Forum Index > Trail Talk > "run"Mt Si stats?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
run4cache

run4cache
PostMon Nov 03, 2008 12:22 pm 
I have emailed Uli and will clarify what truly is the best time...I hope to hear back from him right away.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
run4cache

run4cache
PostMon Nov 03, 2008 3:37 pm 
OK -- Here is some more verifiable/accurate information: Summit Post.org mentions Uli running it in 38 minutes. This is likely the best time: http://www.summitpost.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=509036 Gregg Crowther has run it in 40:11: May 28th: Ran up Mount Si (from the water spout near the parking area up to the rocky clearing at about the 4-mile mark -- NOT all the way to the stone bench or Haystack) and back down. My ascent time was 41:24, much slower than last year's best of 40:11; the descent of 28:15 was a huge improvement over my previous best of 30:54 but trashed my quads just as thoroughly as always. So it was kind of a bad news / good news / bad news workout. – Greg Crowther – U.S. 50 Mile Champion Here is Uli’s training time for a “double Mt. Si”: Double Mt Si: 53:10 up 36:18 down 44:26 up 33:00 down hard on second climb, http://home.myuw.net/usteidl/uli_training_2005.xls

tigermn

tigermn
PostMon Nov 03, 2008 3:59 pm 
Well if 38 minutes is the best time up then my best in a moment of feeling strong is only 53 minutes off of that.. No running though. I figure I can't really be a trail runner until I can actually travel faster uphill than I can just walk lol.gif I guess I could jog downhill but then that can play funny on the joints. Where I to go up today would probably be closer to 2 hours...or maybe more.... Gotta watch the getting fat/lazy in fall syndrome.

usteidl

usteidl
PostMon Nov 03, 2008 5:19 pm 
Mt Si fastest times
Ok, a few corrections here: It was William Emerson who ran the "Mt Si 50k" in 3 hours, 27 minutes. This race is NEAR Mt Si, not up the mountain. I never ran that race. NOBODY will ever be able to run up Mt Si in 27 minutes, at least no human. Well - may be if the top 1000ft get blown off Mt St Helens style. Which is unlikely given Mt Si's geology. I organized an unofficial "race" up Mt Si for 4 years (2000 - 2003). Start was the water fountain at the trail head, finish was to actually touch the haystack, so may be 10 - 15 seconds longer than the "bench". Links from my website to results don't work any more after my website was transferred from "student" to "alumni" status by the UW. I'll fix em when I have time. My fastest time was 40:00 min in 2001. Jessica Scalzo (Mt Si HS grad, ASU XC runner at the time) has the fastest women's time during the 4 years I organized the run: 48:58min. However, I was told that the fastest women's time is in the 47s, and I think the finish was at the bench for her. My fastest downhill time was about 25 min, though William Emerson might have a faster time. Other "records" of interest: Several ultrarunners do "multiple Si" runs. Scott Jurek used to do his "triple Si". Around 50 min for each ascent. I recently talked to Adam Lint, an ultrarunner new to the area. He did a "5x Mt Si" in a single day. He said he talked to a couple of hikers who started at the same time as he did (his first ascent). Those hikers returned to the parking lot just as he started his 5th run up. He said he did each ascent in the low 50ies, one or two just under 50 min. Hope this helps the discussion. Uli Steidl

Uli Steidl
run4cache

run4cache
PostMon Nov 03, 2008 5:26 pm 
Thanks Uli for clarifying the facts! up.gif smile.gif

Mike Collins

Mike Collins
PostFri Nov 07, 2008 6:57 pm 
I was able to visit the library and review the Washington Historical Quarterly article written in July, 1931 for the dedication of the William Taylor Memorial Trail conducted by Edmund Meany. The best time for the accompanied race up and down was brought in by a man described as "an experienced mountain climber." Albert S. May of Renton came in with a time of 1 hr 24 minutes. Second place went to a certain Harold Wilson of North Bend who clocked in at 1 hr 27 minutes. It was the old trail but still 4 miles up/4 down with 4,000 ft of gain.