Forum Index > Pacific NW History > Captain Ben Ingalls Gold - Fact or Fiction?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
snowman_312
old man of the mount

snowman_312
old man of the mount
PostSun Oct 19, 2008 7:33 pm 
also most of the gold was placer in the Liberty area, but in the Blewett area there was a fair amount of wire gold, research the mineing history and look at the claims and then look at the tunnels and the amount of gold taken out of each claim, all available in the State Library I believe, but I saw it in my local library once. I am now into researching the winter of that year, finding out, did it snow or not. I have seen winters in that area( 1 or 2) there was almost no snow, I believe 1978 or 79 may have been one of them. Some ski areas did not open to after the 1st of the year,,,,,,,,,, lack of snow and what happens if the "ponds" were not at that high of an elevation? maybe 1,000 or 2 lower than the Ingals Lake we know of now? look where the granite meets the next rock maybe and then look into the gold dust lost in Peshastin Creek when the canoe over turned carrying a couple of miners home lots of lost items it seems now also look for the buried cannon in the Meadow Creek area by Lake Wenatchee wink.gif have fun you all

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Snowbrushy

Snowbrushy
PostMon Oct 20, 2008 5:06 pm 
snowman_312 wrote:
now also look for the buried cannon in the Meadow Creek area by Lake Wenatchee ;)have fun you all
Please be careful looking for that damn cannon. The area will be posted as a federally restricted research area. (the cannon has probably been long removed and sent back-east).

Oh Pilot of the storm who leaves no trace Like thoughts inside a dream Heed the path that led me to that place Yellow desert stream.
touron

touron
PostMon Oct 20, 2008 5:55 pm 
125 years ago, weren't many of the alpine lakes frozen/snowed over still? If so, this might lend itself to the lake being at a lower elevation.

Touron is a nougat of Arabic origin made with almonds and honey or sugar, without which it would just not be Christmas in Spain.
Snowbrushy

Snowbrushy
PostMon Oct 20, 2008 7:46 pm 
It's probably the effects of the Wenatchee Ice age of 1853 in which a lake named Fish Lake (next to lake wenatchee) dropped 2000 ft. off the Crest in a single freeze. ...Which explains the reason why there are sooo many Fish Lakes meant to confuse us - it's a anti-global warming conspiracy, I tell Ya. clown.gif

Oh Pilot of the storm who leaves no trace Like thoughts inside a dream Heed the path that led me to that place Yellow desert stream.
AR

AR
PostThu Oct 30, 2008 1:32 pm 
Cat Butt wrote:
Bikejr found loads of gold all over the hills around Ingalls Lake last weekend, and he's got the route all mapped out! https://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7971138
You torment me cat butt.

...wait...are we just going to hang here or go hiking?
Jeepasaurusrex

Jeepasaurusrex
PostThu Oct 30, 2008 9:53 pm 
I camped on Peshastin creek this past summer. Did some impromptu gold panning and came up with some good size gold dust. I'm sure if I worked it, I could come away with some good gold. biggrin.gif

"I would like to see things from your point of view, but I cannot get my head that far up my butt"
AR

AR
PostThu Oct 30, 2008 9:55 pm 
Jeepasaurusrex wrote:
I camped on Peshastin creek this past summer. Did some impromptu gold panning and came up with some good size gold dust. I'm sure if I worked it, I could come away with some good gold. biggrin.gif
up.gif

snowman_312
old man of the mount

snowman_312
old man of the mount
PostMon Nov 03, 2008 5:00 pm 
I have known several people over the years make wages panning the Peshastin Creek area, but they all found out that panning is harder than having a real job LOL wink.gif Some have also panned the Wenatchee River in certain areas and did OK only Known no one who has panned the icicle valley though, someone must have, but have heard nothing

AR

AR
PostFri Nov 07, 2008 11:12 am 
Cat Butt wrote:
arohwed wrote:
Cat Butt wrote:
Bikejr found loads of gold all over the hills around Ingalls Lake last weekend, and he's got the route all mapped out! https://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7971138
You torment me cat butt.
That was low of me. I apologize. If I hear about real gold around there I will (probably) post pictures of it after plundering.
up.gif wink.gif

HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostSat Nov 08, 2008 10:36 am 
Malachai Constant wrote:
My guess is that there is no gold inthe enchantment area as it is part of the Stuart batholith which is pretty solid granite and mineralization is usually in contact zones. If you really found a huge amount of gold, would you tell anyone the right location. My guess is the gold came from Liberty Squak area or maybe Republic. Too many folks have been going to the chants for to long for there to be gold around.
On of the richest gold mining areas in the US (Grass Valley, CA) is in a granite batholith. Also, I have heard local folk lore folks say the slide up at Eight-Mile Lake is the one they are talking about.

Bazetech

Bazetech
PostTue Feb 10, 2009 4:43 pm 
Just stumbled on to this site after stumbling onto the whole Ingalls thing. Pretty inspiring stories, I was just curious about the cannon buried near Lake Wenatchee. Whats the story behind that? Thanks

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." ~Mark Twain
snowman_312
old man of the mount

snowman_312
old man of the mount
PostWed Feb 11, 2009 4:18 pm 
The Army were chassing a few "Indian"(native American) renegades and followed them up to the Lk Wenatchee area where other natives were picking berries. So goes the story, most of the Indians were shot by the army and when the army left the area they buried their cannon instead of trying to get it out. I think the commanders were Crook and McCall There is so much more to the story than I put down here that is for sure.

Z
Erratic

Z
Erratic
PostWed Jun 09, 2010 1:02 am 
Must have missed this thread when new, but now linked from a current one on Washington treasure. I've heard this story all my life and believed it as a kid. After learning more history, however, I learned that a common trick by the government/railroads to get settlers to move into the Native's territory all over the country was to create gold rushes. Soon there would be more prospectors than pieces of gold dust. The Natives, being outnumbered, would be driven out. Many stories of lost gold, including some mentioned above, originated from the military. Coincidence? I've got a copy of "The Night the Mountain Fell" from back when it first came out. I'll have to look for it. Thanks for the memories MC! Another Wenatchee area story I remember was about some soldiers out around the Ancient Lake (yes, lake singular) area who where transporting gold and were attacked by Natives. They buried the gold and some escaped. Upon returning, they were unable to find it (sound familiar?). I ran into an old guy, many years ago, who had been out there searching for it. He claimed to have found some old military items buried in some rocks in a canyon below Babcock Bench, but still hadn't found the gold. Probably died trying. P.S. I meant to point out that the Ingalls story arose between the 1850's, when the Wenatchi tribe was granted their reservation (including present day Leavenworth to Cashmere) and the 1890's, when the railroad finally stole it.

"Einstein stating that nothing can travel faster than the speed of light, is as a blind man stating that nothing can travel faster than the speed of sound" 1979 They don't make years like they used to.
DarbyGloss

DarbyGloss
PostThu Aug 29, 2013 2:53 am 
Anyone into gold hunting here? I heard there is a gold rush in Columbia, is that real?

Mine Explorer

Mine Explorer
PostMon May 05, 2014 12:40 pm 
Going up for a ride, probably tomorrow Tuesday - to Liberty to explore the mines via licensed Dual Sport motorcycle: Going up to Liberty - this Tuesday - to explore some mining sites. Ride will consist of several stops for exploration of relics and mining sites and brief forays underground. Who would like to go up to explore for about a 4-5 hour trip? Weather looks good, I know the area fairly well, should be fun. Some knobs for traction required. Was up this past Thursday, is virtually like early June up there. It is desolate up there on a weekday and not a place to be by yerself. 2 others are going Craig ie MineExplorer