Forum Index > Trail Talk > Beach walks - with 130" of snow at Stampede Pass .....
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Scrooge
Famous Grouse

Scrooge
Famous Grouse
PostWed Mar 27, 2002 8:30 am 
..... it's gonna be awhile before most of us do much in the mountains, and even the snowshoers might appreciate a change of pace. Down in "Links" MC has given us the key: http://www.ecy.wa.gov/apps/shorephotos/index.html - awesome aerial photos of the entire Washington coastline. Larch and I do a fair amount of beach walking, so I'll kick it off, but I'd really like to hear suggestions from the rest of you (if your favorite places aren't entirely secret). This one's the same hike I mentioned in Links. It's on the Long Beach peninsula just north of Cape Disappointment. We usually start at the North Jetty - http://www.ecy.wa.gov/apps/shorephotos/scripts/bigphoto.asp?id=PAC0540 - The beach erosion on that first couple hundred yards of beach, where the waves are focused by the jetty, is the most severe that I know of anywhere. Then we walk north on the beach to the base of the North Head cliffs - http://www.ecy.wa.gov/apps/shorephotos/scripts/bigphoto.asp?id=PAC0533 - There's a showerbath type waterfall that spills down the cliff onto the beach or, at high tide, directly into the ocean. Lots of driftwood to sit on. smile.gif The attached pic (not mine) is looking back at Cape Disappointment from near the base of the jetty.

Something lost behind the ranges. Lost and waiting for you....... Go and find it. Go!
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Lon Geyland

Lon Geyland
PostWed Mar 27, 2002 5:19 pm 
Check out Long Island which is on the southern portion of the WA coast. Bring a canoe or other small boat to make the short paddle across to the island (5 minutes). Then hike for a few hours seeing some of the hugest cedars you can imagine. Some were logged, but many remain. Worth the drive. Here is a photo of a former cedar tree (actually 2-3 trees next to each other):

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote View IP address of poster
Scrooge
Famous Grouse

Scrooge
Famous Grouse
PostWed Mar 27, 2002 8:38 pm 
Neat pic, Lon, and a good idea - if you've got a (small) boat. wink.gif Karen wrote up Long Island in the PI, and here's an aerial photo of the boat landing. This is a gull's eye view of a typical section of estuaries along the west coast. The road on the attached map is a section of 101 between Raymond and Long Beach. agree.gif dizzy.gif tongue.gif clown.gif It's been a long winter. paranoid.gif

Something lost behind the ranges. Lost and waiting for you....... Go and find it. Go!
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostWed Mar 27, 2002 9:29 pm 
Only thing to beware of is low tide. We camped there once and had to wait until the water came back shakehead.gif . Nice clams and lots of deer.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Lon Geyland

Lon Geyland
PostWed Mar 27, 2002 9:58 pm 
Yup Scrooge. Karen told me it was a great hike and even mailed me a map of the island. I'm telling you those trees are spectacular! I can mail you a copy if you are interested.

Dave Weyrick

Dave Weyrick
PostWed Mar 27, 2002 10:23 pm 
Check out Tatoosh Island off of Cape Flattery on the Olympic Penninsula. I was fortunate enough in the 70's to stay on the island with scientists and graduate students from the UW who were doing research. I've explored most of the nooks and crannies of the many islands there and watched gray whales from the cliffs. Yes, I did a bit of fishing off the rocks. I'd love to go back someday, its the neatest place I've ever been.

If I'd known ya was gonna use bait I wouldn't a brought ya!
Scrooge
Famous Grouse

Scrooge
Famous Grouse
PostThu Mar 28, 2002 8:17 am 
Hi Lon. - The map. the pic, or both? wink.gif I collect both. My e-mail's - heads1234@msn.com - We should probably use it if you need more information, and not clutter up the thread.

Wilbur

Wilbur
PostThu Mar 28, 2002 8:36 am 
Low tide is great for plocking around in the mud.