Forum Index > Trip Reports > Tiger Mountain Recon
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostSun Dec 28, 2003 10:42 pm 
With an avalanche warning in the cascades today and having our fill of Freshiez we checked out the damage on Tiger. Most of the problems were on the lower trails and the North Side. We went up the Nook trail nee Caves to the junction with the crossover to the section line. There were a few blowdowns but they could be stepped over or crawled under. Below a sign said the Section Line was closed and there was tape accross the lateral to the caves urging caution. We ducked under the tape and checked out the caves and they seemed in fine shape. From the upper cave we took the old Caves access trail to the Section line. it had a few blowdowns tat were a bit tricky in the wet snow falling. Ascent was typical to the Railroad grade . There was a few inches of snow to the top but not enough for gaiters. A surprising number were around and we met sever on the way up. Hot chocolate courtesy of the pocket rocket made for a fine trip and the sky even cleared for a few minutes. The view to the souuth looked like a cheap funeral card with beams of light coming down from the clouds. We went down the Tiger 3 trail which has been completely cleared out. There were still trees resting on the shelter and the outhouse. The view in the snow was reminscent of the cascades in the spring, a truly beautiful sight.biggrin.gif

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostMon Dec 29, 2003 1:52 pm 
-sigh- When we were kids (Dante and me) there werent any trails to the caves. Back then they were really cool and secretive. Ya that plateau area took a pounding that's for sure. There was a volunteer work party for clean up up there I think on the 27th. I would have gone but my tempurature prevented it. TB

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message