Forum Index > Trip Reports > Ranger Creek Trail, Little Ranger Peak
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Karen

Karen
PostFri Nov 07, 2003 8:49 pm 
This is a nice moderate hike, not too much elevation gain -- only 1,500 gain to Little Ranger Peak. Trail starts 1.4 miles beyond Camp Sheppard on the White River trail and in 1/4 mile or so the Ranger Creek Trail begins to climb. Not much to describe about most of the trail except we got really spooked about 1/4 mile below the turn-off to Little Ranger Peak. There was absolutely nobody else on the trail but it suddenly sounded like someone was taking a photo with a digital camera and it really made us jump. No one there. Then we heard strange noises coming from the uphill side that we could not identify. At times it sounded like the voice of a woman, at other times an undulating cry that we couldn't identify. We'd been talking about cougars on the way up -- maybe we just spooked ourselves as nothing happened but it was odd because we both heard the same noises. We almost turned around but talked ourselves out of the jitters and kept going. Little Ranger Peak is just one of the high points along a ridge overlooking the White River -- it's a small but treacherous prominence that we were content to look at rather than climb. Most of the fall color is gone but there are bits and pieces here and there. The view from the "peak" was stormy looking -- it looked like it was raining or snowing across the way though we stayed dry. No rain on us today at all. Roads were fine. Trail in good condition. No blow-downs. It's probably about 6 miles round trip, all in all. Karen
Ranger Creek Trail scene
Ranger Creek Trail scene

stay together, learn the flowers, go light - from Turtle Island, Gary Snyder
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
hikermike

hikermike
PostFri Nov 07, 2003 11:42 pm 
Your'e not kids, don't worry about cougars, they're just curious and not interested in you. Cougars are not fond of human flesh.

peppersteak'n'ale

peppersteak'n'ale
PostFri Nov 07, 2003 11:50 pm 
hikermike wrote:
Your'e not kids, don't worry about cougars, they're just curious and not interested in you. Cougars are not fond of human flesh.
Is there evidence of that? I heard of a guy attacked by a cougar on Vancouver Island last year and he had to fight it off with a knife and not without injury to himself. I've never seen one myself.

JimK

JimK
PostSat Nov 08, 2003 7:27 am 
According to this report there has been one death in Washington state. That was in 1924. The odds are still higher that you will shot by a dog. (See thread in the Saloon). Cougar Attacks

McPilchuck
Wild Bagger

McPilchuck
Wild Bagger
PostSat Nov 08, 2003 9:52 pm 
"heard of a guy attacked by a cougar on Vancouver Island last year and he had to fight it off with a knife and not without injury to himself." just a note here about Vancover Island: it has the largest population of cougars per mile base than any place else in the NW, if not the U.S. I know the Cougar Man of the Island (Don Palmer of Coweechen Lake) who has treed more cats than anyone, he use to kill them when a young man for bounty, now only takes pictures of them). He actually gets up in the trees with them for a photo opt -- his stories are something to hear. At any rate, as an adult I've never worried 'bout cougars or attack, but there's always the rare case. Same goes for bear herein Washington IMO, unless you are stupid and leave exposed food out around your camp. McPil

in the granite high-wild alpine land . . . www.alpinequest.com
Bob K

Bob K
PostSun Nov 09, 2003 4:12 pm 
Those sounds were very likely from a cougar. They make noises like that, similar to human cries (or ghosts!) Cougars have been known to attack humans, especially kids. I have also heard stories of cougars holding human heads or necks in their jaws waiting for the victims to die, but I can't recall where they've ever eaten a substantial amount of human flesh. Unless you do something really stupid, the chances of being attacked by a cougar or bear in Washington State are so remote it's not worth worrying about. I often hang my food, but it's usually more to protect from mice and chipmunks than bears and cougars. (Being around wildlife, especially seeing something as rare as a cougar, is one of the reasons I go hiking. I was lucky enough to encounter a large cougar at Muskey Lakelet below the Enchantments last month. He was leaving as we were getting there. He looked straight at us for a few seconds before casually wandering off into the forest where his golden coat blended with the peak autumn colors of the Enchantment grasses and larch. It was a memorable moment that will remain with me for a long time. The next morning we saw its fresh tracks next to Mesa Lake less than an eighth of a mile from our camp. That entire trip had a magical quality to it.) -