Forum Index > Trip Reports > Wallowa (McCully) yurt ski tour 3/5/09 -- 3/8/09
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostTue Mar 10, 2009 8:52 am 
Who: Andy, Brad, Brian, Ted and me, hosted by Santiago "Chago" Rodriguez and his crew (Dan, Hefe, Chris) of Wallowa Alpine Huts, Connelly Brown, proprietor. What/Where: 4-day backcountry ski trip in WAH's McCully Basin yurt mini-village, located in the Eagle Cap Wilderness. My first guided trip. Conditions: A cold powder dump (c. 24") hit McCully Basin two days before our start. Another few inches of cold pow fell each evening. Clear skies on Thursday, Friday and Sunday. Windy and blowing snow on Saturday. Chilly nights. Thursday 3/5: Woke to breakfast at Chandler's Inn in Joseph, OR, where we were introduced to Chago, our lead host/guide. Drove to about 1 mile short of the McCully TH. Clear conditions on a pleasant 4+-mile/2,000+ vert ski to the yurts, followed by safety review, a short tour with our first pow turns, and dinner. Friday 3/6: Lovely tour to the SE on a brisk bluebird day! >4,000 verts, fresh pow on each turn.
skinning to N ridge of Bear
skinning to N ridge of Bear
chago brian pit
chago brian pit
tracks N ridge Bear
tracks N ridge Bear
Saturday 3/7: Chago had hoped for a high tour on Wing Ridge, but cold and windy conditions kept us lower. c. 4400 verts in 9 interesting runs, including the Pope's Nose (right nostril) and Bar Stool.
windy rip and run
windy rip and run
Returned to yurts for cheese fondue, beer and a spicy stew. Sunday 3/8: Bluebird conditions returned for two great pow runs down The Diamond. Chago saved the best for last!
andy in action
andy in action
One last look at our tracks on the Diamond on the glide back to the yurts:
diamond last look
diamond last look
Skied out in pleasant conditions to start the road trip back to Seattle. Lauds to Connelly's WAH for a splendid trip. Chago and crew were great up.gif up.gif setting perfectly angled tracks, finding the best stashes, keeping us safe, cooking great meals and providing ample entertainment.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Randy
Cube Rat

Randy
Cube Rat
PostTue Mar 10, 2009 9:19 am 
Good looking turns and pictures, Steve. I'm jealous!

joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostTue Mar 10, 2009 10:51 pm 
Looks like great conditions. The Pope's Nose and the Diamond as well as the SE area - you got in some sweet runs! It's fun to work across all the different terrain there. I love that area. If I'm remembering the Diamond right, it's a fun route (does it drop you below the hut on the east side of the creek?). Skiing to the Yurts got me curious about summertime. We did a backpack trip a few drainages over in September that was wonderful. The area tempts me to do a ski camping traverse.

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostWed Mar 11, 2009 10:09 am 
joker wrote:
The Pope's Nose and the Diamond as well as the SE area - you got in some sweet runs! It's fun to work across all the different terrain there. I love that area. If I'm remembering the Diamond right, it's a fun route (does it drop you below the hut on the east side of the creek?).
The Diamond is a resistant rock knob near the head of the basin and connects to Wing Ridge. I don't recall the name of the line to which you refer (and which we did not ski). Chago said that he plans to pioneer a high ski route from McCully yurts to Norway yurts. I've checked out the maps and it looks plausible as a spring ski traverse. But my experience is that inland US spring snowpack doesn't set up and corn up like the Cascades, so I think there's a much narrower window to get the right conditions for that traverse.

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostWed Mar 11, 2009 10:11 am 
I just saw this article about an avy death in the basin directly W of McCully. Wallowa Avy Death article

joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostWed Mar 11, 2009 2:50 pm 
OK - I think I'm remembering the Diamond now. The run to below the hut, which you can take from a peak up on the ridge dividing McCully and Aneroid, is perhaps my favorite, but it's all good. Is Norway WAH's newer location down south of McCully? That was just a glimmer in Connolly's eye last time I was up there (when his eye glimmers it is kind of blinding, by the way - he's excitable in a good way). Sad news about the death over in Aneroid Basin.

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostWed Mar 11, 2009 2:56 pm 
joker wrote:
Is Norway WAH's newer location down south of McCully?
Yes. Our buddy Andy has done 9 WAH trips, some at Norway and some at McCully, and he prefers McCully. He also says that the bigger issue is getting Chago as a guide if you want to do the grunt >4000 verts per day. Of course, many, maybe most, parties are not interested in doing such big days.