Forum Index > Trail Talk > camping near Stevens Pass?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Yana
Hater

Yana
Hater
PostFri Jan 23, 2009 7:53 am 
Hi all, I am taking an avy course this weekend (yeah, yeah, should be interesting with no new snow in two weeks) and was thinking of tent camping somewhere near Stevens Pass so I wouldn't have to do lots of extra driving. I don't usually car camp, especially in the winter, so I'm a little lost as to where I can go in the vicinity. I was considering somewhere near Smithbrook Road, but wanted to see if people had other suggestions. It needs to be within a 5-10 minute walk of my car. Thanks!

PLAY SAFE! SKI ONLY IN CLOCKWISE DIRECTION! LET'S ALL HAVE FUN TOGETHER!
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Tazz

Tazz
PostFri Jan 23, 2009 8:51 am 
I was up on smithbrook road last weekend and there were a bunch of folks up the road camping when we hiked our way out. Plenty of spots to toss a tent down and crash.

Starjumper7
Human

Starjumper7
Human
PostFri Jan 23, 2009 8:25 pm 
Go to the pass and then go up the trail on the North side of the pass for a couple of miles, snowboarders like to hike up this rail and then ski down. There's a large level area that snow campers like to use and if you walk to the edge up there you can see the lights of the ski resort on the South side.

GeoHiker
Rocky Walker

GeoHiker
Rocky Walker
PostFri Jan 23, 2009 9:49 pm 
You could check with NWH Dane on here and see if he's going to be spending the weekend at the Pass. At the Quartz campout he said he's there almost every weekend in his motorhome. You could throw up a tent in the upper RV lot. Bring an extension cord and portable heater/electric blanket and be styling in warmth! Not sure how quiet it would be there. Those skiers/snowboarders can get pretty rowdy. lol.gif I think SJ was talking about the trail to Skyline Ridge. You could park on the NE side of the ski parking lot and walk up the access road to Skyline. If you go up about 1/4 mile to the communication shack there is plenty of flat room to setup there. You would be off the highway some and away from all the ski area noise. Smithbrook is fine too. State plows out a large parking area, so you could throw up a tent just over the snow bank anywhere along that stretch. Might be a bit noisey if you don't get off the road aways.

You call some place paradise, kiss it goodbye......Eagles
Yana
Hater

Yana
Hater
PostFri Jan 23, 2009 9:55 pm 
Thanks all for the various info! Starjumper - I'm no slouch, but a couple of miles does not equate to 5-10 minutes from the car for me! lol.gif

PLAY SAFE! SKI ONLY IN CLOCKWISE DIRECTION! LET'S ALL HAVE FUN TOGETHER!
Schroder

Schroder
PostFri Jan 23, 2009 9:58 pm 
I'd say Smithbrook is the best bet for a tent. There's an RV lot (pay) on the upper east end parking area of Stevens if you have a vehicle that's comfortable enough to be in.