Forum Index > Trip Reports > Follow the Yellow Hill Trail: Yellow, Elbow, Humerus, Jolly
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Schmidt Altitude
Whippet Entourage

Schmidt Altitude
Whippet Entourage
PostWed Nov 19, 2008 7:36 pm 
Dates: Sunday, November 16 Crew: GeoTom and Jasper, yukon222, Schmidt Altitude (Babe, Row, Kief, Dude) Summits (in order we gained them): Yellow Hill – 5527’ (unranked), Elbow Peak – 5720’ (#81 Back Court 100), Humerus Hill – 5920’ (#76 Back Court 100), Jolly Mountain – 6443’ (#60 Back Court 100, #13 Teanaway 20) Route: Yellow Hill Trail, #1222, to Jolly Mountain Trail, #1307 Hiking Stats: ~15.25 miles* traveled, 6352 feet gained, 6775 feet descended, 10 hour 1 minute car to car including breaks *According to TOPO!, Green Trails has the mileage around 17.5 Resources: Green Trails Maps No 208, Kachess Lake, and No 209, Mount Stuart After dropping off Tom’s truck at Cayuse Horse Camp a magical storm swept us all up in Yukon’s Vibe and transported us to the old spur road just past the Indian Camp Ground on the Middle Fork Teanaway River. At first we were fearful we wouldn’t be able to find our way back to Tom’s truck until we found an old manuscript written by The Good Witch Sadie’s Driver describing how to find the Wizard of the Teanaways, the mysterious JimK, who could hopefully show us the way home. And how were we supposed to find this Wizard you might ask? Quite simple stated the manuscript, “Just follow the Yellow Hill Trail, just follow the Yellow Hill Trail, just follow, follow, follow, follow, follow the Yellow Hill Trail!” . . .
Still a few golden larches to be seen
Still a few golden larches to be seen
On the old spur road under the moon
On the old spur road under the moon
Mysterious red sky in the south
Mysterious red sky in the south
Yella' Boyz
Yella' Boyz
Yellow Hill group shot
Yellow Hill group shot
Mount Stuart from the Yellow Hill trail
Mount Stuart from the Yellow Hill trail
We started up the old road for 1.5 miles until we found the start of the Yellow Hill Trail, #1222. Along the way we saw evidence of the other uses this trail is open to, horses and motorcycles, but never encountered any other users the whole day. We were quickly introduced to the bane of this trail – counter elevation. Of course, being the shutter bugs that we are (especially with Tom using a borrowed DSLR) we stopped at each high point to take pictures. The cloud filled Teanaway River valley south of us was especially pleasing and we were surprised to still see the occasional yellow larch dotting the hillsides below us. We made it the Yellow Hill summit two hours after starting out. The trail doesn’t go directly to the summit and we found that the easiest way to find it was to follow the trail past the summit until just before it begins to descend and then work back SE along the ridge crest. There is a U.S. Geological Survey marker on the summit. The summit is thickly forested but there are some peek-a-boo views of the Stuart Range and Eastern Teanaway Peaks.
On the trail
On the trail
Rainier from Point 5438'
Rainier from Point 5438'
Oh no, now they all have a DSLR!
Oh no, now they all have a DSLR!
Ridge walk to Elbow Peak
Ridge walk to Elbow Peak
After Yellow Hill, the trail descends a few hundred feet then climbs back up to Point 5438’ (where we were treated to some great views of Mount Rainier), then back down again, and finally back up to the summit of Elbow Peak, which is a treeless, rounded knob. It took us an hour to travel from Yellow to Elbow. The best views from Elbow are west of both Sasse Ridge (Sasse Mtn, Hex Mtn) and Domerie Ridge (Thomas Mtn, Mt Baldy).
Yes, ever more snow rolling whippets
Yes, ever more snow rolling whippets
Our Elbow elbows
Our Elbow elbows
Where is the Wizard of the Teanaway?
Where is the Wizard of the Teanaway?
NW Hikers are loose on the trail!
NW Hikers are loose on the trail!
Rowena silhouetted in front of Stuart
Rowena silhouetted in front of Stuart
GeoTom on the trail
GeoTom on the trail
We continued on to discover that the counter elevation between Elbow and Humerus to be the worst of the whole traverse irked.gif . The trail drops about 500’ feet from Elbow Peak to the lowest point but it has so many ups and downs that the cumulative counter elevation is much more than that mad.gif . For us, this was the most mentally exhausting part of the trail. Eventually, we turned the corner where the trail makes a bend and heads west for a bit and ran up the next high point, exhaulting in finally reaching our goal only to discover that there was an even higher point just beyond doh.gif . The problem was that we didn’t write down the elevation of Humerus Hill and since it is not marked on maps we assumed the Point 5750’ written on the map was the summit. We made our way to the true Humerus Hill summit (5920+’) and enjoyed the views NE of the Stuart Range and surrounding peaks. It took us about a hour and half to go between Elbow and Humerus (the name is a play on words with the two peaks it sits between – the humerus is the bone of the upper arm, one of the bones connected to the elbow joint and is a homonym to humorous which is a synonym of jolly).
Wait a minute, that hill over there looks higher!!!
Wait a minute, that hill over there looks higher!!!
Great views from Humerus Hill
Great views from Humerus Hill
Dude on Humerus Hill with Jolly Mountain behind
Dude on Humerus Hill with Jolly Mountain behind
Humerus hill goes down to the Babe!
Humerus hill goes down to the Babe!
Is Yukon itching to climb Stuart again?!?
Is Yukon itching to climb Stuart again?!?
Humerus hilarity
Humerus hilarity
Jolly and Stuart from Humerus Hill
Jolly and Stuart from Humerus Hill
The wind was really howling on the summit so after climbing to the top of both high points (just to be sure) we descended back down to the trail and had lunch. Then we set off for Jolly Mountain. Of course, the trail descends to about 5200’ before starting to rise the last 1200’ feet to the summit bawl.gif which wouldn’t be too bad if we hadn’t hit deep snow on the east face of Jolly. Our momentum came to a grinding halt as we trudged up unbroken, knee deep, hard, wet snow stuck.gif . Even though Humerus Hill and Jolly Mountain are a little over a mile apart (as the crow flies - cacaw!) it took us nearly two hours to hike between the summits! All our hard work was rewarded with the best views of the entire trip. We could see clearly from Three Queens Mountain to Navaho Peak with all the myriad of peaks we have climbed and yet to climb in between! Someone had built a large windbreak on the summit but we didn’t find the “Wizard” in his fortress wink.gif .
Finding the deep snow
Finding the deep snow
The whippets are working hard to keep pace with the two-leggers
The whippets are working hard to keep pace with the two-leggers
On the east side of Jolly Mountain
On the east side of Jolly Mountain
Dude's still breaking the trail
Dude's still breaking the trail
Untouched snow and Mount Stuart
Untouched snow and Mount Stuart
Now it's just a little ridge walk to the Jolly Mtn summit
Now it's just a little ridge walk to the Jolly Mtn summit
Chikamin, Lemah, Chimney Rock, Summit Chief, & Bears Breast from Jolly
Chikamin, Lemah, Chimney Rock, Summit Chief, & Bears Breast from Jolly
Pano north from Jolly Mtn
Pano north from Jolly Mtn
Now that the fun parts were over we knew that the six miles along the Jolly Mountain Trail back to Tom’s truck would be agonizing. At first, we couldn’t see the trail because of all the snow so we just headed in the direction we thought it should be until we came across the path in the trees. When we arrived at the junction with the Jolly Creek Trail, #1335, we found day-old tracks in the snow. Not having to break fresh trail anymore sure made a difference in our speed smile.gif . Soon we were following the trail off Sasse Ridge into the Salmon la Sac creek drainage, past the Paris Creek Trail, #1307.1, junction and the final 3 miles to the trailhead. Those last three miles seemed to take forever, especially for yukon222 and Babe. Yukon had been battling an off-again/on-again cold for weeks and spent more time hacking, snorting, and spitting as the day progressed gag.gif . Babe started off the day feeling fine but developed a cough and slight fever as time went on frown.gif . Tom and Dude started to get worried that they were going to have to carry their companions off the mountain huh.gif . Somehow they both found the inner strength to pull through and we made it to the truck at 5:45PM, exactly ten hours after starting.
Jolly jokesters
Jolly jokesters
Down goes Babe!
Down goes Babe!
A beautiful ending to a great day
A beautiful ending to a great day
Sunset color on some of our favorite Home Court peaks
Sunset color on some of our favorite Home Court peaks
A boy and his dog
A boy and his dog
Babe's not feeling too well but she's a trooper
Babe's not feeling too well but she's a trooper
Full picture set on flickr

"Forest 101: These big wood stick things are called trees. The big rocks are called mountains, and the little rocks are their babies." Elliott from Open Season
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
yukon222

yukon222
PostWed Nov 19, 2008 7:36 pm 
Wow, what a fun late fall season dayhike! Plenty of timing issues though, trying to squeeze in a long hike plus the extra driving time related to the one-way traverse and two car shuttle. It all worked out well, although 4hrs sleep, 4:15am wake-up call, 3hrs driving, 10hrs of almost non-stop hiking and 3hrs driving sure made for a long day. lol.gif Definitely recommend the South-North traverse direction as the views keep expanding the farther north you travel. Plus the Sun is at your back for better photos and vision. Would get old in a hurry if you had to keep turning around to gaze at the broad views of the Stuart Range. Jolly Mtn summit is very nice with commanding views in all directions. And there is already a 48" high rock windbreak on the summit to shelter your tent or bivy. No water sources (other than snow) along this long traverse until you are in the Salmon La Sac creek basin near the endpoint.
DSC_8277 - golden light at Yellow Hill
DSC_8277 - golden light at Yellow Hill
pano4 - Stuart Range
pano4 - Stuart Range
pano7 - Lemahs, Chimney and Summit Chief
pano7 - Lemahs, Chimney and Summit Chief
DSC_8417 - Dude getting psyched up for tough slog
DSC_8417 - Dude getting psyched up for tough slog
DSC_8426 - cutting up Jolly Mtn
DSC_8426 - cutting up Jolly Mtn
pano12 - Hinman, Daniel and friends
pano12 - Hinman, Daniel and friends
DSC_8462 - north view descending from Jolly Mtn
DSC_8462 - north view descending from Jolly Mtn
DSC_8466 - icy light
DSC_8466 - icy light
pano15 - Lemahs and Chiefs
pano15 - Lemahs and Chiefs

GeoTom

GeoTom
PostWed Nov 19, 2008 7:37 pm 
Looks like you guys had a great trip. wink.gif Unfortunately for me I had to wake up even earlier to make the initial drive to North Bend. zzz.gif Good thing I had prepared the coffee the night before and just had to hit the switch coffee.gif A very enjoyable day with good company. up.gif Here are a few photos of mine. Similar to the previous ones, but different too:
A pleasant fall morning
A pleasant fall morning
The moon
The moon
Clouds in the valley
Clouds in the valley
Dogs (and Babe) on Yellow)
Dogs (and Babe) on Yellow)
View of Stuart
View of Stuart
More shutter delay
More shutter delay
Yes Angry Hiker, I found another snowpatch
Yes Angry Hiker, I found another snowpatch
Humerus Hill antics
Humerus Hill antics
Jasper is hungry
Jasper is hungry
Rowena cannot bite Jasper through the bag
Rowena cannot bite Jasper through the bag
Goodbye Humerus
Goodbye Humerus
Hello Jolly
Hello Jolly
Jolly south slopes
Jolly south slopes
-Snag on Jolly
-Snag on Jolly
Jolly hikers
Jolly hikers
Views from Jolly
Views from Jolly
Nap time
Nap time
Grass
Grass
What? Another 2 miles to go?
What? Another 2 miles to go?
The girls looking at Jasper
The girls looking at Jasper
These same photos and more here

Knows literally nothing
Go Jo
of the lykkens

Go Jo
of the lykkens
PostWed Nov 19, 2008 8:19 pm 
Schmidt Altitude wrote:
Yella' Boyz
Yella' Boyz
Yellow Hill group shot
Yellow Hill group shot
Dorothy's easy to peg and I see a few ToTos in there, but who's who for the Scarecrow, the Lion & the Tin Man? embarassedlaugh.gif Very creative and informative TR, hope all who were ailing are on the road to recovery...

wamtngal

wamtngal
PostWed Nov 19, 2008 8:23 pm 
Nice way to tie all of those together! I always thought of those more as winter excursions, but by tying them all together, you created an interesting trip! up.gif up.gif

Opinions expressed here are my own.
Jasper
Cascade Snow Pig

Jasper
Cascade Snow Pig
PostWed Nov 19, 2008 8:28 pm 
I had a good time, and even got to play a little with the whippets. up.gif Although, I am still pissed about riding in the canopy of dad's truck while everyone else rode up front after the hike. mad.gif

GeoTom

GeoTom
PostWed Nov 19, 2008 8:46 pm 
the lykkens wrote:
Dorothy's easy to peg and I see a few ToTos in there, but who's who for the Scarecrow, the Lion & the Tin Man?
I know you might think I am Dorothy, but in reality Alti-Babe was. The 3 Toto's have been renamed: Roto, Kieto and Jasto. Since I like rocks (and metals too I guess?) I will be the Tin Man. Yukon222 is the Lion as he was wearing a yellow shirt. That leaves Alti-Dude as the scarecrow. Fitting. biggrin.gif

Knows literally nothing
Go Jo
of the lykkens

Go Jo
of the lykkens
PostWed Nov 19, 2008 8:49 pm 
mum.gif I didn't say nuthin' embarassedlaugh.gif

Schmidt Alti-Dude
4th class poster

Schmidt Alti-Dude
4th class poster
PostWed Nov 19, 2008 9:24 pm 
In the original version of the trip report that I abandoned because I didn't know the story well enough to convert it into a whole trip report, Steve was the Tinman, Tom the lion, I was the Scarecrow, Tisha was Dorothy, Jasper was Toto, and the whippets were the winged monkeys.

Anything stated by me in no way reflects the attitudes or opinions of my wife
EastKing
Surfing and Hiking

EastKing
Surfing and Hiking
PostWed Nov 19, 2008 10:11 pm 
Great trip!!!! I am going to get some directions for this group of mountains!!! Jolly Mountain has been on my list for a while. up.gif up.gif

YouTube | SummitPost Saw the depths of despair. Now I am salvaging what time I have left on Earth.
Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostWed Nov 19, 2008 10:34 pm 
Very nice quadruple bag y'all. up.gif up.gif up.gif up.gif

Movenhike
\m/..mmmmetal\m/

Movenhike
\m/..mmmmetal\m/
PostWed Nov 19, 2008 11:03 pm 
Gee, I keep wantin' ta hate you guys but hey, nice work. have fun.

"Make it your Friend" -John Bull
Ingunn
Hiking Viking

Ingunn
Hiking Viking
PostWed Nov 19, 2008 11:05 pm 
Mmm, fantastic mountain (and snoozy pups) photos!

Sadie's Driver
Sadie's Driver

Sadie's Driver
Sadie's Driver
PostWed Nov 19, 2008 11:12 pm 
Schmidt Altitude wrote:
written by The Good Witch Sadie’s Driver describing how to find the Wizard of the Teanaways, the mysterious JimK, who could hopefully show us the way home.
Hey, hey - Careful, careful. The Good Witch arrived in the Emerald City and to her surprise, viola - Madonna! Amazing. lol.gif Love this trip for a good workout - Sadie, Clover and I didn't make it to Jolly on our trip - but thanks for the info - great description. The "down" off of Elbow was definitely no fun!
Schmidt Altitude wrote:
It took us about a hour and half to go between Elbow and Humerus (the name is a play on words with the two peaks it sits between – the humerus is the bone of the upper arm, one of the bones connected to the elbow joint and is a homonym to humorous which is a synonym of jolly).
confused.gif What did you just say??? shakehead.gif hmmm.gif rolleyes.gif The scary thing is, I think you think this makes sense! Love the pics from all of you DSLR-ers. I am sooo jealous - and inadequate! bawl.gif Nice job. up.gif s.d.

Four-paw buddy lets me tag along!
ree

ree
PostThu Nov 20, 2008 9:50 am 
Very pretty. up.gif