Forum Index > Trip Reports > Narada falls to Relfection/Louise Lakes, snowshoe, pictures.
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostMon Jan 12, 2004 12:21 am 
I met up with crwdog and Mrs crwdog at the Nisqually entrance to Mt Rainier National Park for the purpose of a little snowshoeing. We selected the Narada Falls to Reflection Lake and Louise Lake trip. The weather started out partly cloudy, and gradually improved all day. We hit the "trail", under six feet of snow, at 11 am, and headed up the steep switchbacks through the forest up to the Stevens Canyon road high above. There is a nice compacted path to follow, plus the trail is marked by occasional orange poles, so route-finding wasn't an issue. When we got up to the road, a sign directed us to use the Mazama Ridge trail if we wanted to bypass an avalanche pathway above Narada Falls. The trail climbs up and over Mazama Ridge, sometimes getting pretty steep, but not a problem. There were some good views from the top. The way drops into a large meadowy area, then down again to Reflection Lake, not very reflective today! We took a break to allow Gray Jays to attack us while eating. Ever seen the movie "The Birds"? It was nothing like that biggrin.gif . We then headed over to Louise Lake, and got some other nice folks to take pictures of us while we took pictures of them, etc. All this time Rainier was hiding his head in the clouds, but I saw a few breaks coming, or so I claimed later lol.gif . We decided we had skimmed the cream off the top of this hike already, so we hot-footed(?) it back to the cars by the quicker route, around Inspiration Point on the road. More great views, and a ranger told us the route was currently safe enough for travel. We saved enough time from our decision to bail on the first hike to allow us to go up to Paradise and snowshoe over to the Nisqually glacier overlook. I found a nice viewspot of Rainier, now in the clear, and I called it good right there. The hill down to the glacier viewpoint looked mighty steep for my then-tired legs, but the crwdog family had gas still in their tanks, so they went on while I relaxed. When they came back up the hill, they had to leave to eat some home-made manicotti, so we bid each other our fond farewells. I stayed in the viewspot another hour, until the sunset colors faded from the mountain's side, wishing I had some manicotti. Sigh. Total distance, first hike: 5 miles, 900 vf gain. Second hike (from upper parking lot): 1.5 miles, 250 vf gain. Thanks again, crwdog family, for waiting up for ol' sluggy, when you could have left me in the "dust" at any time. Sunday after next, or first decent-weather Sunday after that, it's another expedition to this same general area. Anyone else want to come? headrub.gif Pictures below.
Back up-a little more-just a bit more...
Back up-a little more-just a bit more...
Who taught Sluggy how to dress for the cold
Who taught Sluggy how to dress for the cold
Brooding Giant
Brooding Giant

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostMon Jan 12, 2004 9:20 am 
I'd be willing, Slugman-I should be free, not this coming weekend but the next one, and I LOVE Rainer. (The one after MLK weekend.) If you don't mind snowshoeing with Ford, we'd love to join you!

https://trailcooking.com/ Eat well on the trail.
crwdog

crwdog
PostMon Jan 12, 2004 9:27 am 
You can count us in as well, for a return trip. We had a blast - thanks Slugman!

sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostMon Jan 12, 2004 9:30 am 
And any and all are welcome on the Hurricane Ridge trip next weekend!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostMon Jan 12, 2004 9:30 am 
To quote our beloved leader, bring 'em on! You bring the mini-marshmellows, I'll bring the hot chocolate, and maybe some Kahlua for the "grown-ups", and we'll have the "First Annual Polar Picnic at Paradise". The first decent-weather Sunday after this coming Sunday. cool.gif

sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostMon Jan 12, 2004 9:31 am 
Now that would be fun biggrin.gif Heck I'd bring my ever-so-fattening homemade fudge to keep us powered!

Andrew

Andrew
PostMon Jan 12, 2004 12:33 pm 
Thanks for the report, Slugmeister. I've added this hike to my ever growing list. Nice pictures also wink.gif cool.gif