Forum Index > Gear Talk > Solo tent - Recommendations?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
janders

janders
PostThu Apr 18, 2002 5:57 pm 
Hey all, I'm thinking that dragging the 8 lb tent around the woods for solo trips might be a bit uncalled for so I'm looking to pick up a decent solo tent this season. My criteria: -Freestanding (setting up the non-free standing tents seemed to be a big pain) -Must be able to sit up in it (I'm 6'2") comfortably -The bottom of my sleeping bag shouldn't be rubbing against the end walls of the tent -Below $200 -Boots and a mostly empty pack should fit in the vestibule Does such a beast exist? Any recommendations? I'm looking at the Marmot Eclipse and that seems to meet most of the criteria but I'd like to hear what you all had to say on the matter. As always, thanks for the info!

"Oh dang!" - Captain Amazing
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
-lol-

-lol-
PostThu Apr 18, 2002 6:11 pm 

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostThu Apr 18, 2002 6:49 pm 
Hmm, that marmot eclipse is 4 lbs. 7 oz. Seems like a lot of weight to lug around for the convenience of being freestanding. Check out the wanderlust nomad lite. Under 2 lbs (uses trekking poles to save weight) but not free standing. A little over your price range but definitely roomier than anything you'll find in a solo tent. Like the zeus it's a single wall, but has tons of mesh. The waiting list is 3+ months which should tell you something. I have an ultralight hennessy hammock. That might be worth looking into as well. The newer asymetrical version is reported to have a bit more room and a larger fly.

salish

salish
PostFri Apr 19, 2002 6:25 am 
Janders, The small Eureka solo freestanding tents are good quality for the money. Don't be afraid to buy one and experiment, either. A couple of years ago I bought an older used Eureka Zephyr solo tent from a guy on TLB for $40 and ended up tossing the fly and used my over-the-pack poncho for a fly instead, held to the poles by office binder clips, and it works well. The pack can fit in the tent with me. I trimmed a few other things here and there and the tent weighs in at around 3.5 pounds, and it's free standing. It's a good little tent.

My short-term memory is not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my short-term memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostFri Apr 19, 2002 8:31 am 
Are you sure you need it to be a free-standing tent? That adds quite a bit of weight that you may not need. I got the SD Light Year this winter, fits all of your criteria except like most solos it is not freestanding, in sale for $115 I think.

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
Randy
Cube Rat

Randy
Cube Rat
PostFri Apr 19, 2002 8:34 am 
Check the thread archives...there was a pretty beefy discussion on this topic a few months back. I remember there being some good info in it.

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostFri Apr 19, 2002 9:22 am 
The small keltys come in near three pounds. That's what I've been using, they're tight but OK for two and luxurious for one. Usually about $100-150.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Dante

Dante
PostFri Apr 19, 2002 10:37 am 
You might also look at the Mountain Hardware Trilight. I would not buy a non-Gore-Tex (Todd-Tex, etc.) single-wall tent like the Eureka. Condensation can be an issue. You sometimes get condensation in the ___-Tex tents, too, but the nexus lining on the inside wicks the condensation ofer a broad area so it doesn't drip and dries quickly when conditions are right.

3fngrs

3fngrs
PostMon Apr 22, 2002 4:56 pm 
If free standing really isnt an issue have you considered using a tarp? My Integral Designs Sil Shelter weighs in at 20 ozs including 6 stakes and guyline, I use my trekking poles for support. You can configure it any number of ways for roominess.