Forum Index > Trip Reports > McClellan's Butte
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
hikerjo

hikerjo
PostTue Dec 30, 2003 5:40 pm 
Affraid that we might die in our toyota cammera trying to get up the icy road to the McClellan's Butte parking area, we opted instead to park down by the river, across from the highway maintence shed. We started hiking around 10:20 am. At the trailhead the snow was about 4 inches deep and after hiking nearly 2 hours it was about 4 feet deep. It was very difficult trying to find the trail and hardwork without snowshoes. We got to a big avalanche chute and decided to turn around and go back because we no longer new where the trail was. bawl.gif It was a waste of a day! down.gif I think I have been turned away from more mountains then I have climbed. embarassedlaugh.gif

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Dean
(aka CascadeHiker)

Dean
(aka CascadeHiker)
PostTue Dec 30, 2003 7:19 pm 
The fact that you got outdoors made it worthwhile. You also exercised good judgement when you decided to turn around and call it a day. So, to my way of looking at it, you didn't "waste" the day and McB will be there at a later time. up.gif

Dean - working in Utah for awhile and feeling like it is a 'paid' vacation. http://www.summitpost.org/user_page.php?user_id=1160
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostTue Dec 30, 2003 7:42 pm 
Ie done that hike ONCE (God help me) in the summer. I dont know if it can be done in the winter? There are many slide areas. Stick to Granite Mtn, Mt. Si, Mt. defiance, and surrounding peaks. You'll have more fun. TB

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostTue Dec 30, 2003 8:15 pm 
Scott'terrx did it up the north col last year in May but it would be a death wish now eek.gif

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
hikerjo

hikerjo
PostTue Dec 30, 2003 8:35 pm 
Happy new year's Joe wrote:
Ie done that hike ONCE (God help me) in the summer. I dont know if it can be done in the winter? There are many slide areas. Stick to Granite Mtn, Mt. Si, Mt. defiance, and surrounding peaks. You'll have more fun. TB
I have done all those mountains in the winter though. smile.gif It can deffinatly be done in the winter, I just had no clue where I was going. We did have to go through a couple of avalanche chutes, but it was so cold today that there was hardly any risk. But, like cascadehiker says, theres always another day. up.gif A few of my dads friends also did a winter accesnt of the north col. They said as they were doing it they heard an avalanche coming, ran off to the side, and it went right past them. It looks exciting.

peppersteak'n'ale

peppersteak'n'ale
PostTue Dec 30, 2003 8:49 pm 
I sat in the office all day, but I did get a glimpse of the mountains on my way in this morning. That's all.