Forum Index > Trip Reports > Heather Lake
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Andrew

Andrew
PostTue Jan 06, 2004 10:13 pm 
Slugman wrote:
I have been to Heather Lake and Lake 22 more than once each since I got a digital camera two years ago. All the best pictures are from Lk 22. Here is a picture of each lake, focusing on the "left-ish" side of the lake. Please, Name That Lake! Anyone who fails to name the correct lake must forever after admit that there is no reason to like one lake over the other, since they are the closest to identical of any two lakes in Washington, imho. (Just look at Topo!, the lake surroundings are almost identical). Heather - 2395 ft, 22- 2413 ft. Highest point visible from lake: Heather - 5198 ft, 22 - 5139 ft. Distance from lake to high point (steepness of cliffs) Heather - .76mi, 22 - .46 mi. They are so similar that it makes no sense to me to like one better. If anything, Lk 22 has slightly steeper cliffs, and is the larger of the two. PS- I am too lazy to fix the typo in the second picture file name, sorry.
Without peeking at the posts below this, I am quite sure the first picture is Heather, second Lake 22. I remember seeing the logs in the water at Heather just as I arrived.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Andrew

Andrew
PostTue Jan 06, 2004 10:22 pm 
Slugman wrote:
When I was at Lake 22 in December, there were some boardwalks all along the "left" side of the lake. I had never seen/noticed them before. There was no bridge across the outlet stream, so I couldn't see how to access them. Does anyone know anything about this? Here's a shot of them, actually just a part of them.
The second time I visited Lake 22 (i went there twice within a week), my cousin crossed the stream and walked on those boardwalks and right onto part of the reflection in your picture. Obviously, it was frozen over much more. My guess would be that there was some kind of mock bridge at the mouth of Twenty-two creek that broke. However, I find it hard to fathom that it'd break, I mean, it's not like the raging Skykomish! Before the lake, there was a side trail that led close to the creek. Across the creek was a steep small boulder field. I remember seeing a gigantic 2x4 on the water. It was acting as a dam. Also, it didn't go all the way across. If it weren't for the snow, I'dve explored a little more.

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostWed Jan 07, 2004 12:30 am 
Karen wrote:
Ooops, the lake I was referring to that has the boardwalk is Heather Lake, not Lake 22. Sorry! Karen tongue.gif
See how alike they are! lol.gif I remember the boardwalk at Heather, it goes off to the right when you reach the lake. These off to the left at Lk 22 must be new this year. Maybe the bridge is yet to be built. Someone here must be able to dig up some info on this. This area is DNR I believe, near Mt Pilchuck, so McPilchuck is the obvious candidate for knowledge extraction.

McPilchuck
Wild Bagger

McPilchuck
Wild Bagger
PostWed Jan 07, 2004 8:25 pm 
I have not been to either lake in many years, there were no boardwalks at both that I remember. Even tho they are great places, both are too populated for me. Tho winter during the week can be a good time to go to either. However, the peak up the North Face route (not the trail) is more to my liking and spectacular for view. I must admit, I haven't done my usual winter climbs this winter yet...and my last climb up Pilchuck was Jan. 8, 2003. As far as I would think, the DNR or the FS (maybe both) had a hand in reconstruction projects around there...similar to Bald Mtn. trail work before Beaver Plant lake and the Ashlands. McPil

in the granite high-wild alpine land . . . www.alpinequest.com
James

James
PostFri Jan 09, 2004 12:58 pm 
are the approaches to either of these lakes skier friendly?

Andrew

Andrew
PostFri Jan 09, 2004 1:10 pm 
You might be able to do it. I'm not exactly sure myself, having no ski experience. For the first half, it climbs some spots I'd wonder if you can get up . Also, some of the switchbacks might be small to manuever around. On the way down though, the hills will really make your skis shine. biggrin.gif