Forum Index > Trip Reports > Dungeness Spit
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Duncan

Duncan
PostSun Nov 02, 2003 7:18 pm 
I finally decided to go out to "The Spit" yesterday. It's a hike I've always wanted to take and had never gotten around to. A friend who was going to go with me baled at the last minute, so it was a solo trip. It was cold and there was little or no wind. I was amazed that there was no one else around, I had the place to myself until later in the day. The distance is five miles out to the lighthouse at the end of the spit, but that distance is deceptive because you see your goal the whole way out and it never seems to get closer. I saw lots of sea lions and eagles, but never close enough for any good pictures. On my way back out I saw one of the most unusual confrontations I'd ever seen, two guys in each others face arguing over the identfication of a particular kind of bird. Each guy had about three or four people behind them like they were gonna have some sort of a brawl or something on the beach. I guess the "bird people" really take some of this stuff pretty seriously. Oh well, it was a fun day and I would recomend it to anyone for an off season hike.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostSun Nov 02, 2003 7:33 pm 
Did you get to tour the lighthouse? That was the best part of the hike for me-it's a cool musuem!

https://trailcooking.com/ Eat well on the trail.
Duncan

Duncan
PostSun Nov 02, 2003 7:37 pm 
Sarbar, I did get the tour. It was very cool, especially the room with all of the stuff that's "washed" up.

christy_E

christy_E
PostSun Nov 02, 2003 10:25 pm 
I took my girls out there a few years back. And played a little prank on them. They always ask the history of the Name of a place we are at. Soooo... I told them.. it was called a spit.. because every other footstep you take you have to "spit". Well.. they did !!! It was the most quiet and pleasant drive home. Poor kids were dried up. As soon as they got home they did a google and educated me. <heh>

Ink, it costs a lot to look this cheap.