Forum Index > Food & Grub > Homemade lightweight food
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
marzsit
Dork

marzsit
Dork
PostTue Apr 29, 2003 4:47 am 
ziploc freezer bags will hold up to boiling water, but will not hold up to being boiled in water... if you're going to use them to rehydrate a meal with boiling water, they will work provided you provide support to the hot bag.... if you plan on boiling a meal in them, forget it. use seal-a-meal bags instead..

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostTue Apr 29, 2003 8:41 am 
Yep, that's the truth! I eat almost all of my meals while BP out of freezer Ziploc bags, it does save a lot of weight and space in your bear canister-I just roll the bags tight when done and I use a gallon ziploc bag to keep all the garbage in. It does cut down on odor too. The seal bags are neat as you can boil in them, I have used those too, but for me, they are too heavy (lets not ask about my dietary standards on the trail-I lived on stove top stuffing last summer biggrin.gif )

https://trailcooking.com/ Eat well on the trail.
marzsit
Dork

marzsit
Dork
PostThu May 01, 2003 4:29 am 
nothing wrong with stove top, as long as it's spruced-up with some "extras".... i like some dehydrated mixed veggies and a small can of chicken or turkey in mine.. when i'm hiking i crave potatoes for some reason... united grocers sells dehydrated idahoan diced potatoes in a 2.5lb bag for less than $5, for me it's an entire summer's supply. they are dehydrated raw, so you: 1- soak them in water for an hour, drain, then use as raw potato or: 2- add to boiling water and simmer for 10 minutes ( or add to boiling water/broth/etc, stuff the pot into a cozy and let it sit for 20 minutes or so) add your favorite seasonings and enjoy smile.gif they make great hashbrowns when you have the time/fuel/motivation smile.gif

pianodirt

pianodirt
PostMon Nov 03, 2003 1:38 am 
catching up on yet another older thread... Ahh, the cook-in-bag method, my favorite! I have found the *perfect* back for this. It's the Glad "Stand and Zip" bags, made out of the tougher material plastic, much like the platypus bags. Unfortunately, Glad no longer makes them. I have probably 30 or so of the bags. I've reused several of them several times now and they're starting to wear. The next best things I've seen are the vacuum seal bags. Make a food bag cozy out of Reflectix, the mylarized bubble wrap found at hardware stores. Make an envelope with a V pocket to hold the food bag in the middle so the bag can stand up right. Maybe Cascade Designs will take up where Glad left off. I wrote them them (Glad) with an emotional petition but they just said sorry. Another idea is some friends ate some mountain house freeze dried meals and they now have a better system for rehydrating food in those things. Instead of a silly inner bag with that annoying cardboard bag "clamp", there is just the external bag, which is ziplock and you simply pour your hot water into that bag. Those could be reused for your own meals. Maybe you could write to Mtn House and see if you could buy some of those bags empty from them. When I get around to it, I'll post some pics of my food bag cozy method.