Forum Index > Pacific NW History > 10th Mountain Division Fort Lewis
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
reststep

reststep
PostSat Sep 27, 2008 12:09 pm 
It looks like the army is still conducting cold weather and mountain training. Here a couple of links. Link 1 Link 2

"The mountains are calling and I must go." - John Muir
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Bergschlawiner

Bergschlawiner
PostSun Sep 28, 2008 2:50 pm 
Training
This is correct. The Army has or had a mountain training camp out off SR-410 and while on active duty I went on a ski training there. They bussed us to Crystal Mountain and put everyone on the rope tow for three days, seems like there were no experienced skiers, including yours truly. We were issued military arctic skis, they had webbing bindings and were worn with "micky mouse" cold weather boots. The ranger cadre knew I was an experienced mountaineer who had been several times on Rainier and they advised me to wear my leather climbing boots with the skis. The last day everyone had snow shoe training and after a few minutes of them herding a bunch of soldiers all walking side by side and all over the place, the trainer said to me that they hated doing snow shoe training and would I take over. So I just organized the soldiers in a single file and had one break trail for 5 minutes than fall to the rear like we did on Mountaineer trips. They loved it. One of my better days in military training. CW3 Art, Retired

Bergschlawiner
Snowbrushy

Snowbrushy
PostSun Sep 28, 2008 7:28 pm 
Re: Training
Bergschlawiner wrote:
This is correct. The Army has or had a mountain training camp out off SR-410 and while on active duty I went on a ski training there.CW3 Art, Retired
Thankyou for the wonderful info.. Camp Sheppard on SR410 is now a Boy Scout camp where I took "Leadership Training" as a kid. A Scout. Survival training among other things taught by the Army in the late 1960's during the Vietnam War. We were real troopers except for the Newbies who got us into trouble! But, I believe that the Camp was first, and still is, sometimes used for our Troops from Fort Lewis for Winter mountain training. up.gif http://www.seattlebsa.org/sbsa_CampingDepartment/CampingPages/CampSheppard.htm

Oh Pilot of the storm who leaves no trace Like thoughts inside a dream Heed the path that led me to that place Yellow desert stream.
Bergschlawiner

Bergschlawiner
PostSun Sep 28, 2008 9:18 pm 
Huckleberry Creek
Just looked at a Topo map and reminded me that the place was called Huckleberry Creek mountain training camp and on some maps its shown as a US military reservation. The ran both summer and winter training courses as well as recreational ski courses for the troops. Not related to Camp Sheppard which I know from Max Eckenberg and Bill Rengstorf.

Bergschlawiner
Grizzy
Yellow Cedar Hugger

Grizzy
Yellow Cedar Hugger
PostMon Sep 29, 2008 8:44 am 
My father was a ski instructor at the beginning of the 10th (based outside Leadville, CO), he then went with the division to Italy in WW II....

All the birds have flown up and gone; A lonely cloud floats leisurely by. We never tire of looking at each other - Only the mountain and I. ~Li Po~
Snowbrushy

Snowbrushy
PostFri Oct 03, 2008 5:35 pm 
Slowly they leave us. They were pioneers: http://www.latimes.com/news/obituaries/la-me-passings18-2008sep18,0,2005341.story September 18, 2008 William 'Sarge' Brown Former Vail ski resort manager William "Sarge" Brown, 85, who as mountain manager at Vail, Colo., helped develop the resort into one of the world's top ski areas, died Sunday at his home in Grand Junction, Colo., Vail Resorts officials said. Brown introduced cutting-edge snowmaking, grooming and trail-cutting technologies as mountain manager from 1970 to 1989. He installed Vail's first snowmaking equipment, at Golden Peak, in 1970, and pioneered overnight grooming, now an industry standard. Born in Cascade, Idaho, on Oct. 5, 1922, Brown learned to ski as a child and competed on the football and ski teams at the University of Idaho. Brown joined the Army in 1942 and trained at Camp Hale in the Colorado Rockies with the 10th Mountain Division before fighting in Italy during World War II. He also served in the Korean War before leaving the Army in 1966. Brown returned to Colorado, where other 10th Mountain Division veterans had started Vail, and got a job on the resort's trail crew. He was inducted into the U.S. National Ski Hall of Fame in 1990, a year after he retired from Vail.

Oh Pilot of the storm who leaves no trace Like thoughts inside a dream Heed the path that led me to that place Yellow desert stream.
Snowbrushy

Snowbrushy
PostFri Nov 07, 2008 10:06 pm 
News from Montana: http://www.greatfallstribune.com/article/20081107/NEWS01/81107010/1002

3fngrs

3fngrs
PostSat Nov 08, 2008 9:25 pm 
McPilchuck, Care to chime in?? Saw some o' your handiwork at BT Lakes recently, gotta say thats a beautious place!!

Snowbrushy

Snowbrushy
PostMon Mar 01, 2010 5:50 pm 
Hundsolo posted this in another thread ~ Thanks Hunds.. http://www.theolympian.com/2010/02/28/1155152/a-trail-of-remembrance.html

Mjollnir

Mjollnir
PostFri Mar 05, 2010 10:44 am 
Well, I see this is an old thread, however I would like to reiterate that the 10th Mountain Division is in no way a "mountain" division. They have not specialized in mountain warfare since the end of WWII. They are a light infantry division. Just like the 101st Airborne Division is no longer an Airborne division. They were Airborne in WWII, and Vietnam. Now, they are an air assault division. Both units retain their "mountain" and "airborne" names for history reasons only.

dragons

dragons
PostSat Jan 01, 2011 1:10 pm 
My dad was in the army in 1964 and had ski training "near Tacoma." He lives in Michigan and had not been to the Cascades before and does not know the geography. He thinks it was at White Pass, but is not sure. He describes it the same way as earlier post - skis strapped onto mickey mouse boots. This spring, my dad and I would like to visit and possibly ski at the place he trained. Any thoughts on where the army ski training took place in 1964? Thanks!

mepokeu

mepokeu
PostSat Jan 01, 2011 1:25 pm 
some of your guys posts made me laugh. Ive been on active duty for the past 10 years. I dont know anyone who actively seeks out being stationed at Fort Drum

Bergschlawiner

Bergschlawiner
PostTue Apr 05, 2011 10:16 pm 
The Army had its mountain training camp at Huckleberry Creek and bussed the soldiers to Crystal Mountain for any ski training.

Bergschlawiner
Bergschlawiner

Bergschlawiner
PostTue Apr 05, 2011 10:27 pm 
Three veterans of the 10th Mountain Division and the Army's Mountain and Cold Weather Training Command at Camp Hale, Colorado, were with a joint color guard with some Legionairres from Snoqualmie and posted the colors with the flag of the 10th Mountain Division at the Summit at Snoqualmie's March 19th Military Appreciation Weekend.
Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Bergschlawiner
Mouse Seeker

Mouse Seeker
PostMon May 04, 2015 9:43 pm 
cool.gif I am a woman who is seeking to find information out of the 10th & Leadville about a man who was called MOUSE. He may have been called DUSTY or DUTCH. Dark complexion - some would call it a ruddy tan. DARK Brown Eyes and sent there from Camp Siebert in Alabama - were he was being trained in chemical warfare and/or detonations. He was a trouble maker at Camp Siebert & got in trouble taking a Commanders vehicle for a spin around the Base. His military family intervened & he was sent to Camp Hale. He knew knots & ropes & had skii training. He was known to STAY in the area & do private / contracted work upon his dismissal from the Army. He had a relationship with some of the guys who built Ski Resorts in Vail & Aspen. His relationship with these guy went beyond his dismissal from the ARMY as per family records. Yrs in area 1943 to 1945 & then returned to the area in 1962. Called D. L. Weber but his nickname was Dusty and Dutch. I likeable young man who could sing like a star and he often spoke of a bar in Leadville and said he could never go back there... Any one who can help I would apprectiate it.