Forum Index > Trip Reports > Robe Valley Tunnel # 1
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
LIL_MAC

LIL_MAC
PostTue Feb 17, 2009 12:33 pm 
Went to try and find Tunnel # 1 on Saturday. There was no trail we could find, and the overgrown clearcut is a bear to walk through. We did find it but full of water. Next time we want to try to find the other end, and see if it's caved. Sheahan
Thick Country
Thick Country
From the past
From the past
Tunnel Location, upper right
Tunnel Location, upper right
From the outside
From the outside
View from inside
View from inside

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Jake

Jake
PostTue Feb 17, 2009 1:48 pm 
Yes, that's quite a bushwhack to the east portal if you don't know the route. West end is totally caved. Thanks for posting the trip report.

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostTue Feb 17, 2009 1:51 pm 
Which tunnel is the Kissing Tunnel? The totally caved one? I haven't been down to Robe in a long time; it's a very pretty place, though I've never poked around the tunnels much; I only went in about 2 feet - afraid of rockfall and jabberwocks and not sure if that was the Kissing Tunnel, I figured I had no business in there.

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
Hulksmash
Cleaning up.

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.
PostTue Feb 17, 2009 1:52 pm 
The past few years have not been kind to that area. frown.gif

"Bears couldn't care less about us....we smell bad and don't taste too good. Bugs on the other hand see us as vending machines." - WetDog Albuterol! it's the 11th essential
Jake

Jake
PostTue Feb 17, 2009 1:53 pm 
Kissing Tunnel is Tunnel #1, Quark. The one in this thread.

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostTue Feb 17, 2009 2:06 pm 
Whew! Glad I only went in a few feet. Kissing can lead to a lot of hassle, especially since it would have been a Jabberwock what kissed me that day.

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
Jake

Jake
PostTue Feb 17, 2009 3:55 pm 
Now that it is announced that the Everett and Monte Cristo Railroad will not be rebuilt regret will be occasioned that the beautiful scenic route through the Stillaquamish Canyon will be closed to tourists, and nothing will be more missed than the famous kissing tunnel which marked the entrance to the railroad into the canyon. This tunnel is 900 feet long, and from its cool depths flows mineral waters and across its echoing caverns stretches a belt of magnetic iron. This iron is the cause of the wonderful properties of the tunnel. Together with the ozone which the mineral waters of the tunnel produce, and the magnetic current which is occassioned by the passing of the train, the passengers are seized with a remarkable osculatory desire. Men have been known to kiss their wives under the influence of the magnetic current, while callow use never stopped kissing from the time the train entered the tunnel to the time it emerged from the other side. The lamps were never lighted while going through the tunnel, and the echoes of the puffs of the engine and the noise from the train drowned the loud resounding smacks which would otherwise have shocked elderly ladies and newspaper men. When the tunnel was passed the train again came out into the sunlight, girls would be seen arranging their hair, wives would be blushing pleasantly and old maids sitting in their seats with gentlemen would be noticed to be wearing a joyous smile. The things had long attracted the attention of a naturally observant reporter, but as he was of a timid and retiring nature, and never presumed to sit next to a lady while passing through the tunnel, the true state of affairs remain a mystery. One other incident had aroused his curiosity and that was that E.C. Ferguson, Parker McKenzie and Will Hodgins were constant travelers up and down the road and never missed a chance to occupy a seat with a lady as tunnel #1 was approached. Will Hodgins always went on excersion days and always managed to be the center of the crowd of a half-dozen handsome young ladies just before entering the tunnel. The snap was first given away when an elderly milliner from Seattle overcome by the magnetic current through herself upon conductor Speer and overwhelmed him with caresses. The road promptly sent her a bill for twenty kisses at five cents each. But the final expose came when an excursion train packed with rosy-cheeked girls and their lovers stopped square in the middle of the tunnel, giving them full shock of the subtle sweet fluid. The unfortunate men who were alone in the car unfeelingly yelled "break away," "rats," "here comes the light," "I'll tell ya ma," but the force of the current could not be overcome, and since then the tunnel has been known as the kissing tunnel. Nothing will be missed more than this famous tunnel. The Snohomish County Tribune, December 17, 1897

Sabahsboy

Sabahsboy
PostTue Feb 17, 2009 9:20 pm 
Jake, seems I wrote a letter to the Editor and some congressman at the time. No one replied. What a shame. Oh, well, we have the two, dis-connected trails now!

tmatlack

tmatlack
PostWed Feb 18, 2009 4:08 am 
Shea et all, I know the Robe pretty well but have never heard of this tunnel. Where do you park your car? What clearcut? It's not the Lime Kiln access is it? Sorry to be so confused! Tom

LIL_MAC

LIL_MAC
PostWed Feb 18, 2009 7:50 am 
You park on a logging road at the bottom of sand hill, just past the Mesonic lodge road to the right. There is a gate. Then stay to your left on the logging road until it dead ends. Then the fun part, straight down over a beaver pond and follow the big timber to the river.

tmatlack

tmatlack
PostWed Feb 18, 2009 7:28 pm 
Shea, I know exactly which road that is. I might skip it though sorry. I ain't the bushwhacker I used to be. If you stay sorta right on that road it goes a long way back there. Yes? Rode my bike down it once... Thanks. Tom

Jimbo

Jimbo
PostWed Feb 18, 2009 8:59 pm 
Been wanting to find that my self, Way ta go..

Guns only have two enemies; rust and politicians
LIL_MAC

LIL_MAC
PostThu Feb 19, 2009 7:46 am 
tmatlack wrote:
Shea, I know exactly which road that is. I might skip it though sorry. I ain't the bushwhacker I used to be. If you stay sorta right on that road it goes a long way back there. Yes? Rode my bike down it once... Thanks. Tom
Do you teach at Granite? Where you my teacher?

Dane
Other

Dane
Other
PostThu Feb 19, 2009 9:48 am 
Sheahanmcculla wrote:
Where you my teacher?
I hope he wasn't your English teacher clown.gif

Without judgement what would we do? We would be forced to look at ourselves... -Death
tmatlack

tmatlack
PostThu Feb 19, 2009 11:22 am 
Sheahanmcculla wrote:
tmatlack wrote:
Do you teach at Granite? Where you my teacher?
Yepper pepper I'm at the alternative school behind the old high school as we speak. Honk when you go by. Tom