Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostSat Oct 25, 2003 9:12 am 
Hey Tom. Any chance of getting a Photo/Camera Forum? Just a thought. NN

It's pretty safe to say that if we take all of man kinds accumulated knowledge, we still don't know everything. So, I hope you understand why I don't believe you know everything. But then again, maybe you do.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
MCaver
Founder

MCaver
Founder
PostSat Oct 25, 2003 9:19 am 
I've actually considered putting up a sister site to this one for photography -- NWPhoto.net. I've held off so far due to a few reasons. The main one is that I don't know that I have the time or PHP knowledge to do it right. I can learn PHP easily enough, but I can't find time to get my own photos online, so when will I run a forum? dizzy.gif Another is that I don't know if I can get the critical mass of users needed to make the site useful. I know people from various other photo sites, but I don't know if they'd be willing to switch over to or spend time at a new site if I put it up. This site was fortunate in that there really weren't that many other popular sites. We filled a niche. Plus, if I put up a photo site it will take bandwidth away from this site and make use require donations sooner. tongue.gif Maybe some day. A photo forum here would be cool, although the trip reports section kinda serves that function.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostSat Oct 25, 2003 10:03 am 
One of the things I've resisted doing with nwhikers.net is creating too many sub forums. I really hate forum sites that have 20+ fourms - it's a real pain to navigate and keep up with stuff (unless you have a feature to view all forums at once like we do). That said I think there is room for a photography forum. When I have some time I'll create one and move all photography related topics there.

Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostSat Oct 25, 2003 10:34 am 
I just thought with all the photo related questions and feeback that goes on, at least at times, it may be useful. Too bad that so much of it is off topic or thread drift. Thanks for the consideration. up.gif up.gif NN

It's pretty safe to say that if we take all of man kinds accumulated knowledge, we still don't know everything. So, I hope you understand why I don't believe you know everything. But then again, maybe you do.
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostSat Nov 01, 2003 3:00 pm 
I've created a "Photography Talk" forum and moved the photography related topics there. I think I got them all but if you see any photography related topics lingering in the gear forum (or elsewhere) let me know and I will move them. BTW, to navigate to the new photography forum click on the split link up the top to the right of "Gear".

Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostSat Nov 01, 2003 3:34 pm 
Thanks Tom. Nice Job. A tip of the hat to you. up.gif NN