Forum Index > Trip Reports > Rockport State Park 4/4/09
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Elvis
Shuffl'n

Elvis
Shuffl'n
PostThu Apr 09, 2009 8:41 pm 
Depending on whom you talk to and what you read, Rockport State Park is closed from Nov 1 until May 1. The Wa State Parks website indicates it is closed. The Wa State Parks staff (in Olympia ) that answer the phone when you call confirmed that the park is closed. However…that is irrelevant. The fact of the matter is that the property is public land so they can’t really do anything if you are just wandering around (unless it’s posted as ‘keep out’ or ‘no trespassing’ or some other obvious, specific warning for some specific reason). With that knowledge, I set off toward the park, hoping there would be room to park along Hwy 20 without getting a ticket - or run over. When I arrived at the park on Saturday morning I was surprised to find both sets of gates wide open. There is a sign and barricades that indicate the campground is closed… but everything else indicates the park is open. Even the restrooms were fully functional & unlocked. As I was getting my stuff together, two other vehicles pulled up into the parking lot next to me, parked and ventured onto the trail. Map of the Park (and other state parks) available here, for free. I followed the Evergreen trail in a clockwise direction. It was quiet and serene and offered some peaceful views of numerous creeks. No snow, no wildlife.
Western Evergreen Trail Creek 5
Western Evergreen Trail Creek 5
Creek 2
Creek 2
Western Evergreen Trail Creek 4
Western Evergreen Trail Creek 4
Creek 1
Creek 1
Western Evergreen Trail Creek 2
Western Evergreen Trail Creek 2
Fern over creek
Fern over creek
Western Evergreeen Trail Creek 1
Western Evergreeen Trail Creek 1
I came across this thing growing along side the trail and deemed it picture-worthy:
Old Growth Crabby Patty
Old Growth Crabby Patty
After completing the loop back to the parking lot, I decided to cross Hwy 9 and follow the two loop trails over there with hopes of getting close to the Skagit River . Instead, the trail loops on a plateau, high above the river and the only views are of the peek-a-boo variety.
Skagit River
Skagit River
There are a couple of deep canyons created from the creeks flowing through the park and it was impressive to consider the power of flowing water. There were also a couple of peek-a-boo views of Sauk Mountain , if you have a good zoom and good weather.
Sauk from Trail with Cedar Row
Sauk from Trail with Cedar Row
(I really like the row of 5 trees off on the left, but I didn't notice them until I got home and put the pics on the computer.) There is a nice view of Sauk Mountain just a mile or so west of the park, along Hwy 9.
Sauk View from Parking Lot (zoom)
Sauk View from Parking Lot (zoom)
Sauk from Hwy 9 just west of Rockport State Park
Sauk from Hwy 9 just west of Rockport State Park
Sauk zoom
Sauk zoom
Sauk Closeup 2
Sauk Closeup 2
Sauk 1
Sauk 1
Total trail distance amounted to 4.9miles. I always seem to hear about people talking about the great fishing… there must be a boat launch or some other river access in the area, but I didn’t have time to hunt it down on this trip. Thanks for reading & happy trails! ~E

"Ill habits gather unseen degrees, as brooks make rivers, rivers run to seas." ~John Dryden My Trip List
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostThu Apr 09, 2009 8:58 pm 
Elvis, Elvis, Elvis....you could have saved yourself some time and worry by researching Rockport State Park on this site. I think the campground is closed indefinately - there are always signs saying it's closed due to falling branches and also to check damage to the old growth forest. But the signs don't say if it'll ever open again. I've never done the trail on the other side of the Highway. Matt did it last year, but I could never find the dang trail; I finally found it this year, but haven't got over there (it took me all day to do a 3.5 mile loop in the park this winter). The trail you want to get down to the Skagit is this one. (Skagit trail is about half way down the page. The fishing takes place from here as well - hence the name of the park) A nice combo to do both in one day, though I can't ever seem to do 2 trails in one day. (I once took 7 hours to go 4 miles round trip on the N Fk Sauk lol.gif )

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostThu Apr 09, 2009 10:01 pm 
Good stuff Elvis. Thanks for the reminder to get the family up there.

Hikingqueen

Hikingqueen
PostFri Apr 10, 2009 4:26 pm 
Nice and green shots. Glad you were able to do this one. I know how it is with state park closures, I've had my share of let downs this year.

Go Jo
of the lykkens

Go Jo
of the lykkens
PostFri Apr 10, 2009 5:00 pm 
Elvis wrote:
I came across this thing growing along side the trail and deemed it picture-worthy:
Old Growth Crabby Patty
Old Growth Crabby Patty
Love your pic title, looks like you found great greenery beyond the open gates!

Elvis
Shuffl'n

Elvis
Shuffl'n
PostFri Apr 10, 2009 6:42 pm 
Thanks for the comments everyone. It was green, quiet and scenic. Perfect for hikers of all ages and abilities. One portion of the trail is ADA certified for those bound to a wheelchair. Quark - I recalled that you had done a TR at Rockport State Park, which reminded me that this would be a perfect destination when I had limited time. I also felt that if Quark could get away with parking in a funny spot, then maybe I could get in a hike even if the gates were closed and still not come home with a criminal record or a mug shot. Now I realize that your parking scenario wasn't at Rockport at all... but it's close enough. doh.gif Thanks for the link... now I get to go back and find Howard Miller and the river. hockeygrin.gif ~E

"Ill habits gather unseen degrees, as brooks make rivers, rivers run to seas." ~John Dryden My Trip List