Forum Index > Trip Reports > Hope Lake, Mig Lake, PCT south of Stevens Pass.
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostMon Oct 27, 2003 9:25 am 
I went up to Hope Lake, etc, Sunday with my friend Craig and Daisy the Spoiled Wonder Dog. We started hiking at 10:45 and made the 1 1/2 miles and 1,200 VF to Hope by 12:30. The trail is in great shape, recently maintained, no washouts or missing bridges, just one log down, an easy step-over. There are some tilted boardwalks that are somewhat slippery, and some water pools to avoid, but otherwise just the normal slippery roots and such you might expect. There was very little snow anywhere, just a remnant clinging to shady areas. We headed north on the PCT to Mig Lake, and lounged in the hot sun while taking pictures and enjoying an icy-cold Heineken and some baked goods from Sultan Bakery. Next we went north some more, towards but not to Swimming Deer Lake, just to the last little pond before the ascent to SDL. There are some nice meadows in the area, and some good fall colors, as at Mig. We had another picnic, and then it was 4 pm, so we bailed. We got back to the car at 5:25, just ahead of complete darkness, good since neither of us had a light. (Craig forgot his, mine had dead batteries) While toweling off the pooch and storing our gear, a hiker came down the trail at great speed, stopping long enough to tell us "they" had been to "Slanted Slab Peak" or something similar. Next a whole group came by using headlamps, so we figured the hurrying guy had no lamp (like us) and so was trying to beat the night back to his vehicle. When we left, the trailhead was deserted, so apparently everyone made it OK.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message