Forum Index > The Trading Post > For Sale: Raichle Rotondo Boots
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Ken Smith

Ken Smith
PostSun Oct 19, 2003 5:26 pm 
Hello, I would like to make a correction on the above post. The current backlog for the Limmer Custom made boots was posted as correct, however, the CURRENT price is $560.00 plus options. Any price increases incured during the backlog would be added to the final delivery price. Thanks, Ken Smith Peter Limmer and Sons

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
salish

salish
PostSun Oct 19, 2003 6:00 pm 
Ken, Thank you for posting here, it's really neat to have the maker join us in the discussion. I have a question for you, if you don't mind. I spoke with you (or someone in your shop) several weeks ago in regard to custom made Limmer Standards. I was the originator of this thread and I called you about finding a boot that would approximate as closely as possible the old Raichle boots, as far as toughness is concerned. I was directed to the Limmer Standards, which looks like a hell of a boot. But I was told the price would be approximately $750.00, after the three year wait. Was the price of $560.00 for the mid-weight boots, or did I misunderstand you? There were no options discussed, other than the fact that I have wide feet and need custom made boots for that. Thanks, Cliff Thanks, Cliff

My short-term memory is not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my short-term memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
Ken Smith

Ken Smith
PostSun Oct 19, 2003 6:10 pm 
Well, I guess the best way to explain it is this. We cannot quote an exact price on a product that's going to be made 3 1/2 years from now. We usually tell a person a range of price as an estimate and the numbers I've heard from my co-workers and quote myself is between $650 and $700.00. A lot of this projected price hinges on the economy between Germany and the U.S. as our most expensive components come from there. There are a number of other things that come into play and we try our best to keep our prices as fair as possible. Thanks again, Ken

Dante

Dante
PostSun Oct 19, 2003 10:41 pm 
Wow, this is cool. Where are all thes manufacturer posts coming from? We've had Henry Shires, the guy from Six Moons Designs and now Mr. Smith from Limmer? Who's next? Todd Bibler or Jack Stephenson? I love this board! biggrin.gif Thanks for posting Ken smile.gif

salish

salish
PostMon Oct 20, 2003 5:51 am 
Ken Smith wrote:
Well, I guess the best way to explain it is this. We cannot quote an exact price on a product that's going to be made 3 1/2 years from now. We usually tell a person a range of price as an estimate and the numbers I've heard from my co-workers and quote myself is between $650 and $700.00. A lot of this projected price hinges on the economy between Germany and the U.S. as our most expensive components come from there. There are a number of other things that come into play and we try our best to keep our prices as fair as possible. Thanks again, Ken
Ken, Fair enough. Thanks very much for clarifying this. It truly is nice to be hearing from you. Cliff

My short-term memory is not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my short-term memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
kraitcatcher

kraitcatcher
PostMon Oct 20, 2003 11:15 am 
Aico Guide up date:10/20/03 just got the e-mail today from Altin Michela,Alicosport.Italy,boots have been shipped by air last Friday,thinks they will arive at Sierra Trading post this week,pass this on to any one looking for the Guides and stay in touch with STP as I dont know how many pairs there sending. Best Regards,James

currently looking for backpacking partners for next may for a week in the trinity alps,asnd some other trips and help on a book that will involve tons of camping
Dante

Dante
PostTue Oct 21, 2003 10:12 am 
Not there yet.

kraitcatcher

kraitcatcher
PostTue Nov 04, 2003 7:27 pm 
alico guides
have the Alico Guides arived at Sierra Tradding Post Yet?let me know,James

currently looking for backpacking partners for next may for a week in the trinity alps,asnd some other trips and help on a book that will involve tons of camping
salish

salish
PostTue Nov 04, 2003 8:05 pm 
James, I spoke with the Rep from STP on Monday and the boots have not been added to their inventory or catalog yet. They couldn't tell me if the boots had arrived or not. Cliff

Bufalinoland

Bufalinoland
PostFri Nov 07, 2003 7:02 am 
Real boots
hello everyone, this is a great site and i just discovered it. I am a boot enthusiast just like yourselves. Is it me or is it becoming harder to find some old school boots anymore. I currently wear the Scarpa alp and am due for a new pair of something. Does anyone know where I can get another pair. I do realize they are discontinued. The new Scarpa Manta M4 look like a pair of sneakers. thanks Joe Bufalino Edinboro, PA

Dante

Dante
PostFri Nov 07, 2003 3:51 pm 
Bufalinoland wrote:
Is it me or is it becoming harder to find some old school boots anymore. I currently wear the Scarpa alp and am due for a new pair of something. Does anyone know where I can get another pair. I do realize they are discontinued.
I think it is becoming harder to find "old school" boots. Welted boots are more expensive to make than cemented ones (skilled labor). They tend to be heavier (I just learned that a pair of Vibram Montagna soles weigh over 1 1/2 pounds by themselves). They are stiffer than cemented boots, so many people find them less comfortable. For all these reasons, there is less demand and less supply. My Asolo FSN 95 Gore Tex Boots were great boots...for almost two years. Now the sole is shot and the synthetic lining is sagging. Call me old fashioned, but I want a boot that will last a few years. It's not as if I get out every weekend anymore, either. I think there is a Scarpa link higher up in this thread. You can still get the Scarpa Rio. They are discontinued, but still available. I don't know about the Alp. I attached a spreadsheet in this thread somewhere above. It includes all the production (non-custom) "old school" options I could find...

Bufalinoland

Bufalinoland
PostWed Nov 12, 2003 6:57 am 
Dj, thanks for the info. anyone know when str is getting those alico guides in thanks

Dante

Dante
PostTue Nov 25, 2003 11:13 am 
They're at STP now. See my new thread. Here is an update of my "Old School Boot Spreadsheet" 📎NORWEGIAN WELT, LEATHER LINED, HEAVY-DUTY HIKING BOOTS.xls (15 KB)

fields

fields
PostFri Jul 09, 2004 10:12 am 
van gokom boot comments
I saw an old posting from you (year 2001) that you may purchase van gorkom boots and wondered if you did or not. If you did, were you happy? I just requested the measuring kit.

kraitcatcher

kraitcatcher
PostWed Sep 16, 2009 12:00 pm 
old school boots
Hey I was jus looking back at this topic as I bought a pair of Rachiels from this site,and another pair brand new from Italy,Gronells,they are tanks for your feet.But I to am looking into custom boots after this style and thought I would sahare this site with you.www.hikingbootshandcrafted.com Charles VanGorkom is the guy,1 pair a week,one pair at a time,gaurnteed to fit.They are pricy however,I got my pair locked in at $1600 a year ago and they are scheduald to be made in November,but they are the old school hiking/mountaieering boots.Check em out. krait