Forum Index > Trip Reports > Independence Lake, Pass Lake, Coal Lake
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostTue Nov 04, 2003 10:27 pm 
I got to the trailhead on the Coal Lake road off the Mountain Loop highway at 1 pm. It was cold. The hike in to Independence Lake gains 430 ft and loses 330. I made it in 1/2 an hour since it is only 3/4 mile. There was some snow around here and there, which Daisy loved. I played fetch the stick with her for an hour until my arm was numb from throwing and the rest of me was numb from the cold, and then we bailed. It takes the same time to get back as to get in. The forest is very nice, with plenty of really big trees. The trailhead area is great, with mega views of mountains and down the valley of the Stilly. We went up to Pass Lake, which is 1/2 mile and 200 VF, and well worth it. Nice little pond, a small meadow, more views. Next we drove back to the Coal Lake "trailhead". The trail is 100 ft long with 10 ft elevation gain. It is a scenic lake, nestled between two ridges, with good views in several directions. Then we parked at a good viewpoint along the road and watched the sunset for 2 hours while listening to the Best of Sam and Dave and other things. There was nobody else at any of the trailheads this afternoon. I saw no need of trail maintainance on the Independence trail, and the road was fine with a couple of recent repairs visible. Good, crisp day for a little jaunt.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message