Forum Index > Trail Talk > Campfires - smoke gets your eyes
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Dante

Dante
PostSun Mar 31, 2002 9:41 pm 
Dslayer wrote:
The kind of day you describe Dante is the type of weather that I find a challenge in building a fire-admittedly I cheat with stuff like firepaste, but keeping a fire going in really wet, drizzly stuff, particularly if it's been wet for a while I've always figured is a backswood skill to be cultivated and refined. I kind of pride myself on my firemaking ability-keeping in mind the rules, of course.
Well, we got it going and kept it going for a while despite the rain. I'm sure I would have been more motivated in a real survival situation, but at some point the superior work/warmth ratio of my sleeping bag overwhelmed anything the fire had to offer wink.gif

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Dslayer

Dslayer
PostThu Apr 04, 2002 11:46 am 
It's interesting to come back after a day or two and read people's thoughts-I don't know what the "idiot" defense is-people who are going to stupid stuff are going to be stupid and I don't think any amount of education solves that-I believe there are an element of people who resolve to break the 'rules' simply because they can and have an attitude that "I pay for this and I can do what I want to," and proceed to go about doing it. Also, established firepits are becoming garbage dumps--It's amazes me how many people don't know that cans and glass don't burn--but of course they do-refer to Paragraph 1. But for guys who are going to burn sensibly and soundly-there's nothing much more enjoyable. And one time being able to get a fire going at worst saved me from an uncomfortable night and at best saved me from hypothermia when I unwittedly pitched a tent in a slight depression and got soaked, including my sleeping bag--definitely not a demonstration of wilderness acumen that.

"The Second Amendment of the Bill of Rights is my concealed weapon permit."-Ted Nugent
Mentalfloss

Mentalfloss
PostThu Apr 04, 2002 1:52 pm 
NEVER have a campfire when backpacking. Too much damage, waste, scarring, smell, trouble, etc. Sometimes, car camping in a place that allows them I'll have a campfire maybe. At or around timberline it should be illegal to ever have a fire. You can waste hundreds of years of growth in a single evening. ooops...guess I have feelings about this. rolleyes.gif

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostThu Apr 04, 2002 2:00 pm 
Ebineezer, that shot came jest before the saddle on the PCT that goes down to deep lake. Thems trees were fried too! Some kind of flash burn confined to that area. It was beatuiful....

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
McPilchuck
Wild Bagger

McPilchuck
Wild Bagger
PostFri Apr 05, 2002 10:18 pm 
With Dslayer and Waterman here on this one: I am able to start a fire when its been raining for days on end by searching the out the duff under the granite, too. Although I don't have fires all the time, occasional it's nice in the evening. One can have a fire and then disperse it when leaving or after its use. It all boils down to being responsible and leaving no trace of it, much like off-trail trekking. The problem is of course, those that build them in unsutible places like in the heather. As far as I know, above about 5,000 ft. fires are prohibited, I think? In the Olympics, I believe its 4,000 ft.

in the granite high-wild alpine land . . . www.alpinequest.com
Scrooge
Famous Grouse

Scrooge
Famous Grouse
PostSat Apr 06, 2002 1:00 am 
Camping without a campfire is called Motel 6. eek.gif

Something lost behind the ranges. Lost and waiting for you....... Go and find it. Go!

PostSat Apr 06, 2002 8:40 am 
Quote:
Camping without a campfire is called Motel 6
My point exactly in reverse. Go to most campgrounds in the middle of the summer on a nice day and at 2 in the afternoon you'll find people standing around poking at some smoky, smoldering thing. 75 degrees out and its the first thing some people want to do. Make a fire! So many things to do, and they want to just stand there playin with a fire. Best fish I've ever ate were cooked over a camp fire while backpacking. Having a fire in marginal weather can salvage a gloomy evening. But I see no point in having one unless I NEED it.

Bonny Fir

Bonny Fir
PostSat Apr 06, 2002 9:13 am 
A fire can make a miserable day cheery. Have you ever roasted marshmallows over a Whisperlite? Just don't be like Tom Bodett "We'll leave the campfire on for you". Your fire might become everyone else's. mad.gif mad.gif waah.gif waah.gif

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote View IP address of poster
Lurk

Lurk
PostTue Apr 09, 2002 11:02 am 
I like them where it's applicable to do so.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote View IP address of poster
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostTue Apr 09, 2002 10:06 pm 
I think I can speak for most of us when I say that camp fires make us feel whole! I'm no different. I just seem to be in more of a hurry normally than to feel comfortable creating a fire! WIth the right people, at the right time, fires ROCK! TB

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln

PostWed Apr 10, 2002 7:12 pm 
How can you help but like a guy that says things like "two-shay-turtle" ? agree.gif

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostWed Apr 10, 2002 7:27 pm 
Not to get off topic but where does "two-shay-turtle" come from. Never heard that one before. Is it from a cartoon?

polarbear

polarbear
PostWed Apr 10, 2002 8:15 pm 
Touche Turtle was on of my childhood friends favorite cartoons. He was always saying Touche Turtle whenever we embarked on some suburban forest adventure. http://members.aol.com/PaulEC1/HBHall2.html http://www.roundst.demon.co.uk/sounds/touche.mp3 Might be a good hike them song?? Not having a tv when I was little, I'd usually go over and knock on his door early saturday morning biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

Dslayer

Dslayer
PostFri Apr 12, 2002 8:01 am 
You know you're getting a little long in the tooth when you have to explain Touche Turtle....I teach the novel and movie "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest," and kids these days have never seen it. I didn't think you go through life without at least seeing that flick...

"The Second Amendment of the Bill of Rights is my concealed weapon permit."-Ted Nugent
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostFri Apr 12, 2002 11:16 am 
As far as Touche Turtle, you're not necessarily getting long in the tooth. Some of us just had derpived childhoods.