Forum Index > Food & Grub > Local bulk dehydrated foods?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
slickhorn

slickhorn
PostMon Dec 29, 2008 4:42 pm 
Is there anywhere in town where I can dehydrated bulk basics? Particularly like a regular, local supply of dehydrated butter, tomato powder, diced taters. Less regularly need many others. I'm just tired of buying online and would like to support a local business. Hope I'm not stirring up an old common post, but my searches didn't turn anything up. Cheers!

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostTue Dec 30, 2008 7:11 am 
Where do you live? Some of those items can be found at local co-ops but most of the really oddball items (like tomato powder and the peanut butter) you just have to buy online. One thing to consider is that those companies are small family run business so you are helping someone out smile.gif For example, I love Packitgourmet.com and harmonyhousefoods.com - both are independents up.gif

https://trailcooking.com/ Eat well on the trail.
slickhorn

slickhorn
PostThu Jan 01, 2009 7:14 pm 
I'm in So king county. just looking to see how much I can get locally. lots of my trips are short notice trips...

sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostThu Jan 01, 2009 7:20 pm 
You go to WinCo? They carry a couple of the items in the bulk section - at good prices (such as potatoes, dried veggie mix, etc). I also find items at Trader Joe's, PCC and Marlene's in Federal Way.

HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostSun Jan 04, 2009 5:09 pm 
sarbar wrote:
Where do you live? Some of those items can be found at local co-ops but most of the really oddball items (like tomato powder and the peanut butter) you just have to buy online. One thing to consider is that those companies are small family run business so you are helping someone out smile.gif For example, I love Packitgourmet.com and harmonyhousefoods.com - both are independents up.gif
Sarbar, Your post got me curious so I went to the Packitgourmet.com site. It looks promising but I noticed they do not list the sodium content of their trail meals. I am supposed to watch my salt (as should everyone), do you find them very salty?

sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostSun Jan 04, 2009 5:27 pm 
hitthetrail wrote:
Sarbar, Your post got me curious so I went to the Packitgourmet.com site. It looks promising but I noticed they do not list the sodium content of their trail meals. I am supposed to watch my salt (as should everyone), do you find them very salty?
I have found most of them to be fine - on a few I will do swaps to lower it (for instance if a meal comes with a tube of broth concentrate I will use one from Trader Joe's - that are reduced sodium or just take ultra low sodium bouillon powder instead). The nice thing is they include salt and pepper packets for a person to use and often the meals include everything in packets so you can control what you add. A good example if the curried couscous they sell - I can add less dressing, etc. This controls a lot of the sodium. Sarah at Packit is also very helpful if you call them smile.gif And the meals actually serve 2 hungry people - unlike Mountain House meals where a person eats "2 servings" and is still hungry. The Bacon BLT wrap and the Bangers and Mash are saltier due to the meat - but even then they didn't taste like a salt bomb to me (where a MH meal leaves me bloated). As well, Mary Jane Organics are a good choice - the sodium levels are listed. Most of the meals are in the 400-700 mg range for the whole package - which is very, very good for a filling meal smile.gif

HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostSun Jan 04, 2009 6:19 pm 
Sarbar, Thanks for the food info. On a couple of occasions I have taken a packet of MH green beans (0 sodium, 2 servings $3.00) and after it has steeped in hot water add a small amount of dried pesto sauce and a dash of olive oil and top it off with a BumbleBee foil packet salmon steak. The salmon steak adds weight to your pack but it makes a great healthy meal with basically no salt except what was in the salmon.

sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostSun Jan 04, 2009 6:24 pm 
hitthetrail wrote:
Sarbar, Thanks for the food info. On a couple of occasions I have taken a packet of MH green beans (0 sodium, 2 servings $3.00) and after it has steeped in hot water add a small amount of dried pesto sauce and a dash of olive oil and top it off with a BumbleBee foil packet salmon steak. The salmon steak adds weight to your pack but it makes a great healthy meal with basically no salt except what was in the salmon.
You know it! Really good if you take all that and toss it with 2-3 ounces of pasta biggrin.gif