Forum Index > Photography Talk > Colors
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostTue Oct 28, 2003 7:13 am 
I'm wondering what the difference is between True Colors and Millions of Colors for PC's Thanks NN

It's pretty safe to say that if we take all of man kinds accumulated knowledge, we still don't know everything. So, I hope you understand why I don't believe you know everything. But then again, maybe you do.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
MooseAndSquirrel

MooseAndSquirrel
PostTue Oct 28, 2003 12:01 pm 
Newt, I just recently had experience with those settings on my computer: my video card supports 32-bit True Color (millions of colors) and 16-bit High Color (thousands). Some have 24-bit color (which I believe is milions as well). I have Win95. I had my monitor display set at 16-bit high color for quite a while and was getting banding in the display (wavy horizontal lines in the picture due to insufficient pixels). Changing it to 32-bit True Colors corrected that. For displaying photos on a monitor you want millions of color.- M&S

Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostTue Oct 28, 2003 12:51 pm 
16 bit color is 65536 colors. 32 bit color is 16,777,216 colors (I think).

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer
PostTue Oct 28, 2003 1:44 pm 
Sore Feet wrote:
Kinda. Thousands / 16-bit is actually 32768, with the last bit being reserved for alpha channel information. (2 ^ 15 = 32,768) 24-bit / 32-bit / True color are all pretty much the same thing. 8-bits per channel of RGB and 8-bits reserved for alpha channel. (2 ^ 24 = 16,777,216)

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke "Ignorance is natural. Stupidity takes commitment." -Solomon Short
MooseAndSquirrel

MooseAndSquirrel
PostTue Oct 28, 2003 1:53 pm 
Dayhike Mike wrote:
Sore Feet wrote:
Kinda. Thousands / 16-bit is actually 32768, with the last bit being reserved for alpha channel information. (2 ^ 15 = 32,768) 24-bit / 32-bit / True color are all pretty much the same thing. 8-bits per channel of RGB and 8-bits reserved for alpha channel. (2 ^ 24 = 16,777,216)
huh.gif Makes sense to me. dizzy.gif Show-off moon.gif I bet Newbie Newt really needs that breakdown! biggrin.gif By the way, Newbie, you've been around here for a while...do ya really need the Newbie moniker any more? smile.gif

Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostTue Oct 28, 2003 3:01 pm 
Thanks for the info and breakdown. My card doesn't have millions to display. Just true color 32 bit, true color 24 bit, high color 16 bit and 256. No problems, was just wondering. I had thought of adding some avitars. Newbie would still be in there tho. I keep everything. Yup, everything. NN

It's pretty safe to say that if we take all of man kinds accumulated knowledge, we still don't know everything. So, I hope you understand why I don't believe you know everything. But then again, maybe you do.
MooseAndSquirrel

MooseAndSquirrel
PostTue Oct 28, 2003 4:11 pm 
Hey Newbie- just given' yah some grief. biggrin.gif If you say your card shows 32 & 24-bit color then you've got million-color display-use either of those two for the best color display.

Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostTue Oct 28, 2003 5:07 pm 
Well, ok then. I guess you're lucky, I won't come out swingin'. I'll leave that to the ladies, er, cats. NN

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostTue Oct 28, 2003 7:10 pm 
Day Hike Mike is one of those BRAIN-EE-ACK kind of guys. Jeeshs, dont we have enough of those here? TB winksmile.gif moon.gif winksmile.gif moon.gif winksmile.gif

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln