Forum Index > Trip Reports > NEW - Annual Mailbox Halloween Hike - Party Pics Added!
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Sadie's Driver
Sadie's Driver

Sadie's Driver
Sadie's Driver
PostFri Oct 31, 2008 3:24 pm 
Ahh yes, another trip up Mailbox just to say "I can still do that!" What was to be a "chick hike" on a lovely Fall morning, turned into Fall reality in the Northwest! Raining pretty steadily all the way from Seattle to the trail head. No idea who would show up for this little adventure! shakehead.gif paranoid.gif But, some wonderful, faithful friends did arrive to accompany Gus and me on this annual rite of passage. Zachster (aka Nancy - this would be our very first hike together and hopefully not the last, after the crummy weather I chose!) and Snow Dog (aka Elle - who joined this little folly last year, too) were tough enough to withstand the elements! Off we headed a little after 9:00 a.m. There was only one other hardy soul out - but he wasn't headed to Mailbox - we had the place to ourselves.
Faithful friends heading to Mailbox - one has to ask why?
Faithful friends heading to Mailbox - one has to ask why?
Mailbox trailhead?  When did that happen?
Mailbox trailhead? When did that happen?
The trail has changed a bit - even from last year - and certainly from my first trek 15 years ago! Some trail improvements - but it's still the "fun" little romp I know and love! But today, it was pretty miserable right from the start with the lousy weather.
Just another glorious Fall hike
Just another glorious Fall hike
Our pace was pretty swift - but slowed some due to the nasty conditions! Elle and I were determined to hit the summit (a little bird told me that there was something waiting for me in the mailbox!) - so Nancy suggested we blaze on ahead which we did - because we didn't want to be out in this crappy weather any longer than we needed to be!
Elle and Gus on the final slog to the top of Mailbox
Elle and Gus on the final slog to the top of Mailbox
Before long, we were on the summit and didn't plan to lollygag around!,
Birthday celebration on the top of Mailbox 10-31-08
Birthday celebration on the top of Mailbox 10-31-08
but wait, what's this?
What's this?  A birthday present for the driver?
What's this? A birthday present for the driver?
Seems Opus left the Driver a little birthday treat! We'd save that little bonus for a better trip! After opening the surprise, Elle and I beat feet down the slope and soon ran into Nancy at the boulder field. We wasted no time getting back to the car
True NW HIkers!
True NW HIkers!
and into some dry clothes. What fabulous friends agree.gif to agree to this little fun hike! However, we all agreed that next year, a Halloween hike might be better served in, oh, maybe Hawaii, or the Southwest or somewhere warm and dry!!! lol.gif winksmile.gif And now, on to the main event! hmmm.gif wink.gif
Happy Halloween!  Thanks Opus!
Happy Halloween! Thanks Opus!
This just in!!! The party continued (albeit in much drier conditions!) into the wee hours . . . Woo-hoo!!! up.gif up.gif up.gif
Mom and Dad at the bash
Mom and Dad at the bash
Belle of the Ball
Belle of the Ball
Candy hog
Candy hog
Cleo and Darth
Cleo and Darth
The driver's little beauties
The driver's little beauties
Joe the Plumber and Crazy Lady
Joe the Plumber and Crazy Lady
Crazy McCain-Palin chick
Crazy McCain-Palin chick
Hot Stuff - Big Daddy Gangsta
Hot Stuff - Big Daddy Gangsta
Babe treats!
Babe treats!
Dicey dishes up her favorite casserole!
Dicey dishes up her favorite casserole!
Weird
Weird
Martini Lady
Martini Lady
Beekman  visits
Beekman visits
The Gangsta's
The Gangsta's
Real babes!
Real babes!
Classic Pumpkin
Classic Pumpkin
Lancelot and the Martini Lady
Lancelot and the Martini Lady
Ghouls
Ghouls
Love those Vikings
Love those Vikings
Buff party goers
Buff party goers
NW Hikers - enough to scare anyone!
NW Hikers - enough to scare anyone!
Madonna, Peter Pan and Tinkerbell
Madonna, Peter Pan and Tinkerbell
Celebrities Madonna & A-Rod stop by
Celebrities Madonna & A-Rod stop by
What a fine group! winksmile.gif s.d.

Four-paw buddy lets me tag along!
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
bobbi
stillaGUAMish

bobbi
stillaGUAMish
PostFri Oct 31, 2008 4:00 pm 
happy birthday, sadie's driver! what troopers you gals were to make the summit despite the weather! i must start a birthday hike but alas, it's always a work day. you are the last of the great october birthday celebrants!!

bobbi ૐ "Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting. So…get on your way!" - Oh, the Places You’ll Go! By Dr. Seuss
the Zachster

the Zachster
PostFri Oct 31, 2008 4:09 pm 
Wow...you got this trip report up before I even got out of the shower! embarassedlaugh.gif You were a braver woman than I, to even take your camera out on a day like today! Thanks for a great hike...I look forward to joining you and Gus (what a sweetie!) and SnowDog again soon! Happy Special Birthday to you!! birthday.gif blowout.gif

"May I always be the kind of person my dog thinks I am"
Jasper
Cascade Snow Pig

Jasper
Cascade Snow Pig
PostFri Oct 31, 2008 4:14 pm 
My mom and I showed up to the trailhead late. Thanks for the wrong directions dad shakehead.gif We made it quite a ways up there, but turned around because we were getting soaked and we had been up before anyway. Sorry to have missed another Gus encounter, but I'm sure I'll harass you on a snowshoe trip soon. hockeygrin.gif

Dani
Kimtah's Mom

Dani
Kimtah's Mom
PostFri Oct 31, 2008 4:31 pm 
All Hallows eve
aha! I was trying to catch up to you! You were just too swift for me! I think we were only a few minutes behind though. We arrived at the trailhead about 9:15. Did you hear me yelling up at you in the woods? biggrin.gif I decided to turn around when I went to pet Jasper and a river came off my back! We will meet again sometime. I would still like to meet Gusto!

Keeping GeoTom in line since 1998
Yet

Yet
PostFri Oct 31, 2008 5:18 pm 
Bravo for a wet birthday hike! up.gif Your day sounds more fun than exams and dentist appointments. embarassedlaugh.gif

Tazz

Tazz
PostFri Oct 31, 2008 5:44 pm 
sorry i missed out on this. Had to do that thing they call work... rolleyes.gif glad you got out on your b-day. Happy birthday!

Opus
Wannabe

Opus
Wannabe
PostFri Oct 31, 2008 5:49 pm 
Previously on Mailbox Peak ... (cue theme music and flashback sequence...) A few times over the last year or two the Driver had left fun little treasure hunts for me on various peaks (Townsend, Desolation) yet I've managed not to earn my treasure hunter merit badge! Well now I got to return the favor, on a birthday to boot! I hit the trail around 7:45 am under cloudy cold skies saturday morning. Only one other car was ahead of me. I plugged along, traveling light with the precious birthday cargo, and made the top in I believe my best time yet of just under 2 hours. Views weren't great but the clouds were very dramatic blowing in and out. I left the gift and instructions for other hikers, then headed down hoping it would survive the many visitors before the party arrived. Glad to see it was still there! Another personal best for me too - I only fell down once descending! Of course it happened just as I encountered the first ascending hiker behind me. doh.gif Happy birthday! gift.gif
The mailbox
The mailbox
Super secret birthday delivery
Super secret birthday delivery
Shiny mailbox
Shiny mailbox
Here comes the sun
Here comes the sun
Clearing skies
Clearing skies
Clouds
Clouds
Blue skies
Blue skies

Yet

Yet
PostFri Oct 31, 2008 7:06 pm 
Awww .... that's so sweet of you Opus to haul a nice birthday present up Mailbox Peak. But did you know that there is a post office in just about every city now?

Opus
Wannabe

Opus
Wannabe
PostFri Oct 31, 2008 7:17 pm 
Yet wrote:
But did you know that there is a post office in just about every city now?
Too true but apparently their motto doesn't include Mailbox peak. huh.gif Maybe we should switch it to FedEx peak or UPS peak or something. "Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed rounds"

Jennifer S.

Jennifer S.
PostFri Oct 31, 2008 8:13 pm 
Looks like a fun b-day chick hike! Even in the rain. And, your dog looks so happy in the photos! Happy, happy Birthday.

Sadie's Driver
Sadie's Driver

Sadie's Driver
Sadie's Driver
PostSat Nov 01, 2008 1:06 pm 
Re: All Hallows eve
Dani wrote:
aha! I was trying to catch up to you! You were just too swift for me! I think we were only a few minutes behind though. We arrived at the trailhead about 9:15. Did you hear me yelling up at you in the woods? biggrin.gif I decided to turn around when I went to pet Jasper and a river came off my back! We will meet again sometime. I would still like to meet Gusto!
Dani - sorry we missed connections, but you definitely made the better decision! I appreciate the effot - Elle thought she heard someone on the trail, but we figured no one in their "right mind" would be out on a day like that! It was AWFUL (in terms of weather) - but Gus loved it! Next year we'll try again (in Hawaii!) embarassedlaugh.gif
Opus wrote:
A few times over the last year or two the Driver had left fun little treasure hunts for me on various peaks (Townsend, Desolation) yet I've managed not to earn my treasure hunter merit badge! Well now I got to return the favor, on a birthday to boot!
Thank god you didn't hide it! I would never have found it. shakehead.gif It was soooo miserable up there. Didn't look anything like your summit day! lol.gif
The Opus Mailbox
The Opus Mailbox
Driver's summit day:
What's this?  A birthday present for the driver?
What's this? A birthday present for the driver?
Thanks for doing that! Very nice. agree.gif winksmile.gif s.d.

Four-paw buddy lets me tag along!
ActionBetty
Im a dirty hippie!

ActionBetty
Im a dirty hippie!
PostSat Nov 01, 2008 1:10 pm 
Happy B-day Sadies Driver party.gif balloons.gif blowout.gif peace.gif

"If you're not living good, you gotta travel wide"...Bob Marley
touron

touron
PostSat Nov 01, 2008 1:13 pm 
Opus wrote:
Yet wrote:
But did you know that there is a post office in just about every city now?
Too true but apparently their motto doesn't include Mailbox peak. huh.gif Maybe we should switch it to FedEx peak or UPS peak or something. "Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed rounds"
The nice thing about Mailbox Peak is that it is the only mailbox where stamps are not required. up.gif up.gif

Touron is a nougat of Arabic origin made with almonds and honey or sugar, without which it would just not be Christmas in Spain.
gone

gone
PostSat Nov 01, 2008 9:24 pm 
Well dang, this is just about the nicest thing I've read in weeks. Friends up Mailbox are friends indeed. smile.gif Happy Birthday!