Forum Index > Trip Reports > West Cady Ridge
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostSun Nov 16, 2008 10:27 pm 
Had to go again; glad I did. JimK joined me on this trip. He was excited to add the 20th new destination on his list of trips this year. Each year he tries to get 10 new destinations under his belt. He doubled it this year. I was here about a two months ago with More Cowbell, but the day was too brilliant for good photos, and most of them were washed out and icky. Today the lighting was wonderful. Kyes, Columbia, Sloan, a wierd view of Pugh, Indian Head and of course Dakobed. Dakobed was so crisp and clear, you can make out Sitkum Spire in the photo, and also in my photo I can see where the PCT and the N Fk Sauk trail meet. I'll add a label.
Dakobed.  Don't get too excited, this was taken with my zoom lense
2 labels
Dakobed. Don't get too excited, this was taken with my zoom lense
My photos of Kyes and Columbia are pretty boring, so I hope JimK will post his. I have more photos on my point & shoot, but I'm too tired to go over them tonight; if anything good comes up, I'll add those tomorrow. It was cold as a well-diggers ass at the trailhead and across the bridge; but a lot warmer in the forest when we started gaining elevation. At our stopping point, we were warm and comfy. Sunglasses were necessary this day; a thin blanket of snow covers the upper portion on the ridge.
Mt R - taken with zoom lense
Mt R - taken with zoom lense
Sloan, wierd view of Pugh Mtn.  You guessed it - this is zoomed in too
Sloan, wierd view of Pugh Mtn. You guessed it - this is zoomed in too
snowglint on meltwater, looking south.  Not taken with zoom lense
snowglint on meltwater, looking south. Not taken with zoom lense
It was freezing-cold again near the trailhead. Jeez.
brown leaves and baby hemlocks.  Not taken with zoom, I had to lay in the dirt
brown leaves and baby hemlocks. Not taken with zoom, I had to lay in the dirt
Anyone know when the newish trail was built? The current trail is built on top of an older trail, and was re-reouted to make longer, gentler switchbacks. You can see the old trail at practically every switchback, from the beginning of the trail all the way to the top. Looks like the new trail was built in the 80's or early 90's....?

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostSun Nov 16, 2008 10:47 pm 
That is a pretty good TR for only five pictures. Love that angle of Sloan because both shelves are visible.

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.
PostSun Nov 16, 2008 11:15 pm 
You just pushed W Cady up near the top of my must return list. hockeygrin.gif I noticed re-routes along the entire trail last sept. too

"Bears couldn't care less about us....we smell bad and don't taste too good. Bugs on the other hand see us as vending machines." - WetDog Albuterol! it's the 11th essential
JimK

JimK
PostSun Nov 16, 2008 11:20 pm 
I'll have more time to go through my photos in a day or two. Here are two different views of Sloan Peak from trips this weekend.
From Stillaguamish Peak
From Stillaguamish Peak
From West Cady Ridge
From West Cady Ridge

Sabahsboy

Sabahsboy
PostTue Nov 18, 2008 9:02 pm 
My now deceased mother would give special award to Mount Sloan. To her, it is a "real mountain". Indeed! The mount has character and more. Thanks for the TR and photos, Quark...and many more to come! How far on West Cady did you go? I understand you can drive up to the beginning of the trail....true? Of course, the drive is long over Beckler River Road. I went up on West Cady a few times and enjoyed it so much I finally did the loop, now many years ago. That is a long day on the trail! Benchmark Mountain pano is terrific, though; one of the best hikes anywhere.

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostTue Nov 18, 2008 9:33 pm 
Sabahsboy, I love it when someone's mom or dad has a special mountain. Sloan is indeed a "real" mountain. Tell us why your mom loves it so. You can drive all the way to the trailhead. The washouts have been repaired. It's not too long a drive because the road is in excellent condition; well graded, smooth. We did note that only the first concrete bridge sports a double-yellow stripe on it's pavement. Apparently you are allowed to pass on all other bridges over creeks. So if someone ain't going fast enough, wait til you get to a bridge and gun it.

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
Tazz

Tazz
PostTue Nov 18, 2008 9:41 pm 
I wub.gif sloan...we have special relationship.. biggrin.gif Sweet image Dakobed!!!

Sabahsboy

Sabahsboy
PostTue Nov 18, 2008 10:05 pm 
Well, of Sloan. No, Mother never saw it...she loved mountains that "looked like mountains"; Grand Teton, Teewinot, Owen, Moran; and a sprinking of peaks we all enjoyed on road trips that were famous in America of the 1950's and early '60's. I picked up on this and ran with it...er...moved to Washington. I gave myself a choice, being a Midwestern type in need for a bump on the landscape: Boston/New England (I liked Mount Washington a lot); Colorado (obvious reasons); Wyoming (well, the Tetons are there...and those wonderous Wind Rivers); and Washington. Of the four, I had never set foot in Washington. Of course, I moved in two trips (so I could drive over the Rockies twice). Sadly, I have not returned to Wyoming* or the Rockies since except flying over them.
Soaring Summit Of Sloan
Soaring Summit Of Sloan
Mt.Sloan Spectacular
Mt.Sloan Spectacular
Glacier Peak
Glacier Peak
I am sure Mother would have "oh'd and ah'd" at Sloan. It just has that feeling to grab your tummy place and thrill you. Alas, I have not set foot on that mount, either. Then, again, the one mountain I most wanted to reach the top when I moved to NW was St. Helens (I had a "thing" about the place from childhood...seeing calendar photos of Spirit Lake and St. Helens, I tried my hand at watercolor painting St. Helens...from calendar photos....gorsh, I might have been 12). When I firmed up my plan it was summer of 1979 and I spent several weeks tromping on Mt. Adams, summit included...and all those phenomenal meadows. St. Helens' siren call told me, "Now!" So, I put "Now" on hold and scheduled it for summer of 1980. You know the rest.... *Family spent a week or two every summer at Grand Teton NP, 1953-59 and some more in early '60's. I traveled there alone in a brand new VW in 1964 and many times there after. The lore of Jackson Hole is deep rooted in me. However, my favorite backpacking trips were in the Wind River Range...it was then a great wild place and more spectacular than Yosemite (minus a few waterfalls).

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostTue Nov 18, 2008 10:28 pm 
Sabahasboy, that's a great story. Funny how we think about what our moms would like. I walk campgrounds and try to decide which site my mom would have chosen. Definately site #8 at Sulphur Creek campground, and #12 at Mineral Creek. There was a local TV show in Detroit in the 1960's that my dad loved to watch, the George Perot show, a travel show. The guy would have film of folks bicycling the mountain passes of the Rockies, and of hiking and camping out west, and the narrator was so funny. We all sat around the TV and loved to watch it. In summer my dad & mom would pack up the camper, grab the kids & the dog, and we'd head west for 3 weeks. Stayed at Mt Rainier National Park in 1972, the record snow year.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostTue Nov 18, 2008 11:18 pm 
Me mum thought it was stupid to climb any mountains, so it goes.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
wolffie

wolffie
PostWed Nov 19, 2008 11:58 pm 
Benchmark/Dishpan Gap/Bald Eagle Ridge/Quartz Creek loop
There are about 6 different loops one can do from that trailhead, but the one I like best is: West Cady Ridge/Benchmark Mt/PCT/Dishpan Gap/Bald eagle Ridge/Quartz Creek. Do a careful, no-trace bivvy on Pt. 6562 (Blue Lake High Route); in dry season, you may have to hump a night's worth of water all the way from Ward's Pass, but I found a small snowpatch on that summit in July 2005. Great place to watch the full moon rise. I also spent a night there on a weekend clockwise loop from the N. Fork Sauk trailhead; in via White Pass & PCT, out via Pilot Ridge. If you plan to exit via Pass Creek Trail, you'll be committed to fording the N. Fork Skykomish, which I found to be thigh-deep (I'm 5'11"), in the dark, at not particularly high water.

Some people have better things to do with their lives than walking the dog. Some don't.
JimK

JimK
PostThu Nov 20, 2008 2:57 pm 
I have my report up now here: West Cady Report & Photos Here are a few of my photos:
Bridge Over Skykomish
Bridge Over Skykomish
Kim & Big Tree
Kim & Big Tree
Kyes Peak
Kyes Peak
Columbia Peak
Columbia Peak
Glacier Peak
Glacier Peak
Unusual Utensil
Unusual Utensil
View South
View South
Reflection
Reflection

Sabahsboy

Sabahsboy
PostThu Nov 20, 2008 7:53 pm 
JimK, Great report! I think the small evergreens at the top of the ridge (in your photos) are larger and more in number than I recall. That means the forest is reclaiming the meadows of West Cady Ridge. Advice to those interested in this beautiful hike...go and go soon! Autumn color is best on the meadows. I have not been there for spring flower fest....maybe I will go if the road and trail hold up well this winter....after all, West Cady is a hard place to beat for an outing! Thanks for the fine photos!

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostThu Nov 20, 2008 7:54 pm 
Nice pic of Indian Head Peak, Jim! up.gif Mine didn't turn out very good; yours really shows the profile well. Ever find out what Mystery Peak is? I forgot about those goofy trailhead signs. All wrapped up in plastic to protect them from the weather, I guess. dizzy.gif