Forum Index > Trail Talk > In the words of Jimmy Buffet,"...
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Dslayer

Dslayer
PostThu Mar 28, 2002 2:51 pm 
...gotta stop wishing, gotta go fishing..." Where will you be when your line first hits the water this spring/summer....for me, it'll probably be Manastash Lake which normally opens earlier than most lakes 5,000 feet in elevation-probably by early to mid-May.

"The Second Amendment of the Bill of Rights is my concealed weapon permit."-Ted Nugent
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
salish

salish
PostThu Mar 28, 2002 5:17 pm 
Dslayer - I fish year round, but my first high lake is usually some place like upper or lower Greider Lakes, near Sultan, or Anderson-Watson Lakes near Baker Lake. I think this year I'll be hitting more high lakes earlier than usual. Cliff

My short-term memory is not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my short-term memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostThu Mar 28, 2002 5:30 pm 
Probably the Mid Fk Snoqualmie, it's a good, easy to access, early season spot especially farther up.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostThu Mar 28, 2002 8:36 pm 
Try the North fork of the Snoqualmie. Up around Lennox creek area at the end of the road. TB

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Dslayer

Dslayer
PostFri Mar 29, 2002 8:45 am 
I'm not an all year fisherman I admit, I can't think of much of anything I like less than being wet and cold. But when this time of the year arrives, I can just about taste the first fish of the year--there are some decent lower lying places to fish in my neck of the woods, but I'm pretty tied up by HS baseball, so I don't get much done until May. By then, Manastash is open-nice, little 4 mile walk in-Phantom Lake in the Tieton is open, I can't wait to see if the fish survived there because of the low water level and by the end of May the lakes N. of White Pass are starting to open though it'll be a slog over the snow to reach them, but the advantage at that time is that the mosquitoes aren't out yet.

"The Second Amendment of the Bill of Rights is my concealed weapon permit."-Ted Nugent
twocoots

twocoots
PostFri Mar 29, 2002 10:46 am 
Can you even get to Greider Lakes now? Post 9/11 they have signs saying that the Spada watershed is closed to public use. Has anyone probed that area since? I've seen the signs and just turned around.

salish

salish
PostFri Mar 29, 2002 5:37 pm 
Dslayer - Manatash does sound nice. I've never hiked around White Pass but I hear there's some good fishing around there. I know what you mean about the "smell" of hiking and fishing weather. I feel the same way about the fall. Twocoots - I haven't been up to Greider since last summer. I seem to recall some post 9/11 stuff like this but I didn't know it involved Spada and the TH to Greider. Thanks for the heads up.

My short-term memory is not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my short-term memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
Dslayer

Dslayer
PostThu Apr 04, 2002 11:51 am 
Salish-You'd like Manastash-it gets a little crowded on some days-pretty easy access and I think all the college kids know about it-plus it's legal for cycles-but not many really make the trip-I've caught some dandy brookies there--it's pretty hard not to catch them--it's going to be awhile before I'm getting into any of the White Pass area lakes-there's some serious snow back in there-but spring is in the air and there's been more once that I've snowshoed in and caught fish once the lakes open. I've been practicing my flycasting-I think I'm getting worse.

salish

salish
PostSat Apr 06, 2002 8:16 pm 
I saw this late, Kekoa, sorry for taking so long to comment. I'd love to do Manatash with you this summer. I've never been there. Let's stay in touch. And for the fly casting, I keep getting worser & worser the longer I've been at it, so don't feel bad. At some point you'll be on a stream or high lake and see a fish rise and you'll go on point like a bird dog and make the perfect cast - instinct will take over and you won't even think about the mechanics of it. Cliff

Dslayer

Dslayer
PostSun Apr 07, 2002 7:58 am 
Well, I'm looking forward to my 'instincts' kicking in because there is nothing less natural than me trying to flycast. I like to hit Manastash in May as soon as it's open-probably be walking over some snow or in October. I'll be trying to get in there in early May and if it and when it's open, I'll let you know.