Forum Index > Trip Reports > I'm such a tourist. 2008-09-14 Old Snowy Mountain
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Tag Man
side hiller

Tag Man
side hiller
PostTue Sep 16, 2008 8:47 am 
Looking at my pictures from last weekend I feel like such the tourist. Almost every one I have already seen from someone elses camera and point of view. Still the trip was awesome, and I can't wait until my next Goat Rocks adventure. I'm not sure of the mileage but I'm guessing between 13 and 15 miles. about 3200' gain. 8 hours
This is Split Rock and Mount Adams on PCT near Old Snowy Mountain in the Goat Rocks Wilderness.
This is Split Rock and Mount Adams on PCT near Old Snowy Mountain in the Goat Rocks Wilderness.
Split rock is much bigger than I thought it would be. I'm guessing four or five stories tall.
Funky Rock
Funky Rock
Seen this a few times before, nice to see it in person.
Yelverton Shelter
Yelverton Shelter
Yelverton shelter, or whats left of it. Curiously right behind the shelter is another one that I'm guessing is a memorial to the memorial. More like a cairn that someone decided wasn't big enough so they decided to turn it into a house.
Blank sign near top of Pacific Crest Trail high route on Old Snowy Mountain in the Goat Rocks Wilderness in Washington State.
Blank sign near top of Pacific Crest Trail high route on Old Snowy Mountain in the Goat Rocks Wilderness in Washington State.
Blank sign near the top of Old Snowy.
View From Old Snowy
View From Old Snowy
View From Old Snowy
View From Old Snowy
Views from near the top of Old Snowy.
This is the top of Old Snowy taken from the upper PCT route that avoids crossing the Packwood Glacier. September 14 2008
This is the top of Old Snowy taken from the upper PCT route that avoids crossing the Packwood Glacier. September 14 2008
Old Snowy. I didn't feel like climbing to the top. The view was good enough for me from the high point of the trail, plus I was solo so this was as far as I went.
Goat Lake
Goat Lake
Goat Lake, and Hawkeye point.
Snow Crossing
Snow Crossing
Not too sketchy snow crossing on PCT on shoulder of Old Snowy. This is not the Packwood Glacier or Glassier as Bear Grylls would say. Maybe seventy five to a hundred yards across.
Panorama from near the top of Old Snowy Mountain in the Goat Rocks Wilderness in Washington State.
Panorama from near the top of Old Snowy Mountain in the Goat Rocks Wilderness in Washington State.
Money shot. Pano from near the top of Old Snowy. The actual Snowgrass Flat eluded me again this trip. I was rushed for time however and did not galavant off trail too much. On my way back to my car, maybe a mile from the trailhead, I heard a snort and looked up to see the biggest bull elk I've ever seen (except maybe for the stuffed ones at Cabelas, but this one was close). I was not quick enough to shoot it (with my camera) before it bounded down the hillside. What a majestic animal. I'm surprised I saw it at all as some woman with a bear bell on her pack was behind me on the way down. I think the elk was probably after some salt that was, uhh, deposited on some vegetation near the trail if you know what I mean. Go to my website to see the video panorama I shot and please sign my guestbook.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Mount Logan
Canada's Highest

Mount Logan
Canada's Highest
PostTue Sep 16, 2008 11:13 pm 
Loves it. up.gif

Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostTue Sep 16, 2008 11:22 pm 
Awesome!! up.gif

touron

touron
PostTue Sep 16, 2008 11:24 pm 
We are all tourists on this planet. up.gif up.gif Nice pictures. up.gif up.gif up.gif This is a cool mountain.

Touron is a nougat of Arabic origin made with almonds and honey or sugar, without which it would just not be Christmas in Spain.
geophagous
65lbs for 3 days ;)

geophagous
65lbs for 3 days ;)
PostWed Sep 17, 2008 6:38 am 
We all take the same shots because they are beautiful shots, as yours attest to! Great job!

Tag Man
side hiller

Tag Man
side hiller
PostWed Sep 17, 2008 8:36 am 
Thanks for the kind words all. I really enjoyed the Goat Rocks both weekends I was there. Heres the Goat Lake report in case you missed it.