Forum Index > Trip Reports > Granite Mtn 11-15-08
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Elvis
Shuffl'n

Elvis
Shuffl'n
PostSun Nov 16, 2008 12:28 am 
Granite Mountain has been on my to-do list for a few years and almost all the pieces fell into place today to make this a reality. Thanks, Lykkens, for the recent trail beta - it helped immensely with packing. There is still quite a bit of ice after you cross over to the opposite side of the ridge, so yak trax or Stabilicers would be put to good use on the upper part of this trail. I saw some deep footprints in the ice/water and have a hunch they are evidence of the Lunatiques trip (pic posted below). No wonder you all looked chilly in those pics. eek.gif Lots of nice people on the trail today, but no wildlife of any kind --- except for bugs (believe it or not).
Very Distant view of Lookout
Very Distant view of Lookout
Lookout - zoom
Lookout - zoom
Mt. Rainier from Granite Mtn Trail
Mt. Rainier from Granite Mtn Trail
Granite Mtn Lookout from a distance
Granite Mtn Lookout from a distance
Lunatique Footprints in frozen runoff
Lunatique Footprints in frozen runoff
Easterly view
Easterly view
Granite on Granite Mountain
Granite on Granite Mountain
View from backside of ridge, approaching the Lookout
View from backside of ridge, approaching the Lookout
Ice Blocks on trail
Ice Blocks on trail
Hiker descending Granite Mountain
Hiker descending Granite Mountain
Wooded trail scene
Wooded trail scene
Waterfall at trail intersection
Waterfall at trail intersection
Despite the fantastic weather and great views, my body simply wasn't willing to cooperate on the trail today. Calf and thigh cramps started to plague me at about the 2 mile mark and despite my slowing pace, frequent hydrating and eating they wouldn't relent. When my turnaround-time alarm sounded I was so close to the lookout, but my pace was only slowing and the cramps were increasing... so I'll have to head back next summer to finish the last 300 feet of vertical. mad.gif Even so, it was a beautiful day on the trail and I'm glad I became familiar with a trail that is 'new-to-me'. ~E

"Ill habits gather unseen degrees, as brooks make rivers, rivers run to seas." ~John Dryden My Trip List
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Grizzy
Yellow Cedar Hugger

Grizzy
Yellow Cedar Hugger
PostSun Nov 16, 2008 11:21 am 
Don't worry about not making it, the last time I "made it" there I could see all of 20 feet in each direction paranoid.gif ...which sucked considering the views there! I am now going to officially experiment with calcium pills to prevent cramps...( I was woken up by some doozies last night, took some calcium...drank some water, and the cramps ended rapidly) Great TR

All the birds have flown up and gone; A lonely cloud floats leisurely by. We never tire of looking at each other - Only the mountain and I. ~Li Po~
Go Jo
of the lykkens

Go Jo
of the lykkens
PostSun Nov 16, 2008 11:30 am 
Wow, it looks like a different place without 10 inches of snow covering the rocks. It always amazes me how rapidly the mountains can change. Glad you made it up in such promising weather, I had a feeling it would get a little more icy with each passing day of sun. And don't worry about missing the look out, I think the upper meadows are the highlight of this trip... muscle burning elevation gain is highly over rated winksmile.gif ~Jo

GaliWalker
Have camera will use

GaliWalker
Have camera will use
PostSun Nov 16, 2008 1:13 pm 
I almost went there yesterday, but decided to opt for Mt Si because of some time issues (first time off the couch in a month for me). It was a gorgeous day and some of the best views of Rainier I've seen recently. agree.gif
the lykkens wrote:
And don't worry about missing the look out, I think the upper meadows are the highlight of this trip
I wholeheartedly agree. Whenever I think of Granite Mountain, I think of those meadows.

'Gali'Walker => 'Mountain-pass' walker bobbi: "...don't you ever forget your camera!" Photography: flickr.com/photos/shahiddurrani
SK

SK
PostSun Nov 16, 2008 5:23 pm 
Definitely adding this one to my list. Looks pretty amazing up there. up.gif

Don't capitalize for emphasis, ok? Capitalization!
mountaineer ordinaire

mountaineer ordinaire
PostSun Nov 16, 2008 6:44 pm 
With clear skies, a light breeze, and temps near 50, today, it felt like mid-September on the summit.

seattlehikertoo

seattlehikertoo
PostMon Nov 17, 2008 12:24 am 
I wholeheartedly disagree about Granite Lookout. However, I will say that it takes more strength to turn back than to succumb to summit fever.