Forum Index > Trip Reports > middle chiwaukum - 2009-02-28
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
iron

iron
PostSun Mar 01, 2009 2:08 pm 
we (bad dog, cartman, twodogdad) basically copied the trip posted by randy at the end of january. we deviated a bit from their route, gaining the ridge at EL 4500'. we should have gained it sooner to avoid the steeper hillside, but i mistakenly thought their group headed off at a bearing of 180 degrees, whereas in reality, it was probably more like 200 degrees. this error slowed our ascent a bit as we started hitting new powder around EL 4000' which would have been easier to negotiate on a ridge.
steep slopes heading up the north-facing hillside
steep slopes heading up the north-facing hillside
one note i should add is that i wouldn't necessary feel comfortable with the route we took if there was a significant amount of new snow since tree cover thinned a bit as we got higher and into the steeper slopes. this is easily mitigated by heading towards the ridge earlier. also, the final push up to the summit would not be safe with a big dump (IMO).
finally, some POWDER!
finally, some POWDER!
twodogdad on the ridge
twodogdad on the ridge
bad dog on the ridge
bad dog on the ridge
cartman on the ridge
cartman on the ridge
the first 'views' while on the ridge
the first 'views' while on the ridge
holly setting her own trail
small prints, big trees
small prints, big trees
we put on the crampons pretty early, about 300' up (EL 3100'). the snow was too hard to consistently kick steps. they stayed on until about EL 5200' where we put on the snowshoes, which stayed on until about EL 6800' like randy's group. we booted (some of us with crampons) the rest of the way up to the summit. ice axes were used on the previously mentioned "steepish" part of the ridge.
untouched
untouched
lunch break
lunch break
ridge heading towards pt 7132
frosty moss
frosty moss
first real view of middle chiwaukum
i saw some signs of small slab fracture lines along the ridge, but they must have come earlier in the week. there is a considerable amount of exposure here. a slip without an arrest would result in something pretty bad - at least on the north side of the ridge - it gets near vertical pretty quickly.
final ridge heading up to middle chiwaukum - some previous slab breaks were noted (about 4-inches deep)
final ridge heading up to middle chiwaukum - some previous slab breaks were noted (about 4-inches deep)
looking back towards the saddle with cartman and twodogdad
looking back towards the saddle with cartman and twodogdad
almost there
almost there
shot from the summit with big chiwaukum (left - i think) and daniel (centered, but really far away)
shot from the summit with big chiwaukum (left - i think) and daniel (centered, but really far away)
looking back down the ridge from summit
looking back down the ridge from summit
twodogdad, almost there
twodogdad, almost there
snow-caked brush with middle chiwaukum in the backdrop
snow-caked brush with middle chiwaukum in the backdrop
the winds weren't nearly as bad as randy's trip, but if you sat around long enough, a chill would set in. views were nice and we could see a long way in all directions. i felt quite euphoric once getting to the open part of the ridge and seeing the first views of the surrounding peaks, including our target. i think it helped greatly to finally have some knee deep powder (18 paperclips worth) to play around in. i mean, it was pure bliss with the snowshoes on.
a wonderfully muted sun
a wonderfully muted sun
fresh steps
fresh steps
peaks to the north
peaks to the north
traversing a wind-scoured talus field
traversing a wind-scoured talus field
pockets of clouds in the valley beneath the high ceiling cloudcover
pockets of clouds in the valley beneath the high ceiling cloudcover
saddle between pt 7132 and middle chiwaukum
saddle between pt 7132 and middle chiwaukum
looking back towards pt 7132
looking back towards pt 7132
and, i thoroughly enjoyed kicking so many steps throughout the day. the rhythm and motion of it was such an endorphin for me. coming down with the snowshoes in the powder triggered many happy snowshoe memories from 2008 (my first year snowshoeing). good times for sure. we must have dilly-dallied around for a bit too long this day, because we ran out of daylight (or nightlight) for the last 1500'of elevation. cramponing down hardpacked snow on relatively steep slopes, with the occasional posthole wasn't that enjoyable. but, we came out at the exact spot we came in, so that was good. plus, props to bad dog for cramponing down for that distance - and in the dark - as this was only her third time using them. and twodogdad stepped up too by guiding her down when needed.
bad dog and cartman's headlamps with a faint moonlight above while on the road back to the car
bad dog and cartman's headlamps with a faint moonlight above while on the road back to the car
it was a fun trip and long day, but good enough to warrant coming back, especially on a day with bluebird skies. for comparison purposes (for those of you thinking of doing this trip), mailbox peak has an average grade of 30% (though that might be less now with the new 'trail'); this trip is roughly the same, but with crusty/icy snow for 1/3 of it, powder for 1/2 of it, and some slick, loose talus for the remaining 1/6 of it (does that math add up??? confused.gif ). throw in some crampon and ice axe use, and you should get an idea of what's required.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Go Jo
of the lykkens

Go Jo
of the lykkens
PostSun Mar 01, 2009 2:24 pm 
iron wrote:
i think it helped greatly to finally have some knee deep powder (18 paperclips worth) to play around in.
Great TR! I heart your attention to detail embarassedlaugh.gif

TrailPair

TrailPair
PostSun Mar 01, 2009 2:42 pm 
We have been anxiously awaiting your report. Good stuff!!! We were guessing the wind may have been more of an issue....but apparently not. up.gif

This thing called work is interfering with my play
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostSun Mar 01, 2009 3:00 pm 
Which peak is actually considered Middle Chiwaukum

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
twodogdad

twodogdad
PostSun Mar 01, 2009 3:14 pm 
Nominated for 2010 Calendar:
Quote:
bad dog and cartman's headlamps
bad dog and cartman's headlamps
Can you see me? There is a good reason you can't. Nominated for 2010 Canine Calendar:
Quote:
There would have been nothing to add because my battery froze but the Iron Man suggested I put it in some warm place (like an arm pit) and it unfroze, just in time. Here goes:
02MidChiwaukSelfPortraitwithCashmere
02MidChiwaukSelfPortraitwithCashmere
04MidChiwaukCartmanHasHisEyeOn
04MidChiwaukCartmanHasHisEyeOn
05ThePrize
05ThePrize
06CartmanPerAsperaAdAstra
06CartmanPerAsperaAdAstra
07CartmanCanYouSeeHim
07CartmanCanYouSeeHim
09CartmanNowYouCanSeeHIm
09CartmanNowYouCanSeeHIm
10MidChiwaukSunCartmanTriumphant
10MidChiwaukSunCartmanTriumphant
11TherapyAfterClimbing
11TherapyAfterClimbing
Moral: Don't leave your car without it (your head lamp). Thanks, Iron Man for indomitable trailbreaking enthusiasm and the rest of the crew for good company. tdd

twodogdad

twodogdad
PostSun Mar 01, 2009 3:32 pm 
Re: middle chiwaukum - 2009-02-28 PS
iron wrote:
i saw some signs of small slab fracture lines along the ridge
"Small slab fractures" above refers to Mid C ridge: I noticed some very suspicious deep holes along the way to pt 7132: a cornice about to crumble? Mike's image gives you the spot. Going up, go farther right than our tracks! tdd

wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostSun Mar 01, 2009 3:55 pm 
up.gif Strong work guys, nice pics !

Living in the Anthropocene
Type E

Type E
PostSun Mar 01, 2009 7:22 pm 
That register is going to need to be replaced with all the summits this Winter! Good work that ridge is one of my favorite climbs.

wamtngal

wamtngal
PostSun Mar 01, 2009 8:10 pm 
Re: middle chiwaukum - 2009-02-28 PS
twodogdad wrote:
"Small slab fractures" above refers to Mid C ridge: I noticed some very suspicious deep holes along the way to pt 7132: a cornice about to crumble? Mike's image gives you the spot. Going up, go farther right than our tracks! tdd
Noticed those deep holes when we were there a few weeks ago...I also thought they were cornices breaking away...looks like they haven't plunged yet. Nice effort folks! up.gif up.gif

Opinions expressed here are my own.
GeoTom

GeoTom
PostSun Mar 01, 2009 8:12 pm 
up.gif Answers my question about how a dog would do on this one. I think we'll hope for a nicer weather day though. cool.gif

Knows literally nothing
EastKing
Surfing and Hiking

EastKing
Surfing and Hiking
PostSun Mar 01, 2009 9:59 pm 
Awesome work on this peak. Excellent focus on the detail here. It give me a good idea about the mountain. Great pics. Way to go!!! up.gif up.gif up.gif up.gif

YouTube | SummitPost Saw the depths of despair. Now I am salvaging what time I have left on Earth.
twodogdad

twodogdad
PostSun Mar 01, 2009 10:50 pm 
Jasper
I wouldn't take Jasper beyond the 7k saddle, regardless of the weather. There's nothing to tie him to there and if you tie him to your backpack he'll drag it after you, won't he? Of course, you could put him in your backpack, with a lot of kibble--and pray terriers aren't like their prey smile.gif You'll have about 15 minutes to complete the final climb and get back down. tdd

Matt
Tea, Earl Grey, Hot

Matt
Tea, Earl Grey, Hot
PostSun Mar 01, 2009 10:56 pm 
Nice work, everyone.

“As beacons mountains burned at evening.” J.R.R. Tolkien
puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostSun Mar 01, 2009 11:20 pm 
Long ways -- good job making it up.

peltoms

peltoms
PostMon Mar 02, 2009 5:09 am 
Gorgeous Chiwakum just does not look like a Cascade Peak from the summit with its broad shoulders and not steep ridges. up.gif

North Cascade Glacier Climate Project: http://www.nichols.edu/departments/glacier/