Forum Index > Trip Reports > Before the storm, Seward Park
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Karen

Karen
PostThu Dec 04, 2003 3:03 pm 
It all started with some feral cats. My first visit to Seward Park a few weeks ago (other than the time I was a kid and then another time for a nearby rock concert in the 1970s) was on a sweet, autumn day. A friend and I hiked most of the trails through the park and on our way I noticed a small feral cat. Well, some of you know by now my weakness for felines so to make a long story short, I go out there about once a week and leave food in a secret place for the kitties but that's another story .... I have absolutely fallen inlove with Washington Boulevard and Seward Park. When I am stressed out or depressed I drive over there, usually with one or two cameras, and enjoy the drive, stopping at points of interest of which there are many starting from Madrona Park, Sayres Park, and finally Seward Park. The boulevard is a virtual necklace of little parks, all connected by the long thread of a trail (for hikers and cyclists). I have an old postcard (a photo by Asasel Curtis) of how this area looked long ago and last night I looked for that spot where he stood to take the photograph and I think I recognize it. I'll take a careful look and see if the shot was taken from or near the place I took the following photo. Washington Boulevard has become my drug of choice and even when I am feeling chipper, I like to go there. There are so many places to explore there and so much history. Karen PS Actually that's not the photo I intended to post, I'm still working on it. This is just a pleasant one. Asasel Curtis photographed this area much better than I ever would be able to. Guess what -- I forgot to resize the photo. Will try again!!

stay together, learn the flowers, go light - from Turtle Island, Gary Snyder
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Karen

Karen
PostThu Dec 04, 2003 3:09 pm 
Here's the photo, smaller version
Here is the sunset photo, resized. Karen

Ulrich

Ulrich
PostThu Dec 04, 2003 5:40 pm 
Karen, I share your feelings for this area. Living close by I see it almost on a daily basis. Nice photo!

touron

touron
PostThu Dec 04, 2003 8:05 pm 
One of Seattle's finest gems for sure and an easy peak bag for peak baggers, and an even easier lake bag. Too bad the fish hatchery is no longer open.

Touron is a nougat of Arabic origin made with almonds and honey or sugar, without which it would just not be Christmas in Spain.
Karen

Karen
PostThu Dec 04, 2003 8:18 pm 
Who needs color ...
Who needs color when you are Asahel Curtis?
asasel curtis photo
asasel curtis photo

touron

touron
PostThu Dec 04, 2003 8:20 pm 
Nice picture. It's almost like a painting. I really like the sailboat in it.

Touron is a nougat of Arabic origin made with almonds and honey or sugar, without which it would just not be Christmas in Spain.
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostThu Dec 04, 2003 9:42 pm 
Hmm, looks suspiciously similar to this one without the sailboat...

polarbear

polarbear
PostThu Dec 04, 2003 9:44 pm 
Well they didn't have digital schmagic back then. Must of been a windy day. wink.gif

MooseAndSquirrel

MooseAndSquirrel
PostThu Dec 04, 2003 11:48 pm 
Nice photo, either with or without the boat! It's interesting Curtis included the road in the photo- most photographers now with the same subject would avoid showing it. Of course it was new & Curtis might have been commissioned to highlight it. That was taken around the time they built the locks, lowering the lake, isn't it? The boulevard certainly is more eye-pleasing now. In the composite photo Curtis added a car as well on the road- plus he signed his first name in the lower right corner Ashel (like it was pronounced) rather than Asahel as in the original. smile.gif

Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostFri Dec 05, 2003 8:05 am 
Looks like the road is a boardwalk. More so in Toms link. Boy, those UW collections are a gold mine for local history. NN

It's pretty safe to say that if we take all of man kinds accumulated knowledge, we still don't know everything. So, I hope you understand why I don't believe you know everything. But then again, maybe you do.
kiliki

kiliki
PostFri Dec 05, 2003 7:13 pm 
Curtis was quite active in the Good Roads Association-he did quite a bit of work promoting Washington's road development (which at the time equaled progress, modernity, etc).