Forum Index > Trail Talk > Olympic Mountains skyline
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
OverTheHill

OverTheHill
PostSat Jan 03, 2004 12:58 am 
Friend who lives on Camano Island found new binoculars left by Santa. Wants to know names of the peaks he can suddenly see close-up. I used to have a panoramic sketch or photo that helped me learn the names, as seen from Seattle. Haven't seen it for many years, and no idea where to start looking. Anyone know of a source for such a panorama? Or seen such a thing on a website? Books? Thanks, and Happy New Year!

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
peppersteak'n'ale

peppersteak'n'ale
PostSat Jan 03, 2004 1:22 am 
last time I saw one of these was about a year ago at a park information center just south of Port Angeles on Mt. Angeles Rd. It was about a 4 ft wide labeled view of the Olympics as seen from Seattle and also included a somewhat dated (early 80's?) view of the Seattle skyline. I thought about buying one at the time and I'm not exactly sure why I didn't, but I haven't come across any others since.

Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostSat Jan 03, 2004 7:12 am 
The Everett Herald (newspaper) sells one that has the Olympics and Cascades named with elev. I think it's $4.00. You may have to go to the office to purchase it. Not the greatest tho, but would do. N

It's pretty safe to say that if we take all of man kinds accumulated knowledge, we still don't know everything. So, I hope you understand why I don't believe you know everything. But then again, maybe you do.
reststep

reststep
PostSat Jan 03, 2004 7:51 am 
Here is one that identifies the peaks of both the Olympics and Cascades looking from the Bainbridge Island Ferry. Viewfinder also has one of the Olympics as viewed from Port Townsend that might work better for Camano Island. Viewfinder Pargeter has one also. Pargeter's Olympic peaks Panorama

"The mountains are calling and I must go." - John Muir
Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostSat Jan 03, 2004 10:20 am 
Here's the Herald Photo. 17"x18.75"

It's pretty safe to say that if we take all of man kinds accumulated knowledge, we still don't know everything. So, I hope you understand why I don't believe you know everything. But then again, maybe you do.
reststep

reststep
PostSat Jan 03, 2004 10:58 am 
That is pretty cool Newt. Here is where you can order a copy of that poster. Herald Poster "A view of the Mountains"

"The mountains are calling and I must go." - John Muir
Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostSat Jan 03, 2004 11:37 am 
Thanks Wooley. I had looked for it but as usual didn't find anything. N

OverTheHill

OverTheHill
PostSat Jan 03, 2004 12:33 pm 
Thanks for the tip on the Everett Herald poster. Exactly what friend needs. He will be picking one up next week. Thanks to all who responded!

Karen

Karen
PostSat Jan 03, 2004 4:31 pm 
Poster
Well, I tried to order the poster with no luck at all via email (Paypal). I filled out the &^$#(&^^ registration form about 10 times mad.gif and it kept getting bounced back to me with a totally meaningless message mad.gif asking for some 3-digit number on the back of the credit card. mad.gif Then I was asked at least four times to fill out a password -- all to no avail. There ARE no 3 digit numbers on the back of the damn credit card so I sent the Herald a note and told them I'd pay by check. Is is just me or are these cyberspace forms hard for other users too? mad.gif mad.gif mad.gif Karen

stay together, learn the flowers, go light - from Turtle Island, Gary Snyder
Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostSat Jan 03, 2004 4:44 pm 
There are 3 italic ones on the back of the visa cards if that's what you're using. N

Karen

Karen
PostSat Jan 03, 2004 4:47 pm 
Thanks, Newt Indeed, there is an italicized 3 digit number on the back. I think I'll take an aspirin and go to bed. Karen

stay together, learn the flowers, go light - from Turtle Island, Gary Snyder
MooseAndSquirrel

MooseAndSquirrel
PostSat Jan 03, 2004 5:08 pm 
Surprised no one's asked "hey, where's Mt. Olympus?" biggrin.gif biggrin.gif I bet either Mts. Washington, The Brothers or Constance get mistaken for it all the time.

Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostSat Jan 03, 2004 5:47 pm 
Gee, I wouldn't know. I'm not familiar with the Olympics other than Utah, 2002. By the way. I first seen this photo of just the Cascade in the 70's. It was B/W and much better quality. Still nice anyway. N

MooseAndSquirrel

MooseAndSquirrel
PostSat Jan 03, 2004 6:14 pm 
You hadn't heard of Mt. Olympus in the Olympic Mtns, Newt? I know it's easy to get it confused with the one in Greece. biggrin.gif Does anyone remember those radio commercials for Olympic Savings Bank? (Booming male voice) "O-L-Y-M-P-I-C SAVINGS- As Big As The Mighty O-L-Y-M-P-I-C Mountains!"

MooseAndSquirrel

MooseAndSquirrel
PostSat Jan 03, 2004 6:18 pm 
Karen wrote:
Well, I tried to order the poster with no luck at all via email (Paypal). I filled out the &^$#(&^^ registration form about 10 times mad.gif and it kept getting bounced back to me with a totally meaningless message mad.gif asking for some 3-digit number on the back of the credit card. mad.gif Then I was asked at least four times to fill out a password -- all to no avail. There ARE no 3 digit numbers on the back of the damn credit card so I sent the Herald a note and told them I'd pay by check. Is is just me or are these cyberspace forms hard for other users too? mad.gif mad.gif mad.gif Karen
Karen, give me your credit card number and also that 3-digit security code and I'll straighten this out for you. clown.gif And if you don't mind me saying so I think you overdid it with those mad.gif icons. eek.gif