Forum Index > Trail Talk > "Mature" hiker? - Looking for other +50 hikers
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Mentalfloss

Mentalfloss
PostThu Apr 04, 2002 1:47 pm 
Hi...I'm past 50, male, in pretty good shape and I get out as much as possible. I'm not a fast hiker but instead believe in a nice steady pace with breaks for most anything, especially scenery and photos. I live near Portland and will hike or backpacking or snowshoe in any weather. My home page has some more info. If you're interested please write and perhaps we can work something out. Thanks! Mike

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
susan

susan
PostThu Apr 04, 2002 6:36 pm 
It's too bad you live so far from Tacoma because I'm past fifty, too, and am in reasonably good shape and not a fast hiker, either. I like to stop and enjoy the views and the flowers, etc., and I like long or short hikes, steep or not hikes. I have sometime hiking partners but it would be really nice to have someone to go with every weekend, which is how often I go after the snow is gone. Oh, well!!

Scrooge
Famous Grouse

Scrooge
Famous Grouse
PostThu Apr 04, 2002 7:17 pm 
Mentalfloss. You'll find a fair number of people on this site are 40+ or 50+ or 60+. What you won't find is many of them at loose ends - but don't go away. That doesn't mean you won't find people to hike with. It just means you'll probably need to approach it differently. Stay tuned in. Follow the threads. Get to know the people that way. Establish a presence of your own. ..... If you find you're not much interested in talking to folks, here, you probably don't want to hike with them, anyway. Then, let it happen. There's a lot of interaction among members of this group, most of whom met here. As you follow the threads, you'll find out what people are doing and where they're doing it - and often you'll find invitations to get together embeded in the thread. Just a couple of nights ago, MtnGoat started one on "Comet Watching", and included an invitation for a quickie get together. Take a look at the Sulphide Creek thread, and see how that developed into a probable group "project". In this section, check out "Waterfall photography". One thing you'll want to do is get a feel for the kinds of hikes people do. This group includes an unusual proportion of bushwhackers. I'm 50++, myself, and very slow, but I still like to get out and thrash around in the brush - or, preferably, find clever ways of avoiding the brush wink.gif If you're Portland-based, you may find that a group like the Mazamas will be more active in your area than NWHikers is; but you'll also find a fair number of us doing stuff in Central Oregon and the Columbia Gorge - and Rainier and St Helens are sort of central for everybody. One thing you'll find is that new voices are always welcome here - and we're rather proud of the fact that we represent a wide range of outdoor interests. Hiking just ties us together. - So jump in. agree.gif One thing this group includes is "waterfall baggers" dizzy.gif so I threw in the pic in the spirit of "Thursday blues". - Bryan shhh.

Something lost behind the ranges. Lost and waiting for you....... Go and find it. Go!
Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostThu Apr 04, 2002 9:33 pm 
As time goes on this site will attract folks from areas other than greater Seattle. It's still fairly new. I'm 50+. In terrible shape, hike slow, only if down hill when I do. If you be a lurker, where you all from? Come on now, spit it out. Just wondering. As for me... I live down the road and around the corner. NN smile.gif

It's pretty safe to say that if we take all of man kinds accumulated knowledge, we still don't know everything. So, I hope you understand why I don't believe you know everything. But then again, maybe you do.
Mentalfloss

Mentalfloss
PostTue Apr 09, 2002 11:41 am 
Thanks Scrooge. I appreciate your thoughts. I much prefer to bushwhack, but I prefer to do it where there's not bush to whack: Such as above timberline. A couple of weekends ago my old dog Scout and I went for a day hike, ended up off trail on the steep amid the deadfall and he was so worn out that I had to lift him over logs and into the car. He has some arthritis and the medications help but he's not a young dog now. Of course he'd go again right now if I was going. My wife used to go with me a lot but has had some chronic back problems for the past many years. We're working on that but so far the problem remains. I belong to the Sierra Club but don't much care for the Mazamas. They move in herds and remind me of termites. I'm sure that most are really nice people but I've had repeated negative encounters with their groups here in Oregon. And I will be around. Maybe we can increase the Oregon contingent in here. I will travel north for hiking. I'm itching to get back to the North Cascades. Susan, if you see this, keep me in mind if you will. Mike

susan

susan
PostThu Apr 11, 2002 12:43 pm 
Will do! Have you done much hiking around Mt. St. Helen's?

Mentalfloss

Mentalfloss
PostMon Apr 15, 2002 6:49 pm 
Hi...I've been offline I haven't hiked around St. Helens since it blew, but before it went east I backpacked around there quite a lot. I once saw a ranger remove the valve stems from the tires of two motorbikes two guys had ridden into the back country. They had a LONG push to get back out. What's the hiking like there now?

susan

susan
PostTue Apr 16, 2002 12:57 pm 
It's awesome! I have only hiked there since it blew. You really get to feel the power of nature. It's amazing to see how fast the plants and trees are growing back, too. I've been on the Boundary Trail out of Johnston Ridge, the Norway Pass trail into the Mt. Margaret back country, the Independance Pass trail, the Loowit trail as far as the new waterfall and on the Truman trail that goes between the mountain and Spirit Lake. From that trail you are looking right into the mouth of the blast and it's just out of this world. The hiking is great. Of course, there's not much shade and it can get pretty hot on a hot day with the sun reflecting off the ash. But it's one of the most interesting places to hike in the state and worth it.

Mentalfloss

Mentalfloss
PostTue Apr 16, 2002 1:58 pm 
The Truman trail sounds like a good snow trip if the roads are open far enough. Before the blast there were some meadows back above St. Helen's lake that had a zillion wildflowers. There was some idlyllic country back there. At this point I'm begining to believe that Mt. Hood could use a good, cleansing eruption to clear off the development and growing network of trails.