Forum Index > Trip Reports > 2008: A Persis-Index Odyssey. “My God, It’s full of tarns!”
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
gone

gone
PostSat Nov 01, 2008 9:14 pm 
Great report, wonderful read - thanks for sharing it and all the great pics! up.gif

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Bryan K
Shameless Peakbagger

Bryan K
Shameless Peakbagger
PostSat Nov 01, 2008 9:22 pm 
Awesome pictures!!!!! That water looked very cold though.

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostSat Nov 01, 2008 9:52 pm 
Jeezus, Matt.

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
Jim Dockery

Jim Dockery
PostSun Nov 02, 2008 9:58 am 
Thanks for sharing Matt, this is why I read NWhikers. smile.gif

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostSun Nov 02, 2008 3:39 pm 
Re: 2008, A Persis-Index Odyssey: “My God, It’s full of tarns!”
Matt wrote:
[i]All of which raises a difficult question: Should this be one of the secret places, left unreported so that it won’t be despoiled by over-use?
yes.
Quote:
Personally, I believe special places are best honored when they are respectfully visited and enjoyed, not left hidden and empty. I don't want over-use, but I think beautiful places can be preserved by a combination of difficult access and an encouragement to self-discipline, which promotes respect for the place.
difficult access prevents no overuse, IMO. there are more than enough people willing, and indeed seeking tough places, to overuse anything in this state. Particularly one so close to the metropolis. The 'chants is not the hardest spot by far, but they're no picnic...and the difficulty there presented no barrier to overuse.
Quote:
[*]I won’t put specific route info to Persindex basin in the trip report. If you want to know more, pm me, and we’ll discuss it.
It won't matter. The pics provide the payoff, and that will be enough, route info or no. They are wonderful pics, to be sure. No question.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Randy
Cube Rat

Randy
Cube Rat
PostSun Nov 02, 2008 3:51 pm 
Great read Matt. You continue to provide the best all-around reports on NWHikers! up.gif

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostSun Nov 02, 2008 4:09 pm 
ditto.gif ditto.gif The Goat quite a few of us have known about this for quite a while TNAB calls it the Sweet Spot. frown.gif

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostSun Nov 02, 2008 4:41 pm 
HEY!!!!!!!!!!!! huh.gif No summit tea photo. huh.gif huh.gif

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
bobbi
stillaGUAMish

bobbi
stillaGUAMish
PostSun Nov 02, 2008 6:00 pm 
fantabulous TR and photos! your tarn dipping photos remind me of my polar bear dips on new year's day minus the ice! eek.gif thanks for sharing your trip. up.gif

bobbi ૐ "Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting. So…get on your way!" - Oh, the Places You’ll Go! By Dr. Seuss
Gil

Gil
PostSun Nov 02, 2008 9:38 pm 
Matt wrote:
West Wall of Index veiled in clouds
West Wall of Index veiled in clouds
That's a great image. Great TR!

Friends help the miles go easier. Klahini
Matt
Tea, Earl Grey, Hot

Matt
Tea, Earl Grey, Hot
PostMon Nov 03, 2008 1:49 am 
That image, also noted by Jeff R, pretty much just created itself. Those two guys happened to stand there while we were sitting at the summit. I think Carla has an almost identical photo. Alas, the real situation wasn’t as inspirational as the image. We met those guys previously when they were using their GPS trying to figure out the route, while standing in the middle of the road. However, our first encounter with them was even earlier. I’ll leave it to Yana to tell the story, since it was her car that had to survive their ill-considered parking.

“As beacons mountains burned at evening.” J.R.R. Tolkien
Matt
Tea, Earl Grey, Hot

Matt
Tea, Earl Grey, Hot
PostMon Nov 03, 2008 1:55 am 
BTW, for those who are too young to have seen the movie, I’ll explain the trip report title. But this is making me feel old. 2001 was far in the future when I first saw the movie, not seven years in the past. It’s from “2001: A Space Odyssey.” An astronaut journeys to what was expected to be a featureless monolith, and then discovers something unexpected and wonderful. His last words were, “My God, it’s full of stars!” Great music also. If I had any talent with video, I’d make it background music for a slideshow of the tarns.

“As beacons mountains burned at evening.” J.R.R. Tolkien
Stefan

Stefan
PostMon Nov 03, 2008 10:50 am 
Matt. You are crazy for swimming in that water. Pure crazy.

Art is an adventure.
GeoTom

GeoTom
PostMon Nov 03, 2008 11:00 am 
Matt wrote:
BTW, for those who are too young to have seen the movie, I’ll explain the trip report title. But this is making me feel old. 2001 was far in the future when I first saw the movie, not seven years in the past.
Matt, the movie is available on VHS and DVD now. Who was Hal on this trip, dicey or Yana?

Knows literally nothing
Yana
Hater

Yana
Hater
PostMon Nov 03, 2008 12:33 pm 
GeoTom - DUH! dicey, of course!
Matt wrote:
I’ll leave it to Yana to tell the story, since it was her car that had to survive their ill-considered parking.
lol.gif About 0.5 miles (or maybe a little longer) from the trailhead, we encountered a parked vehicle IN THE MIDDLE of the road. It was rather inconveniently parked, as there was no pullout. It was also a great mystery, as there was absolutely nothing about the spot that might require parking there - the road was not overly rough, it wasn't an intersection, and there was no trail or point of interest right there! And, of course, the owners were nowhere in sight! Worst of all, the remaining scrap of road next to the car contained a huge, car-bottom eating rock right in the middle! mad.gif rant.gif I made dicey and Matt get out, partially so they could help me squeeze by without running into the ditch or the parked car, and partially to give my car as much clearance as possible for the Rock of Doom! My trusty Geo Prizm prevailed once more as I hesitantly squeezed by. I congratulated myself on being very tactful when we ran into those guys up the road by using absolutely no curse words as I suggested that perhaps a better parking space was in order. The moral of the story - if you're looking for a trailhead, please actually continue DRIVING your vehicle in that general direction instead of leaving it in the middle of the road! shakehead.gif lol.gif

PLAY SAFE! SKI ONLY IN CLOCKWISE DIRECTION! LET'S ALL HAVE FUN TOGETHER!