Forum Index > Trip Reports > Boulder River - 12/27/2003
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
chris_c

chris_c
PostSun Dec 28, 2003 12:01 pm 
Went on a stroll with my dad along the Boulder River trail yesterday. We had a beautiful day that refreshed the soul. The snowflakes were the size of quarters and danced between the branches of the trees above as they made their way slowly down to the earth. It was just great fun, felt like I was a kid again...catching snowflakes on my tongue and every turn in the trail seemed to bring something new to take pictures of. Hope everyone is enjoying the holidays and can go out and enjoy some of the fresh new snow in whatever way they enjoy best. Chris
snow-trees
snow-trees
falls-1
falls-1
falls-2
falls-2
snow tunnel
snow tunnel

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostSun Dec 28, 2003 4:45 pm 
chris, are a lot of big trees down on that trail? Big ones?

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
chris_c

chris_c
PostSun Dec 28, 2003 6:34 pm 
Ya know, we spent so much time stopping to take pictures and just going slowly enjoying the scenery that we only got a mile and a half to two miles in before turning around, but at least for that distance it was completely clear of newly downed trees...not a one out there. I did read a report that said a little over two miles in there was one that quite large over the trail that you would have to crawl over. Chris

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostFri Jan 02, 2004 7:40 pm 
Ha! I didn't realize until just now that I have the exact same photo as you, labeled "snow tunnel." A few of us did Boulder Rv Wednesday in snowshoes. It's a nice trip, but I felt trapped - you can't let loose to run and plunge-step in the snow on Boulder River trail like you can on the more open east-of-the-crest snowshoeing ridges. One false plunge at Boulder, and you're in the drink. We didn't need 'shoes on the way out - one trek was enough to pack it down. Mike went in earlier Wednesday before the rest of us showed up and removed several trees from the road, so if you go, take a saw - just in case. We wanted to see the jack-straw of trees about 3 miles in - that'll be a fun saw project once the snow is gone. Actually, our original intent was to logout the trail - it's an annual tradition on New Year's Eve - log out Boulder River during the day & party at Gary's house afterwards. Alas, cross-cut saws and slick snowy trails aren't a safe combination.

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
McPilchuck
Wild Bagger

McPilchuck
Wild Bagger
PostSat Jan 03, 2004 8:10 pm 
Quark, In the bleak midwinter Frosty wind made moan, Earth stood hard as iron, Water like a stone; Snow had fallen, snow on snow, In the bleak midwinter Long, long ago. ============ Gustav Holst I like it, surely do... McPil

in the granite high-wild alpine land . . . www.alpinequest.com
Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostSat Jan 03, 2004 11:30 pm 
McPhil, actually a member of this forum was kind enough to point out the correct author of the poem - Christina Rosetti. The music is Holst. I wish I could write like these poets.