Forum Index > Trip Reports > TNAB Winter Solstice Hike 2008 - Lil Si
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Mesahchie Mark
A Lerxst

Mesahchie Mark
A Lerxst
PostFri Dec 19, 2008 4:32 pm 
TNAB Winter Solstice Hike, Lil Si, 12/18/08 Attendance: Larry Jason Peggy (Runningbird) Steve (Yukon222) Chris (Magnum) Don and Lynda (The M. Constants) Josie of the Lykkens Joseph (GQHikerDude) Victoria John (Moosefish) Yet Yours Truly This is how TNAB works: We pick a hike, a day, and a time, and then we stick to it no matter what. So you can't be surprised when 12 TNAB'ers showed up at Peggy's door Thursday night to go hiking in celebration of the Winter Solstice, on a day when most sane people stayed safely huddled up at home. On to hike Mt Si! ...Or how about Lil Si instead? I was able to convince most folks to head for the junior peak, while the McDonald clan tried to keep up with Peggy on the old trail. The Lil Si trail, though familiar, takes on a different, other-worldly feel under a blanket of snow and the cover of darkness. Much more fun! The exposed summit rocks of Lil Si were obscured by drifted snow, leading some to take ill-advised steps. Glog and cookies were immediately passed around. Above us, the frozen bulk of Si Senior loomed, occasionally disappearing as low clouds passed by. Tiki torches were lit and the attendees gathered for a group shot. At this moment, the time was right to pass the torch(es), figuratively and literally, to the new blood in TNAB. I have had the pleasure of organizing TNAB hikes for five years, and now I was stepping down. Stepping up (whether they want to or not) are Steve (Yukon222), Chris (Magnum) and Josie (a dozen aliases). Although I'm not sure what direction they'll take the group, you can bet it'll be fun and exciting. In short, the future of TNAB is in good hands. agree.gif Not long after my meandering speech, we finished our drinks, packed our packs, and headed out, tikis aloft. One torch actually remained lit all the way to the exit. We reconvened at Peggy's place, exchanged pleasantries with King County's finest, and got a short tour of Peggy's beautiful hand-built home. It was a great way to end a great day with great friends. Thanks, TNAB'ers - you guys rock!

Cheers, Mesahchie Mark
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Yet

Yet
PostFri Dec 19, 2008 4:36 pm 
I has frozen mustache. LORTZ!
I has frozen mustache. LORTZ!
My name is Rufus. Want a kiss?
My name is Rufus. Want a kiss?
I iz looking for gold. Or cookie.
I iz looking for gold. Or cookie.

Yet

Yet
PostFri Dec 19, 2008 4:46 pm 
It’s been my honor to witness two seasons of TNAB with Mark as the organizer. I’ve seen how much of his time and effort, heart and soul Mark puts into each and every TNAB hike. And it showed. Every TNAB hike I’ve been to was more than just a hike, it was a celebration. Being a TNAB’er isn't about the speed - though some of us are very very fast, and some of us are very, very slow. (Okay, maybe just one of us. wink.gif) For me, being a TNAB’er is showing up on a cold snowy night, out of shape from months of sitting on my butt studying for nursing school, enjoying every snowflake that landed on my nose and sometimes on my tongue, and appreciating the beauty. It is arriving at the summit of Little Si and being besieged by offers of pecan cookies, glogg, and Yukon Jack. It is changing into warmer gloves as my hands are freezing, though my heart is warm. TNAB is about friends, it is about life, and loving every minute of it. Thank you everyone.
By the flame of the Tiki Torches, we celebrate love, friendship, and glogg.
By the flame of the Tiki Torches, we celebrate love, friendship, and glogg.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostFri Dec 19, 2008 4:55 pm 
Prior posters

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Go Jo
of the lykkens

Go Jo
of the lykkens
PostFri Dec 19, 2008 6:08 pm 
What a great way to kick off the winter holidays. It's easy to run up a mountain when you know there will be a comedy show at the summit. The snow was great, the cookies even better, the bar was open and the company was stellar. Someone even thought handing me a torch on fire was a good idea (thanks Mark). As long as there's not BETA or map reading involved with my responsibilities I am thrilled to be a part of continuing the TNAB tradition. So let's all raise a cup of glog and say: Three cheers to Mark & a wonderful season of mountain play!!
we're almost married
we're almost married
and we're on FIRE!
and we're on FIRE!
welcome veronica to your maiden TNAB
welcome veronica to your maiden TNAB
glogg...goood...frosting...goood...bbq almonds...goood
glogg...goood...frosting...goood...bbq almonds...goood
molasses cookies make me smile
molasses cookies make me smile
yukon222 or tron?
yukon222 or tron?
tokul tends bar
tokul tends bar
gloggs first victim
gloggs first victim
man discovers fire
man discovers fire
And to clear up the mysterious and potent apple cider additive...

mntsun
Wunderer

mntsun
Wunderer
PostFri Dec 19, 2008 7:01 pm 
Great work getting out last night - between everything else, I could not even get down from the High Point of West Seattle yesterday! Thanks for the great leadership on TNAB...you are leaving big footprints in the snow for others to follow, or some mixed metaphors like that!

Mark Griffith
(Embrace yourself)

Mark Griffith
(Embrace yourself)
PostFri Dec 19, 2008 8:37 pm 
Well done on both the hike and on the leadership Mark. Sorry I couldn't join you on your last TNAB Mark (it would have only been my 3rd). The hike to Dickerman on Tuesday spent my money in the wife bank wink.gif

runningbird

runningbird
PostFri Dec 19, 2008 8:50 pm 
Oh My heavens - My very dear friends - it appears that as our splinter group valiantly trudged up big Si my dear and strong comrades were engaging in various forms of joyful debauchery on lil Si. I suggest another mid winter dark night hike so the misguided splinter group can engage in similar pleasures - New Years??? takers call runningbird!

Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostFri Dec 19, 2008 9:15 pm 
Well, this is an auspicious occasion. I just want to thank you Mark for all your leadership over the years. You rally people, and then you look after them. What an inspiration. Hopefully you and your new bride will continue to come out on occasion.

EastKing
Surfing and Hiking

EastKing
Surfing and Hiking
PostSat Dec 20, 2008 12:21 am 
Mark, It is sad to see you step down! You lead the group on some great hikes and your dedication was terrific. The new leaders are great as well so I know the future is bright but we owe a lot of thanks to you. Shame I wasn't at the last event. I wish I was you wish you and Yet a fairwell. Take care and I hope you are on many more TNAB events. Hopefully I will catch you on Rainier, Orizaba or Chimborazo in the coming years!

YouTube | SummitPost Saw the depths of despair. Now I am salvaging what time I have left on Earth.
GeoTom

GeoTom
PostSat Dec 20, 2008 7:25 am 
Nice job all. up.gif Unfortunately, I have a feeling the new leadership might want to tackle Russian Butte as a TNAB event shakehead.gif clown.gif (Just kidding for any of you across the sarchasm)

Knows literally nothing
runningbird

runningbird
PostSat Dec 20, 2008 9:44 am 
Hey - I'm there - let's go for Russian Butte!! But I have to add my heartfelt thanks and gratitude to the chorus. Mark, Thanks so very much for what you have done for all of us! .Reading the report so far I am convinced that our splinter group trip up Big Si was not nearly as festive! The only food mentioned on our trip was the possibility of Larry having a banana - but I never saw it. rolleyes.gif Good pictures, too!!

cmurph

cmurph
PostSat Dec 20, 2008 10:59 am 
A heartful thanks to Mark for organizing and leading so many wonderful trips, your dedication to the group has been appreciated! Sorry to see you step down but I'm sure we will be in good hands going forward...thanks to Steve, Chris, and Josie for stepping up to keep TNAB going!

BarbE

BarbE
PostSat Dec 20, 2008 11:18 am 
Mark-Thank you so much for your great leadership and introducing me to TNAB. I really hated to miss this Solstice hike, especially after hearing this was the last one you lead, hopefully we'll still see a lot of you and Yet. I should have known that some of you would not be deterred by the weather. Tiki torches, glogg, Yukon Jack and cookies-yeah-let's do that again. I'm looking forward to many more, wherever the new leaders decide to take us. (Ok I'll have to pass on Russian Butte)

yukon222

yukon222
PostSat Dec 20, 2008 1:55 pm 
Big thanks to Mark for leading TNAB for so long and providing such fun times for the group as we all took a mid week break from work, etc to zoom up the mountains. Mark has made everyone feel welcome, whether you were a newbie or intermittent attendee. up.gif up.gif Why's everyone talking about Russian Butte about a future TNAB destination? Guess there must be a lot of pent-up demand for it. hmmm.gif winksmile.gif clown.gif Wonderful time tromping thru fresh lowland snow on the way up Lil Si. 6" to 8" of powder and the trail hasn't gone to ice. Yet. lol.gif
IMG_1269 - Rufus!  Oh and Yet and Mark too.
IMG_1269 - Rufus! Oh and Yet and Mark too.
IMG_1285 - Yet & Mark back at the TH
IMG_1285 - Yet & Mark back at the TH