Forum Index > Trip Reports > Teanaway Triple Play (Bill's, Devil's Head, Bean); 9/20/08
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
GeoTom

GeoTom
PostSun Sep 21, 2008 9:01 am 
Trip overview: Participants: GeoTom and Jasper (dog) Map: Green Trails #209 Mount Stuart Access: North Fork Teanaway Road to FS #112 Trails: Beverly Turnpike #1391, County Line Trail #1226.1, Bean Creek Trail #1391.1 with some unofficial trails and off-trail travel Mileage: Approximately 12 Elevation gain: ~5,000 cumulative gain Summits: Bill's Peak 6,917', Devil's Head 6,666' and Bean Peak 6,743' Details: Due to the poor weather forecast, Jasper and I changed our original plans of scrambling up Kaleetan Peak. Instead, we headed east to the dry haven of the Teanaway. It never rains in the Teanaway (except when it does). The skies were a pleasant shade of light gray at the trailhead, with no sign of rain. Yet. We counted several cars and a couple horse trailers. Since it was hunting season I threw my orange vest over my pack and (with a little resistance) put Jasper's orange vest on him. There was a warning sign at the trailhead that I had not seen before:
Trailhead warning
Trailhead warning
A bit closer to the junction with the Bean Creek Trail we saw another warning sign:
Another warning
Another warning
Even with those warnings, I was still a bit shocked to actually see the horse. Jasper and I moved quickly past it on the Beverly Turnpike Trail. It didn't feel like summer anymore as we made our way up the trail towards our first objective for the day, Bill's Peak. We encountered a group of three hunters a couple miles in and chatted with them for a couple minutes. Well, I talked while Jasper licked himself. They told me what they knew about that dead horse. As Jasper and I continued up the trail the smell of smoke increased. At first I though somebody had a large campfire going, but then I realized that it must be the Jack Creek fire coming back to life. The skies were very smoky.
Jasper in his vest, looking for JimK
Jasper in his vest, looking for JimK
First view of Bill's Peak
First view of Bill's Peak
We turned right onto the County Line Trail and continued to the junction with the Fourth Creek Trail. At the junction we headed off trail to the northwest, straight towards Bill's Peak. I had been up Bill's Peak a couple years ago with loper, and thought I knew the way. We made it, but like the previous trip, topped out on the slightly lower north summit doh.gif We made our way over to the real summit, and as I started up a gully, Jasper ran around to my left. I called him back, but he wasn't having any of it. Next thing I know he's at the summit looking down at me, wondering why I took the hard way up lol.gif The views were slightly obscured by smoke and clouds, and there was a strong wind at the top.
Jasper on Bill's Peak
Jasper on Bill's Peak
It wuz ez 4 me
It wuz ez 4 me
Mt. Stuart from Bill's Peak
Mt. Stuart from Bill's Peak
Ingalls and Fortune from Bill's Peak
Ingalls and Fortune from Bill's Peak
After a rest and food break on the top of Bill's, we retraced our steps and descended to the saddle and the County Line Trail. As we were heading east towards the saddle between Bean Peak and Volcanic Neck, we saw another lone hunter. He came over and we talked for a couple minutes. He wished us a safe trip and we parted ways. Soon we reached the saddle and had a decision to make. I had thought about heading around and past Volcanic Neck to Point 6,666 (known as Devil's Head). I was worried about the time as I had told Dani I would be home in time for dinner with friends. Jasper assured me we would be able to do it and get home in time, so off we went.
Almost to the saddle
Almost to the saddle
Our next goal, Devil's Head
Our next goal, Devil's Head
I had read that the 'route' swung around the west (left from our vantage point) side of Volcanic Neck. We managed to get around it, but what started out as a promising boot path disappeared for a while. The terrain was full of loose rock, but we made it around without too much trouble, and regained the ridgetop and continued north to Devil's Head. As we reached Devil's Head I felt a few sprinkles shakehead.gif They didn't amount to much though. We enjoyed another food break and slightly obscured views to Stuart and friends before heading back.
Stuart and Sherpa
Stuart and Sherpa
Soapy still dreaming of Stuart
Soapy still dreaming of Stuart
I paused to take a look at the route up Volcanic Neck. From some past and more recent TR's I was able to visualize the route. I decided to save it for another day as I thought it would be too risky trying to get Jasper up it and down safely. We contoured around Volcanic Neck again and found ourselves at the saddle north of Bean Peak. I had been up Bean Peak before, but scrambled up a gully on the west side. This ridge walk looked even easier, so off we went. Soon enough we were at the top and Jasper decided it was time for a nap. I spotted a couple hikers in Bean Creek Basin and waved. I don't think they saw me.
Back at the saddle again
Back at the saddle again
Hello Earl
Hello Earl
Bean Creek basin
Bean Creek basin
Ridge to Judy's and Mary's
Ridge to Judy's and Mary's
Nap time
Nap time
Proof I was there
Proof I was there
After another food and water break, we descended into Bean Creek basin. The first 50 feet or so was a little steep and Jasper needed a little encouragement and assistance past a couple spots. Once past those he again took the lead and kept looking back at the slow '2-legger'. We encountered the 2 hikers on the slopes in the upper basin. We chatted for a few minutes and then continued on our descent to the truck.
Bean Peak from Bean Creek basin
Bean Peak from Bean Creek basin
We managed to arrive at the trailhead at 3:02, and were on the road soon after. Light rain started at Easton and by the Snoqualmie Pass it was pouring like a late November afternoon. The rain didn't let up much all the way home. I managed to put my stuff away and shower before our friends arrived for dinner (they were even late lol.gif )

Knows literally nothing
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Go Jo
of the lykkens

Go Jo
of the lykkens
PostSun Sep 21, 2008 9:47 am 
GeoTom wrote:
Due to the poor weather forecast, Jasper and I changed our original plans of scrambling up Kaleetan Peak.
Bummer, we missed seeing you there, then we would have been able to see something on the summit. We've always wanted to bump into the Geos and there was enough fog that we might have done so literally...

GeoTom

GeoTom
PostSun Sep 21, 2008 9:50 am 
You guys actually went up Kaleetan then? If so, have you dried out yet? hmmm.gif

Knows literally nothing
Type E

Type E
PostSun Sep 21, 2008 9:52 am 
I was almost there to keep you company. I had changed my plans to go somewhere drier and then changed them into going back to bed. Glad you had a good day! E

Go Jo
of the lykkens

Go Jo
of the lykkens
PostSun Sep 21, 2008 9:56 am 
GeoTom wrote:
You guys actually went up Kaleetan then? If so, have you dried out yet? hmmm.gif
Will get to writing about it later today, but while we had no views, Mother nature was kind and waited for us to summit, have lunch, descend the scramble safely and put away our helmets before pouring on us for the next 3 hours back to the trail head. Couldn't motivate to climb Qwest peak and brave the rain again for today's Hawks game, so I stayed in bed to read TRs. Got to have priorities I guess rolleyes.gif

EastKing
Surfing and Hiking

EastKing
Surfing and Hiking
PostSun Sep 21, 2008 6:09 pm 
Great TR and photos!! up.gif up.gif

YouTube | SummitPost Saw the depths of despair. Now I am salvaging what time I have left on Earth.
wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostSun Sep 21, 2008 6:41 pm 
up.gif Nice shots of Stuarts SE side, through the haze.

Living in the Anthropocene
loper

loper
PostSun Sep 21, 2008 7:15 pm 
Funny, I was just thinking about my yearly trip to the Teanaways in search of larch............ Ya wanna do a longish hike/scramble to the Teanaways in a couple of weeks? I wonder if we could squeeze in Volcanic Neck? biggrin.gif wink.gif Glad you lucked out with the weather. Nice trip report! L

Bad Dog

Bad Dog
PostSun Sep 21, 2008 8:39 pm 
Thanks for not posting a picture of the dead horse! frown.gif

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote View IP address of poster
Bad Dog

Bad Dog
PostSun Sep 21, 2008 8:59 pm 
BTW, Holly loves Jasper's new outfit! ykm.gif

Jasper
Cascade Snow Pig

Jasper
Cascade Snow Pig
PostSun Sep 21, 2008 9:03 pm 
Bad Dog wrote:
Holly loves Jasper's new outfit!
I hate it. mad.gif I almost bit dad when he put it on me. Next time I think I'd rather stay in the truck than hike with that thing on shakehead.gif

Schmidt Alti-Dude
4th class poster

Schmidt Alti-Dude
4th class poster
PostSun Sep 21, 2008 9:18 pm 
Glad so see you made it out. We should of listened to you and tried to invite ourselves onto your dayhike.

Anything stated by me in no way reflects the attitudes or opinions of my wife
Ingunn
Hiking Viking

Ingunn
Hiking Viking
PostSun Sep 21, 2008 9:48 pm 
Jasper, you look very handsome and masculine in your vest! Damnit, this would have been so much better than spending our Saturday cleaning the kitchen.. mad.gif

GeoTom

GeoTom
PostMon Sep 22, 2008 9:38 am 
Schmidt Alti-Dude wrote:
Glad so see you made it out. We should of listened to you and tried to invite ourselves onto your dayhike.
There was no bowling during my hike though, so I'm not sure how much you would have enjoyed it hockeygrin.gif

Knows literally nothing
Bad Dog

Bad Dog
PostMon Sep 22, 2008 12:07 pm 
Jasper wrote:
Bad Dog wrote:
Holly loves Jasper's new outfit!
I hate it. mad.gif I almost bit dad when he put it on me. Next time I think I'd rather stay in the truck than hike with that thing on shakehead.gif
Jasper, Holly heard that they don't carry any salami or blue stilton for you either! shakehead.gif She will bring some along for you the next hike we do together. hungry.gif Do you prefer the stuff imported from Italy or will Oscar Meyer brand suffice? chow.gif lol.gif