Forum Index > Trail Talk > Sulphide Creek - existing route?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Randy
Cube Rat

Randy
Cube Rat
PostMon Apr 01, 2002 4:58 pm 
Looks doable. Just a long day is all. It's the Silver Lake outlet approach that has me squirming.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Scrooge
Famous Grouse

Scrooge
Famous Grouse
PostMon Apr 01, 2002 6:31 pm 
Right on, Randy. Three miles on the Baker River Trail; two crow-fly-miles of (FB daunting) bushwhacking up Sulpide Creek; and 2000' in less than a mile trying to find a route up through the cliffs. Ho hum. Probably ought to plan on hitting Eruza on the same day to keep busy. wink.gif Or maybe just the Sulphide Glacier, to save wear and tear on the tires. agree.gif Sigh.

Something lost behind the ranges. Lost and waiting for you....... Go and find it. Go!
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostMon Apr 01, 2002 6:42 pm 
if you think this post changed, you're right. I had a smart ass answer to something I misread, so I decided to be smart ass to myself and re edit! Hey MtnGoat you numbnut, read more carefully!

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Randy
Cube Rat

Randy
Cube Rat
PostMon Apr 01, 2002 7:06 pm 
How about 2 long days, or it's impossible to get to Azure? Azure is what I was talking about, remember, you used my name and the lake in the same post? I thought my reply logically followed what you wrote.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostMon Apr 01, 2002 7:11 pm 
I recall someone fondly reminiscing about azure in this thread.

PostMon Apr 01, 2002 8:11 pm 
I followed you Randy, but I disagree that the Silver lake route you must be referring to would be substantially harder than Stetattle Cr. Why not take the well used Depot Cr route and slide over to Silver from there? Seen a pic from above the inlet. Looks doable.

Scrooge
Famous Grouse

Scrooge
Famous Grouse
PostMon Apr 01, 2002 8:50 pm 
You're right, Randy. I'm getting the two of them mixed up, since we're running both in this thread. In this case, it was Sulphide Creek I was thinking of, because I'd just gotten an awesome photo-montage of the drainage from Bryan. - If you ask him nicely, he'll probably e-mail you a copy (he'll need your real e-mail address). It's way too big to post here. To be honest, there doesn't seem to be much to choose between them. Azure appears to be about as bad as Sulphide. Three miles up the Stetattle Creek Trail (maintenance uncertain) followed by 3 1/2 miles of (reputedly) horrendous brush-bashing. About the same elevation gain, but Azure's climb is more spread out. You choose, Randy. Either way, I'm just bein' envious. agree.gif

Something lost behind the ranges. Lost and waiting for you....... Go and find it. Go!
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostMon Apr 01, 2002 9:21 pm 
Hmm, why not do it when there's a helpful layer of snow on the ground, or would that ruin the experience?

Randy
Cube Rat

Randy
Cube Rat
PostMon Apr 01, 2002 9:52 pm 
Depends on what you look for in a lake. If you're a "lake bagger" (what a term!) then maybe you don't care. I tend to like a lake that's at least 50% open for boating and fishing. If the lake and lake basin are covered in snow then I'd just assume go climb a high point and be a "peak bagger".

Brown Bagger

Brown Bagger
PostMon Apr 01, 2002 10:03 pm 
[removed by author's request]

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote View IP address of poster
lopper
off-route

lopper
off-route
PostMon Apr 01, 2002 10:57 pm 
I've spent time in both peak-bagging and lake-bagging camps. There is no question that a consolidated spring/early summer snowload makes for easier and quicker access to your choice of Cascades destination. With ample snowseal and good gaitors, it is turbo-step-kicking everywhere above 3000'. Unfortunately, the snowpack obscures a lot of what attracts me to these places. The rock-types, the heather gardens, the little watercourses. And as for photography, the harsh extremes of snowfield and rock face make for lots of high-f-stop monochrome photos. August thru early October=frantic season. Watch for blue sky episodes, drop everything and go! Hunt down those timber cones and try to avoid being eaten alive by the brush. Sulphide is a beast. Anybody making it up past the cliff horseshoe, I'd sure like to read your report!

polarbear

polarbear
PostMon Apr 01, 2002 11:04 pm 
You can't go to Ezura if it's coverd with snow. Ezura mans "eulb" so why go to it when it is covered with white? wink.gif

Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostMon Apr 01, 2002 11:30 pm 
Quote:
Sulphide is a beast. Anybody making it up past the cliff horseshoe, I'd sure like to read your report!
That's probably why no one (to my knowledge) has ever attempted to climb Shuksan from Baker Lake & Sulphide Creek. I don't see Silver Lake via Silver Creek being any worse than Sulphide Lake via Sulphide Creek, both have 2000' of waterfall to get around, and both have easier approaches. The only reason I'd even consider doing Silver Creek is to see the waterfall (lakes are sooo boring anyway... smile.gif ) I think Az...er, I mean Eruza is probably the worst because it's more isolated than either of the others (in terms of [good] trails nearby). Maybe some of us will just have to get together and do all three to find out...

Randy
Cube Rat

Randy
Cube Rat
PostTue Apr 02, 2002 12:45 am 
I have a picture of the outlet fall coming out of Silver Lake (just one section of it) taken by someone standing close to its base. Quite a sight, I'd love to do the climb out of the valley up to the lake. Yet, when I do go I have a feeling I'd come in from the north or up Depot Creek as Pappy suggests.

PostTue Apr 02, 2002 7:36 am 
My relatively limited experience with serious bushwacking tells me there is far more to it than what shows up on a topo. Similar gains and distances in one locale, do not necessarily equate to similar experiences in another similar place (on a map). IMO. I don't think snow on a lake ruins the experience as Tom questioned, but it wouldn't have the same appeal to me. The lake becomes a big flat snowfield. It was recently suggested to me that some of these places are actually better viewed from above. Guess you'd have to do both to know for sure.