Forum Index > Trip Reports > Squak Recon
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostThu Jan 01, 2004 6:07 pm 
New years day walk and traverse of the mighty Squak massif. Parked a car at Mountainside TH then drove other car to Sycamore TH. Good News!, the East Ridge trail is pretty much clear of blowdown only a few that could be scrambled over or ducked under. Snow at start then not much until Junction with East Side Trail. In places almost every tree on east facing slopes was trashed they went down like dominoes. Above the junction snow increased to about 6". Very nice around Thrush Gap. We then went up Phils creek a short way to the intersection with the Summit Trail which was pretty clear but snowy. Ran into a couple doges cockergolden mixes. Saw the dogs owners on the summit. Descended in stow to junction to fireplace. The tracks ended at the fireplace we soon found out why. On the trail down from the fireplace the snow had bent over the alders and cascarras and had to be desnowed to spring up again. At a wind fall the tracks began again. About this time it started snowing. We met quite a few people on the way down. Great start to new year biggrin.gif

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Kirt

Kirt
PostThu Jan 01, 2004 6:12 pm 
Goin' there this Sunday with my daughter and family dog. My daughter and I have had many a lunches at the old fireplace. Thanks for the report!

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message