46 am 
Here are more pics from the trip!! Mark and I took a more direct way to the summit. It was good training for the snowfields of Adams this upcoming week. It was a great time and good workout before I attempt Adams on Wednesday. The sunset was absolutely amazing!!!!! Great times and great views.
Humpback 002
Humpback 002
Humpback 003
Humpback 003
Humpback 006
Humpback 006
Humpback 007
Humpback 007
Humpback 008
Humpback 008
Humpback 010
Humpback 010
The group head down
The group head down
At the Pour House
At the Pour House
Humpback 022
Humpback 022
Humpback 021
Humpback 021
Humpback 014
Humpback 014
Humpback 013
Humpback 013
Humpback 012
Humpback 012

YouTube | SummitPost Saw the depths of despair. Now I am salvaging what time I have left on Earth.
Kat
Turtle Hiker

Kat
Turtle Hiker
PostMon Sep 08, 2008 12:22 pm 
ewb wrote:
Humpback is my new favorite up, up, up hike.
Might take a bit longer to hike this, unfortunately - depending on where the USFS decides to close the road after Hansen Creek.

gone

gone
PostMon Sep 08, 2008 2:44 pm 
Kat wrote:
ewb wrote:
Humpback is my new favorite up, up, up hike.
Might take a bit longer to hike this, unfortunately - depending on where the USFS decides to close the road after Hansen Creek.
Yep, I remember reading your post about this. It'll really depend on where they close it. Worst case, it gets another 900' of vertical. frown.gif

EastKing
Surfing and Hiking

EastKing
Surfing and Hiking
PostMon Sep 08, 2008 8:20 pm 
I am heading for Adams so I will miss you on the next round!

YouTube | SummitPost Saw the depths of despair. Now I am salvaging what time I have left on Earth.
Go Jo
of the lykkens

Go Jo
of the lykkens
PostMon Sep 08, 2008 8:27 pm 
EastKing wrote:
It was good training for the snowfields of Adams this upcoming week. It was a great time and good workout before I attempt Adams on Wednesday.
I heard a rumor that you're tackling Mt Adams this week East King, is it true? embarassedlaugh.gif
EastKing wrote:
I will miss the next round. I am heading for Adams!
Oh, it's already been confirmed! agree.gif Have a fantastic, safe & successful summit attempt. We'll be cheering for you as we toast on the peak souse.gif

tigermn

tigermn
PostMon Sep 08, 2008 8:56 pm 
What? Adams on Wednesday right? Should be back in plenty of time for TNAB Thursday evening? What's the problem? lol.gif

the Zachster

the Zachster
PostMon Sep 08, 2008 9:08 pm 
Sounds like another fun trip! I've only done Humpback in snow. It looks a little more, well , interesting the way you went. Especially in the dark. cool.gif

"May I always be the kind of person my dog thinks I am"
Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostMon Sep 08, 2008 9:13 pm 
What a lame sunset. rolleyes.gif
Who is the guy on the left, and how did he get those dog legs grafted in? Did it improve his hiking speed? Are the arms scheduled next? wink.gif clown.gif hockeygrin.gif

Schmidt Alti-Dude
4th class poster

Schmidt Alti-Dude
4th class poster
PostMon Sep 08, 2008 9:35 pm 
Quote:
Group picture, a nod to Yukon in spirit as the canteen was passed around and then down, down, down.
Humpback Mt Summit Shot
Humpback Mt Summit Shot
Apparently, the rest of the regulars were not missed. I guess we shouldn't even bother showing up anymore. tongue.gif

Anything stated by me in no way reflects the attitudes or opinions of my wife